Still having issues with a wobble in front end of 2007 RSTD with 93K KLM (57K miles).

Have new front tyre balanced and fitted, new steering head bearings and everything seems nice and tight. Wobble happens at about 40kph (25mph). Not noticable whilst accelerating/braking but if speed is constant in a straight line and smoth road wobble develops. Seems OK at higher speeds. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.:223:

Guest tx2sturgis

Have you checked the swing arm bearing?

I just went thru this and it tightened up the piggish handling on my venture.

Glenson, to be able to assist, I would need a lot more info, to be able to eliminate possibilities.

What brand and model number of tires do you now have on the bike, front and rear.

What tire pressures are you running.

You say the front tire is newly balanced...how...what method...rim weights or centramatic, or what ?

Miles:detective:

Think I found cause of wobble. Rear tyre Avon Venom donw 16K klm (10K miles) and has two seriously worn patches in close proximity to each other, rest of tyre ok Check tyre weekly and clean tyre/wheel usually each fortnight. It would seem worn patches were always at a point where they could not been seen. The question now is what caused this to happen. Will put up 3 photos showing worn patches and good part of tyre.[ATTACH]69507[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69508[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69509[/ATTACH]

Glenson, you started this thread by stating that you replaced the front tire.........

WHY....oh WHY did someone not look at the rear tire VERY closely when it was time to replace the front tire ?????

As for me, I always replace both the front tire and the rear tire as a set. 100 % of the time.

It is SO important to look at that rear tire, and roll the bike forward or aft to look at ALL of the rear tire, so that things like this do not happen.

After looking at the pictures of your rear tire...THAT is the problem with your bike, and...'nuff said.

Glenson, you started this thread by stating that you replaced the front tire.........

WHY....oh WHY did someone not look at the rear tire VERY closely when it was time to replace the front tire ?????

As for me, I always replace both the front tire and the rear tire as a set. 100 % of the time.

It is SO important to look at that rear tire, and roll the bike forward or aft to look at ALL of the rear tire, so that things like this do not happen.

After looking at the pictures of your rear tire...THAT is the problem with your bike, and...'nuff said.

Why would you replace the rear and the front at the same time? I get twice the mileage on the front tire. Just curious. :confused24:

hunter 1500, the reason I always replace both tires at the same time, is simply a safety issue, because I want to know for a fact that my tires are going to take me from point A to point B with zero issues. There is always the unforeseen, but mechanically I need to be assured of my tire conditions.

Given that I have my own tire changing equipment...a Snap On electronic computerized wheel balancer, and a Snap On pneumatic and hydraulic tire changer...I am used to going through tires, and changing them myself. In 2003 I went through 10 "sets" of tires in one year.

The vast majority of motorcycle riders have underinflated tires (so do car drivers), and most motorcycle riders have no idea what the correct pressures they should run in their tires, let alone how to correctly inspect their tires. Case in point...the evidence of someone on this thread having their front tire replaced, and neither the bike owner or the shop that did the front tire took a close look at the condition of the rear tire.

I can afford to take off a 1/2 worn tire from the front, rather than "trying" to make it last as long as the new rear tire. Rather than guessing and hoping, I would rather be certain.

I believe that every motorcycle rider, male or female, should be intimately familiar with their bike's tires, the correct pressures, and properly inspect the tires all the way around, not just from a bird's eye view. The tire's contact patch is our lifeline to the road.

:detective: