IGNORED

Wellhead Gas

FROG MAN

I have a generator which runs on LP or NG. Can it be used on raw wellhead gas like we have run into the house for cooking and heat. We are filtering the water at the pipeline tap but still the gas has some water vapor. Is anybody doing or done this? Is it possible or should I stick with LP for the generator? The well is located on my property so we are the first customer and free gas.

yes you can , but it takes a drier and volume regulator . there used tobe a company in your area that made a kit to convert your genset , i'll check my records to try and find him .

to make a homemade one , run the gas line to a air drier like that is used for paint sprayers , harbor freight has one , then to accumulator tank , a lp tank is good , then to a nat gas regulator . that system should work on any nat gas appliance .

Thom

I'll be watching this closely as it would be nice to buy a natural gas generator(s) to take care of my house and my moms house. I also have free gas. This last power outage lasted 4 days and cost well over $1000 when you add in the costs of lost contents in refrigerators and gas to run 2 generators.

When I do buy a NG generator however I will make sure to get the orifices/parts necessary to convert it over to LP. as i will take it with me to the farm when i retire and it doesn't have NG.

Will the regulators work on both NG and LP?

THOM

I called the local Generac service center. They said YES no problem people hook them up all the time. I have a drier on the line now to separate water and a new regulator I can use if needed. I'm going forward with my installation. I should have it going soon.

OH one more thing. There is a local company here who builds lp nat gas conversion kits. You can take any portable gasoline generator and hook it up to LP or Nat gas. I might do this to as my portable gen is a 5500 with a 10 horse briggs on it.

Kwel ! I new there was a company up there that made the kits for LP and NG . keep us updated . what you really need is a old NG flywheeler motor . and for anybody that has a NG well you can convert a RV refer to NG .

solar cell , deep cycle battery and LED lites = off the grid

Thom

• 2 weeks later...

Working on this project a little on the weekends. I have the gen set on an elevated pad and the transfer switch mounted. Doing the NG plumbing now. I have yet to wire into my electrical box,ground the generator,and connect to NG.Got to cut grass and weed eat next weekend.

do you have 100 amp disconnect or 200 amp?

If it's 100 amp you can hook it up like this.

Please disreguard the satelite cables.

If its 200 amp you have to hook up differently

I plug my Ranger 8 welder generator into the recptacle at the bottom and then flip the switch. This hookup insures the service side is not energized while hooked up to my generator!

Edited by CaptainJoe

New generator is finally online. I done a load test this morning. Automatic transfer switch and natural gas hookup works great. I still have some cleanup work to do but were now ready for the next power outage. I could have used it last Friday evening we were down for 6 hours.