IGNORED

towing a bike with cycle-tow?

zellers474

slodadof 2 I agree. But this is for a friend of mine. Flyinfool do you know what the weight limits are? I didn't see them listed anywhere.

No I don't know what the weight limits are, that is why I brought up the point.

They also say to NOT make any tight turns because of the amount the bike will lean in the turn. This sounds to me like they know of some other issues and are putting out just enough to cover them if you have a problem. They do not say how tight is to tight or what will happen. I think it might be ok for a short rescue mission but I don't think I would want to go any significant distance with this setup. This is purely my gut feeling.

From an engineering view just what I can see from the pics.

The weight of the bike is cantilevered a LONG way out the back of the hitch, add in the forces generated if you hit a good bump, those gussets to the main support channel on the bottom sure look small to me. It might be fine, it just looks iffy for something with the weight of a Venture. 1st or 2nd gen. As that lever arm gets longer you are putting more stress on your hitch. A Class III 2" reciever is rated for 500lbs max tongue weight. that is assuming that the ball is within about a foot of the receiver. if you get out 2 feet then you can only have 250 lbs to get the same force. Our bikes front end plus this hitch is well over that number.

I would ask a lot of questions and get the answers in writing. And still might not do it.

There was someone a bunch of years ago with a similar system, but they said it was for 500cc or less bikes only. A full size bike was to much weight. They also are no longer around.

I believe I read in the owners manual (2nd gen) that the engine must be running to provide lubrication to the transmission and should never be towed. :confused07:

That's right. The big Ball Bearing outside the angled Gear will go south first.

I needed to modify/edit my original post. I posted before I Googled the one you were asking about. Mine is different but works the same. Mine will crank down to ground level and it also pivots while towing. I pulled mine out and took pictures. Might throw it on Craigs List in case somebody wants to gamble.

I wouldn't use it again. Tried it one time on my KLR650 and it was scary. The bike is strapped by the front wheel it leaned like crazy on just light turns.:shock3:

I added straps and that didn't help. Haven't used it since.

I wouldn't use it for a heavy bike like ours. The KLR was 400lbs.

Here's the link for the type I have:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Oldenkamp/RHMC1SV.html?feed=npn&gclid=CO6Jur-xlbECFccBRQodQAWwhA

Edited by KIC