IGNORED

Emergency help/advice needed Toronto

dogman

Hello all. Bad timing for me with most people already left for the International.

I was trying to check my rear shock pressure before leaving tomorrow to International and towing my tent trailer. I just bought a hand bicycle pump to add pressure.

When I went to take psi I couldn't get a seal and lots of air came out. I tried putting air in with the hand pump and it wasn't going in, I played with the pump and think I broke it.

I can not now get any pressure psi reading with the two tire gauges I have.

Any suggestions of what to do, or what I broke without realizing?

I don't think I will be able to tow the trailer now if the pressure is gone.

Any and all advice and criticism is welcome.

Can you tell if the valve stem core on the shock is ok? See if the center is pushed in if it is its probably broke and you should be able to put a new one in. If all that is broke is your hand pump you can run with no air just be a harder ride till you get a new one. If you have an air compressor you can turn the regulator all the way down to 20 or 30 pounds and fill it that way also.

http://inspectapedia.com/water/Water_Tank_Air_Valve015-DFs.jpg

Edited by etcswjoe

bicycle pump may not work. If I remember correctly it will not hold the air in and it comes back out as fast as you put it in. You can use a gas station air hose but only put it in for a second at a time and then check it till you get it close to what you want and then leave it alone.(DO NOT USE ON Front forks) You may take a ride to the local pubs where the bikers hang and see if any of the guys riding the Electra glides have a zero loss hand pump or if there are any bicycle shops or maybe Walmarts you might find a zero loss pump. Bicycle shops will have one. Good Luck

Don't use gas station hose if their pressure is greater than 57 psi. You'll most likely blow the seals!!The volume of air that is needed is too small to try to get the correct amount in without blowing the seals. Unless you can turn the regulator down to low pressure and gradually build up, I wouldn't even try. A rear shock is over 400 bucks!!! Best to wait until you can find a riding buddy with a zero loss pump and be confident you're not going to blow the seals!!!

what about one of those 12 v plug in air pumps will that work for the shock it takes 30 min to air up 35 psi car tire ???????:confused24::confused07:

Blow the fuse, too much air and you loose air taking the hose off. Hand pump does not loose air and there is soo little amount of air the hand pump is all that is needed.

Brad

Blow the fuse, too much air and you loose air taking the hose off. Hand pump does not loose air and there is soo little amount of air the hand pump is all that is needed.

Brad

thanks Brad you just saved from making a 400.00 mistake in the future :cool10:

For what it's worth at this late date, I picked up the Harley pump for $56.00 at the local Harley dealer in Niagara on the Lake - Clare's Harley Davidson Niagara -

http://www.claresharleydavidson.com/custompage.asp?pg=map.

They are open 8 - 6 on Monday's and they are just off the Q.E.W. so it's right on your way if you take the Q.E.W. all the way in from Toronto. Of course, there's no guaranty they'll have one in stock, but you can call first. Failing that, let me know when you are coming through and I can meet you and we can use mine to pump you up for the rest of the trip. Just take it easy on the bumps and you should be OK even with the trailer. PM me if you want more info.

I'll be checking my email and this site till I hit the sack around eleven and I'll check again in the a.m.

Andy

Edited by darthandy
added info...

If you have access to a small (home) compressor with a regulator, set the regulator pressure to the PSI you want in the shock. Then just put in air until it stops, and the pressure will be set. This should get you on the road in an emergency. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD FOR THE FRONT FORKS!!! It takes very little volume and very low pressure for the front shocks (fork tubes). Use a zero loss hand pump for the front, and this is actually the preferred way for the rear also.

Thank you for all your help.

Relic was able to help me out and get the air back in and up to spec. for towing the trailer.

I will look at buying one of those hand pumps. With any luck they may have them at Pioneer when I get there tomorrow evening.

Thanks again for everyones help. Saddlebum even called me at 11pm saying he would come over to help.

This is a great site that attracts great people riding great bikes.

See you at the International tomorrow night.

I use a pump kit from Canadian Tire. It's a cordless unit that mounts to the wall, and comes with 2 units. 1 for tires, the other for air matresses etc. It goes slow so it works great for our application, and when we go on a trip, it includes a battery with a cig lighter cord on it. (my shock leaks down over time) Been using it for 3 yrs now.