IGNORED

One More Passing Light Question

halfwitt

I am installing my new OEM passing lights on my '07 tomorrow. There is a tremendous amount of information here on relays, installation, etc. As usual, the fine folks at VR.org make seemingly tough jobs easy.

I think I have all the answers I need except one...

Dingy posted a great relays101 document here: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43150

This document shows the diagram attached. I want to make sure I understand where I am going with terminal 85. I am going to run from 85 to my toggle switch and from my switch, I will tap into the wire of my choice detailed in the installation instruction chart attached. In my case, I want them on all the time so I will go from 85, to switch to Red/Yellow wire, correct?

Thanks all!

Thanks. I saw that relay diagram too. It differs from the Dingy document:

Dingy 85 -> Ground

Freebird 85 -> Switch

Dingy 86 ->Switch then switched power (misstated this as 85 in my original post)

Freebird 86 -> Switched power

Dingy 87 -> Battery

Freebird 87 -> Lights

Dingy 30 -> Lights

Freebird 30 -> Battery

I guess either way works? Is one way better than the other?

Thanks. I saw that relay diagram too. It differs from the Dingy document:

Dingy 85 -> Ground

Freebird 85 -> Switch

Dingy 86 ->Switch then switched power (misstated this as 85 in my original post)

Freebird 86 -> Switched power

Dingy 87 -> Battery

Freebird 87 -> Lights

Dingy 30 -> Lights

Freebird 30 -> Battery

I guess either way works? Is one way better than the other?

85 and 86 are the "control" terminals and polarity really makes no difference. For me I tapped the power from the auxiliary power ("cigarette lighter") plug, instead of any wire to the headlight. My reason is so if for some reason I blow the headlight fuse, the passing lights won't go out TOO! :shock3:

Then since my relay has an 87a terminal I ran the power to 87 as opposed to 30. I then used terminal 30 for the wire to the light bar. If you relay does not have an 87a terminal, then it makes no difference how you hook up 87 and 30.

If your relay has an 87a and you run power to 30, 87a will be "live" with 12v when your key is off.

Do yourself a favor and run a dedicated powerline from the battery to the relay.

#1 It will give the passing lights all the power they want and they will be as bright as they were designed to be.

#2 You wont have to do any splicing into factory wiring, I hate doing that as it can turn into trouble later down the road.

I have run driving lights without switches on the last 3 bikes I owned as I want them on at all times. Good luck with the install :thumbsup2:

Agree with squidley, I pulled the tank and ran the wires through with the rest of them, do yourself a favor and wrap it with wire loom. Also use some of that loom to put over the wires where they enter the bracket and go up to the lights to prevent any chaffing and future work. Fuse as close to the battery as possible protects the wire.

If you did not do it considering ordering a bracket to hold the lights out farther so you don't have to unbolt them to pull the fairing.

Get some big fluffy blankets and cover the bike in your work area to prevent scratches to forks and fender.

I see the "relay" come up quite often in the posts..My question is should you use the switch to connect the ground to power the relay or should you use the switch get 12 volts to power the relay. I have seen several diagrams with the relay used both ways...comments or suggestions?

I see the "relay" come up quite often in the posts..My question is should you use the switch to connect the ground to power the relay or should you use the switch get 12 volts to power the relay. I have seen several diagrams with the relay used both ways...comments or suggestions?

It will work either way as far as I know, but if I install a switch, I put it on the 12v+ to power the relay....

:2cents:

One more question on relays which is the best to use for driving lights and where do you get it from?

Thanks Richie R

30A from Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

BTW I agree with Squidley about the placement of the switch between the power source and the relay. But I'm prejudice in that years ago having the switch in the neutral(ground) side of a 120V circuit almost killed me.:shock3:

The relay is the switch for the power running from the battery to the light. The light switch , when thrown, opens or closes the relay. The stock light uses a small switch that you install by the cigarette lighter, I used this switch to operate the relay.