well the fan is wired directly to ground. don't know why. but is there a way to test the system to find out why is there a relay and sensor in system if there is where should i look for them. read a thread that said to jumper sensor to make fan run. just don't know where to find it. trying to fix a bunch of problems so i can ride this parts bike.

I get the impression that your fan runs all the time...is this the problem?

The black wire to the fan is grounded (black wires are all ground) intentionally. The blue wire to the fan is switched 12 volt power----it's controlled by the Fan motor relay in the headlight bucket. This relay has a Blue, a blue with green stripe, and 2 red with white stripe wires. The Blue with green stripe wire goes to the temperature switch, and that's behind the right fairing. The switch grounds this wire when the temperature gets to about 204 degrees, and picks up the fan relay, which starts the fan. Some have installed auxillary switches that ground the blue/green wire, so make sure you don't have a switch turned on. Then, unplug the blue/green from the temperature switch. If the fan is still running, we'll go on from here.

Frank D.

yes it was the b/g wire that was grounded so the relay is ok. hooked it back up to sensor. will find out if it gets hot and if it does just have to replace sensor. wow something was easy. thanks:shock3: now what will happen????

You're welcome....glad to help. On the Mk I (83-85) the fan comes up just before the temperature needle gets to the top end of the green, and that's about 205 degrees. The gauge being that high concerns some, but that hot is no problem.

Frank