IGNORED

Roughness felt when leaning/turning

Guest tx2sturgis

If the handling remains OK, and the bike still tracks well in the turns, I would guess its either a brake pad and/or its the soft weather cover around the hub, maybe it has some debris stuck in it. This usually happens in a lean to one side or the other, but not both.

If the handling is getting bad, and the 'rubbing' noise happens during a lean in either direction, or you feel a wobble, uneven or unsteady tracking, or difficulty maintaining a line, then it may be the swingarm bearings, wheel bearings, or the drive hub splines or pins are getting dry. If you feel a sort of 'rumble' in the seat at low speeds, that can mean its the rear drive gears out of alignment, or possibly worn from lack of gear oil.

Just a few guesses here.

Interesting, I have Metzler tires. :detective:

I wanted to say that I don't hear a noise (the exhaust is quite loud), it's only a "feel" thing. I'm going to take it to a local shop and see what they say.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Exactly what my RSMV did when I had Metzler tires on it. The front tire had a brken belt in it.

:farmer:

First thing...look real close at the rear tire, especially in the tread grooves. Look for cracks/splits within the grooves. The Metzelers are notorious for losing chunks of rubber off the rear tire. Also, what air pressure are you running? You need at least 42 up front and 46-48 in the rear. Miles on those tires? We need more specific info here.

What Tx2Sturgis says holds true but check out the tires first.

If the tires are nearing end of life, then it is normal for them to get "grainy" especially in the turns. It is definitely a vibration that can be felt as well as heard. If you only feel it in turns, then it almost surely is the tires. Anything else, like a bearing going bad, would show up in straight and level, too, I think. Me, when I start hearing that howl and feel the graininess in the turns, I know that the tires are soon to be replaced.

Took RSV to a mechanic and he tightened the front fork head tube bearings (he said they were very loose) and replaced the front wheel bearings. After he tested the bike, he said it was much better and ready to go.

Riding home, I didn't get far and felt the "roughness" again. It's not always there and sometimes rougher, sometimes not so rough. I didn't go back because it was already 6:30 Saturday night. :depressed:

The mechanic seems very knowledgeable, owned a metric dealership (not Yamaha) for over 20 years. Do I go back and and have him try something else or do I just bite the bullet, find a Yamaha dealer and take it there? :confused07:

Took RSV to a mechanic and he tightened the front fork head tube bearings (he said they were very loose) and replaced the front wheel bearings. After he tested the bike, he said it was much better and ready to go.

Riding home, I didn't get far and felt the "roughness" again. It's not always there and sometimes rougher, sometimes not so rough. I didn't go back because it was already 6:30 Saturday night. :depressed:

The mechanic seems very knowledgeable, owned a metric dealership (not Yamaha) for over 20 years. Do I go back and and have him try something else or do I just bite the bullet, find a Yamaha dealer and take it there? :confused07:

I wouldn't spend anymore money on trying to figure it out until you have wore out those tires and put new (different) ones on the bike. It also can be caused by how much air you have in the shocks. If I get to much in the back one it gives me a little vibration.

What do you mean by "use a bar and see if you can move the rear wheel at all"?

Raise the wheel up off the ground and stick some sort of bar between the spokes on the wheel and push it up and down or maybe a better turm is side to side to see if there is any play in the wheel. If the outer bearing is going out it will move some. Mine moved about a 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch but mine was pretty shot. My back tire was also wearing a little funny. What I mean is make sure the bar is on the center of the hub and also the top of the rim at an agle so you can put pressure on the wheel to see if it moves side to side.

Ken-

You mentioned you have Metzlers.

When my first rear tire was getting to the end of it's useful life, it began to "cup". Because of the tread design of the rear tire, it doesn't cup like you would normally see. The treat has points (like on a triangle) that point inwards towards the center of the tire. The points didn't wear as quickly as the rest of the tire and so it rode uneven in the turns.

Look at your rear tire from both the rear and the side and see if you have this uneven wear.

Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions!

When I got home last night, first thing I did was look at the rear tire and I'm pretty sure it is cupped. The front is much more smooth when running my hand around the tire. The rear feels like there are "points" where the grooves end near the center of the tire. Would that be classified it as cupped?

If it is the tire, am I risking my safety if I continue to run it until I find the $$$ to replace it?

That would be cupping and likely the cause of your roughness in the turn.

Is it safe? If you're having cupping like I had, your wear bars are probably gone or near gone.

You'll be ok for a short time but don't plan any cross country trips or high speed chases.

Dave

I didn't notice anything concerning wear bars when I looked at the tire. I'll look again tonight.

What causes cupping?

Usually the front tire gets cupped much more than the rear. Car tires cup too. Cupping may be the wrong word, though. There is also something called scalloping (I think) but I'm not sure the difference.

Either way, the cause is the fact that the tires do different work, and never get rotated to even out the uneven wear.

Had almost worn out Metzelers, every time I went around a couple of certain turns I had the same thing going on, sounded like from the rear. Checked out the tires, they were getting scalloped so I figured that was it. New Kenda Kruze's proved that idea to be right.

Problem solved!!! :cool10::cool10::cool10:

Had the new tires installed this morning and it's like I have a new bike. I was already making plans for the leveling links but after riding home, I don't think I'll be needing them.

I can't believe the difference!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Best $12 I've spent in a long time. :322: