I have recently purchased a 1999 rsv. I previously rode a goldwing. I am enjoying the different ride provided by the venture. But now I am experiencing a clutch slip at the higher rep range. When applying throttle it is like the clutch lever was engaged and the bike revs up. I will change out the clutch fluid and check the clutch spring and I am hoping this will fix the problem. My question is how long should a clutch replacement take and how much will this set me back?

i cant speak about how much but i do know that when i bought my 06 two 1/2 years ago mine would slip two up taking off up a hill and it was the clutch disc but i had the dealer fix it for free. i've read some post that upgrading to the barret clutch doesn't take that long so i wouldn't think the regular clutch would take more than two or three hours. of course if i were to do it ,it might take 8-12 hours. good luck on your clutch. i'm fixing to change my clutch fluid out later today or wed.

All good advise here, if you have the means, or an extra clutch spring, I would do a double spring on the clutch. Do a complete fluid change as this will help too. You can do the clutch in about 30 minutes on the sidestand when you get to NY....

just got this on another post.

Guest scarylarry

Lot of people do it different, but the gasket will come off easier if the cover is warm..

I use a paper plate trace out the cover and mark where the bolts go on the plate be sure to mark the 12:00 bolt for a starter point then as you remove a bolt put in the plate..

The rest is easy...

SkyDoc_17 has the complete package you will need and excellent instructions on how to do this. The longest part is scaling the old gasket off the cover. The rest is very easy to do. I would suggest that you at least change the spring to the one SkyDoc_17 has. Also use the Yamaha gasket because it is impregnated with the sealer so you will not have to add any sealer hence getting a cleaner job done. Believe me it's so easy a caveman could do it :-) hell I was even able to do it.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

Easy fix and you have options.

1) Replace the pressure plate and springs with stock.

2) Replace the pressure plate with the Barret upgrade SR-2 conversion.

3) Add some heavy duty springs.

4) Replace whole clutch with stock or Barret.

5) There are a couple of other mods floating around the forum.

Take your pick. They are all easy and none take very long.

See Skydoc on the forum or Rick at Buckeye

I did the complete Barret on mine and have been very happy with the result.

Mike

Hey Roger,

Welcome to the forum! There are a few people here that know just a bit about the Second Gen. RSV! I have replied to your email, and I have those kit parts in stock.

Once payment is received, you will have your Clutch Spring Kit before next weekend.

I will send you a file with complete written instructions, with color pics. It's a shame that you discovered our "little group" because your bike is broken, but it is your good luck that we are all here to make you feel at home, and will have you back on the road in no time. Stick around, you may accidentally find out a few things about your bike, and make some new friends that share the same passion for these wonderful machines as you do.

It's great to have you with us!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks everyone. Thanks Earl. I sent you an email. I will contact you tomorrow. To answer the question as to how many kms. I have just turned 80,000 kilometers. Not sure what that is in miles but I think it would be around 60,000 miles.

The info from the members of this site has been well worth $12.00. I will be joining for sure as I know I will get the bike back on the road with no problems soon.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Roger

PS: Just ordered the Clutch Spring kit. I will post on how the repair went and what difference the update makes. If I can do this update clutch spring repair any one can.

Roger

Edited by xxRoger1xx

You get a hold of Earl (skydoc ) today and make him a Paypal payment I bet he ships in the morning. Not sure about you being in Canada but I have always gotten my stuff within days. Earl is very accommodating.

Bought stuff from Earl and had em in about 5 days without having to pay a premium for shipping!!

I got the upgrade kit from earl asap. Thanks Earl. The instructions were clear and the upgrade went without a hitch. I took the bike for a short drive and the clutch working just fine. Unfortunately unable to put the bike through it's paces at this time as I have a nail in the rear tire. I sure hope that the rear tire replacement is the final repair that I have to do for awhile. Thanks eveyone for the advise. Much appreciated. Should anyone else have the same clutch problem I highly recommend dealing with Earl. He was quick and very helpfull.

Roger:mustache:

As long as you have the rear wheel off, be sure to clean and grease the pins while you are there. If you are taking it in, most shops will not do the grease unless you ask.

BTW to get to the above mentioned pins there is an almost invisible snap ring that has to be removed and then the star shaped piece can be removed. It is not absolutely necessary that the "star" be put back exactly how it came out, but it will go back in easier if you do.

Use some fine grit emery cloth to polish the pins then lube them with a high quality grease. Most of us use the Honda Moly 60. It's available from Honda motorcycle dealers, but cheaper from a Honda car dealer.

Oh while you have the rear wheel off it is probably a good idea too to remove the 4 acorn nuts and pull the final drive, so you can lube the splines on the forward end of the drive shaft.