IGNORED

The stock sound

Galapagos

Have you drilled your pipes and liked it?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you drilled your pipes and liked it?

• Yes I have faltered.
    • No, I never touched it Judge! I dont care what she says!
    • I like the drilled out sound.

I cut out the back of the mufflers and went crazy with the drill. First two holes that turned to four holes that turned to six drilled holes. I am a reformed Harley drag pipe guy. I went mad I think.

I kinda like the rumble of the small block Chevy sound. But as I age I also appreciate the quiet morning runs that do not wake the birds in their nests. I am converting back to stock.

Question. How many here regretted drilling their pipes and like the stock sound?

Anybody need some drilled pipes?

Edited by Man of Steel

Ok, I'll try again... got knocked offline due to the severe storms rolling thru here.

In my youth I had thrush glass packs on my 73 Formula 400. It had traction bars, 'L' width tires, 4 speed Hurst shifter and an engine that had been "tweaked" a little:whistling:.

Long story short, the glass pacs while at first pleasing, became downright annoying as I got pulled over every time "I pulled something" so i got rid of them.

With my current hearing loss, I believe I'll stick with my stock pipes on the RSV.

I like mine stock. :clap2: I like the sound of the stock mufflers. :thumbsup2: I can hear them over the wind and engine and I can't hear $#it! :backinmyday:

I follow others that have "louder" pipes and have to stay back aways just to hear my radio. :bawling: Other wise I can hear just fine like they are,,,,STOCK! :beer:

Bryan

I put my new pipes in a box and stored them. I have rk pipes , drilled and mounted and I like the mellow rumble. No highway drone, just enough to satisfy me. Now my truck, I cut the thrush muffler off of it and pitched it when I was on my way to gun season. It wasn't bad in town but the highway was awful.

Ok, I'll try again... got knocked offline due to the severe storms rolling thru here.

In my youth I had thrush glass packs on my 73 Formula 400. It had traction bars, 'L' width tires, 4 speed Hurst shifter and an engine that had been "tweaked" a little:whistling:.

Long story short, the glass pacs while at first pleasing, became downright annoying as I got pulled over every time "I pulled something" so i got rid of them.

With my current hearing loss, I believe I'll stick with my stock pipes on the RSV.

I had a 74 Gremlin with a V8. Glasspacks, Holley carb and headers. My neighbors hated me.

Man of Steel: "I had a 74 Gremlin with a V8. Glasspacks, Holley carb and headers. My neighbors hated me."

Yeah tell me about it... I'm sure they weren't in love with me either....

Now I cringe every time I hear a super loud bike or car.

You know what they say : "What comes around goes around":bang head:...LOL

I had a 71 Maverick Grabber with a V-8 and 4 speed. Dual glass packs for awhile, law man didnt like them real well and man did they drone at speed. They went by by when we discovered Corvair Turbo mufflers. They were the hot ticket then, now is flowmasters. Oh and I put the RK's back on mine this week to give them another try.

First car was a '47 Chevy. Bought it in '56 for $75.00. I had tried college for a year, now needed something to drive to work and for fun. Put on a split exhaust manifold, dual glass packs. What a racket those old cast iron 6 cylinders made! These new "tuner" 4 cyl. loud exhausts can't compare.

After that was a '49 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 (first year for the V-8) and of course it also had to have duals. 303 Cubic inches (if I remember correctly), and way ahead of the Chevy and Ford overhead valve V-8's. Gobs of torque and Hydra-Matic transmission.

Those were the days.

I have Samson 29" turn outs. Loud, noisy, odnoxious, sweet sounding, awesome looking pipes. I can think of other things worse than loud pipes. Maybe if we all keep the stock pipes, we can keep the cassette decks, then paint all our bikes the same. It's called individuality. What I do, you may not like and vise versa. Too each their own. If my pipes are too loud for you, ride with someone else, no skin off my chin.

I had a Kaw 900 Z1 with open headers that I ran all the time...

I was such a BUTT, for I never gave my nighbors or others a chance and ruiend thier silence for 6 years.

Im sure they were happy to see me move..

I must say I love the sound of my stock GW 1800...all the noisy bikes can stay behind me..

:twing:

I have an 84 Honda V65 sabre The bike has the stock pipes but the water drain hole near the bottom of the muffler has widened to about an inch over the years. I keep it treated with rustoluem but its rusting from the inside. Any way just that little bit of opening gives it a nice rumble, but too much more and I don't think I'd be enjoying it.

The 86 is bone stock and i especially like the sound both over 3000rpm and as I'm coasting down from speed. Rummmmbbllyyy.

I am not one of the wake babies and scare little old ladies crowd I prefer quiet, the quieter nthe better. I can understand if it is a performance issue, but most loud bikes are loud just for the sake of loudness. Most loud bikes casn barely get out of their own way. You don't want your bike to sound like it is powerfull you want a bike that is so powerfull you can't contain the sound.

Al

Riding beside Paysaw and his Honda ST1000 I could not believe how quiet it was!

It could have been an electric bike!

I like to hear a LITTLE...but certainly not of the window rattling type!......although I did have a straight thru 4 into 1 set up on my 83 900 Seca years ago. But that was short lived. It was a full race set up that was just TOO loud.

Some bikes are too loud, some are too quiet. I like to hear my bike, love the sound of the Bubs. I have never liked the sound of drilled out pipes, do it right.

I have the Bubs also and love the back-off rumble. They are much quieter than the Hard Krome Double D's I had on my V-Star 1100 when rollin' down the highway, but they really open up when you hit the RPM's!

I had a 74 Gremlin with a V8. Glasspacks, Holley carb and headers. My neighbors hated me.

Pictures of 2 of my Gremlins in past.

Tan one was called a Super Gremi, dealer put side pipes and decals on a V8 304 gremlin.

Orange one is my 1st rebuild project. I took a less than pristine Gremlin, painted it & put in a 390-4spd from an AMX.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/72gremlin.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/74gremlin.jpg

My Gremlin was one of the cars I loved the best.

I had Firebirds, 4wd pickups, Crown Vic poilce Specials....

I always loved that Gremlin. The only two cars to beat me off the line were a Vega with a 327 and a hillbilly in a Pontiac wagon with who knows what under the hood.

The Gremmie had an Edelbrock torquer manifold, Holley 650 and Hooker headers. That car ran nice. M50's in the front and M60's in the rear with Cragar mags. I am developing pimples just thinking about those days.

I always wanted to throw in a 400, same motor mounts I hear, just wondered about the cooling.

unlike loud planes.....:stirthepot:

That is an extraordinarily strange comparison. In fact, there is absolutely NO connection between the two.

First of all, NO airplanes are ever deliberately made louder by ANYONE, let alone inconsiderate people who only care about making a point of how little they care for the rights of others. In fact, every effort is made to make ALL airplanes as quiet as possible while still achieving their intended purpose.

Second, federal laws force all planes in built-up areas to conform to often strange flight plans designed for nothing else but noise abatement.

With minor exceptions, all airports were initially built where they did not cause noise problems for existing land owners. When stupid people decide to buy land and build in existing flight paths, they have no right at all to complain about the airplane noise from the airport that was there first. This is equally true about stupid people who build near a race track or existing gun range.

All of this is totally different from inconsiderate people who make their bikes loud simply because they want to annoy other people and make them look. Those of us who value our rights do not have any way of avoiding those people who get their kicks out of knowing how much they bother others.

The ONLY way a comparison with a plane could ever be accurate is if you can point to one where the pilot deliberately flew low and close to unsuspecting people on the ground. And in that case, I would condemn the pilot just as loud.

Goose