IGNORED

Refoaming seat

dacheedah

I am in the process of re-foaming my wife's seat. I know that Butler does it reasonable butt I need it done asap and don't have the down time. I have cut in the bottom foam and set in a gel pad. The top foam is some lite density foam, has anyone tried memory foam to replace the topper??

I just took out the foam Rick used and added in a higher density foam. I purchased a excerise matt from K-Mart. It's about 1/2" thick and gray in color. One side is smooth , the other side had small ridges.

The reason I replaced Rick's foam was that for me it was too soft and felt that I was bottoming out in short time and then sitting the same as the stock seat. This has solved that problem for me now. Added it to the pillon for the Mrs. as well.

Larry

I marked some lines with an autograph pen on several points to line up later.

Ok, first I tried putting the gel in the top pillow foam. After assembly I did not like how it looked.

Next I ended up cutting in the bottom foam and inserting a gel pad. Removed the top foam and we picked up some dense memory foam from a twin bed topper. It had the egg crate on one side and I made the mistake of putting the crate facing up, looked ugly upon reassembly. Pulled apart and flipped smoothe side up.

Now I grabbed some stainless staples and resecured the seat, looks factory. We went on a half hour ride and the wife really likes it.

You know guys,

This has been a continious learning process for me ever since I started doing this for you all. I read everything I can on motorcycle seats and analyse every builder's seat I can get my hands on to see how they construct their seats, to improve my process.

And on the topic of firmer foam, I have been successful in adding an insert of 1 1/2" firmer foam in several seats which I have reworked and I've attached a picture of an 88 Venture seat I did a while back. This has worked out good for those who feel their foam is not firm enough.

And on seats that are not the Pillow Top, I have been using just a 1" memory foam to top the seat to mostly give it a better shape. But it also helps reduce pressure points. Then on the Pillow Tops I have started using 2" memory foam to give it a better pillow shape, where the jury is still out on this. But I still feel the shape of the foundation foam is the most important part of a comfortable seat.

But regardless, I have an unwritten promise to you guys that if you have a problem with a seat that I've reworked, (just like the big guys) send it back and I'll rework it to the best of my ability for nothing. But even here, the cost of shipping can get to you if you are watching costs. Remember, not every seat solution will work for everyone?

Hope this helped,

Rick

Good for you solving your seating issue. So is the seat now thicker with more support or softer/firmer than stock seat was?

Larry

Firm Insert.jpg

You know guys,

This has been a continious learning process for me ever since I started doing this for you all. I read everything I can on motorcycle seats and analyse every builder's seat I can get my hands on to see how they construct their seats, to improve my process.

And on the topic of firmer foam, I have been successful in adding an insert of 1 1/2" firmer foam in several seats which I have reworked and I've attached a picture of an 88 Venture seat I did a while back. This has worked out good for those who feel their foam is not firm enough.

And on seats that are not the Pillow Top, I have been using just a 1" memory foam to top the seat to mostly give it a better shape. But it also helps reduce pressure points. Then on the Pillow Tops I have started using 2" memory foam to give it a better pillow shape, where the jury is still out on this. But I still feel the shape of the foundation foam is the most important part of a comfortable seat.

But regardless, I have an unwritten promise to you guys that if you have a problem with a seat that I've reworked, (just like the big guys) send it back and I'll rework it to the best of my ability for nothing. But even here, the cost of shipping can get to you if you are watching costs. Remember, not every seat solution will work for everyone?

Hope this helped,

Rick

Totally agree with you here Rick. I do think seat shape is the #1 concern as well as addressing any pressure points the rider is experiencing. Seats are such a subjective matter , much like oil & tires :whistling:, that what works for one may not be for the next guy. I think you do do a good job on seat shaping and maybe when your next customer requests seat changes a little background info from them would be in order. Try to see just what they think they are looking for in a seat, softer, firmer, less pushing forward , etc. Even then you'll still be limited by the covers shape to some degree short of a total recovering.

Like you say on correcting or redoing a seat the shipping both ways is a tough pill to swallow. You can take pride in knowing that the majority of the owners who have had you redo their seats have be totally happy. :thumbsup2:

Larry

Rick, heard nothing but great things about your seats and that is no easy feat, if you haven't noticed we do have a few cranky guys around here, and nothing makes a person crankier than an uncomfortable back side. I won't even comment about anyone's back seat partner. The last ride I was on had three guys whose saddles you had redone and that's what put my wife on my ear. Just couldn't wait for it to be done and I ride daily.

I can tell you that I fit and fit and fit and was frustrated and walked away at one point during my reassembly of the reassembly of the reassembly. In the end I wish I could have waited for the off season, it's money well spent.

Carbon one, I took a lot of time to take out what I was adding so I took 3/4 inch foam from the foundation and inserted a gel pad. I reassembled it and we tried it and while it was better it just wasn't there. Chris sat on some of Rick's saddle work a couple weekends ago and wanted her saddle "more like that". Next we removed the top foam completely and replaced it with memory foam. On our test ride the wife said she sits about an inch higher so the foam has more density. I can tell you we have a tempur pedic bed and not all memory foam or any other foam is the same, so I got a lesson or three in thickness, density, open cell, closed cell . . . and I can't tell you how many places don't have what you are looking for. When people ask what you are trying to do and I begin to explain you have the feeling you are speaking to a puppy with blank stairs and the head cock.

I have a friend who did this with his GW and he said when it gets cold the gel isn't as comfy ( I do believe he has heated seats, but he keeps summer and winter seats.)

Wife has had several surgeries and has a fusion L4-L5 & L5 S1, I just need her to be comfy and enjoy our journey through life. It took us an unscheduled hotel stop to get to Don's MD and we have been fiddling with padding, water bottles, air cushions and about everything but a whoopie coushin since.

Redoing a seat mail order fashion as Rick does can't be the easiest thing to do either. Its difficult enough doing a trial and error thing for one self or with the owner of the seat being right there.. We all have different requirements based on our size, shape, weight and height, yet Rick seems to satisfy the majority of his customers. A prime example I bought one of his reworked seats some years back from another member, who was most likly shorter then me. I found myself sitting too far forward. When I uncovered the seat I found Rick had added a build up peice to the back side of the drivers seat, I removed this and drapped it over the nose of the saddle leaving the actual lower seat portion Rick reworked allone. Now I sit back a little further and the build up on the front portion keeps me from sliding forward. Most importantly the portion were I plant my butt that Rick reworked is extremely comfortable were with the stock saddle I would get a sore tail bone. Sadly the cover of this seat finally gave up the battle with UV and age, and once again I have had to replace the seat.

I agree with Rick's theory about seat shape being so important. Remember those old steel tractor seats that had a really smooth contoured shape? A person can sit on one of those all day. Saddles are also all day seats, on rougher rides as well.

I found a hard backed, foam covered car seat pad that I've been using in my truck to bolster up the saggy stock foam. I have thousands of miles on it...and using a heat gun and much swearing, am working on molding it to be suitable for my bike.

Next step is to track down some dense memory foam...not the fluffy mattress and pillow stuff.

I have an extra seat so I'm playing with different shapes and materials to try and fab up something better than the 25 year old stock foam. I'm nowhere near there yet but I can definitely recommend an electric bread knife for carving with...something I learned from a seat modder in Australia...who completely cured two very painful BMW seats for me. They looked only subtly different from stock but what a difference.

I have discarded most of the stock foam and even cut into the plastic base. It has been an interesting project.