IGNORED

spark plug socket?

went to NAPA this morning to get a spark plug socket to change my plugs(none of mine fit the NGK). Was advised by buddy up there that it is 18mm and they don't carry a spark plug socket to fit it....OK here comes stupid question,WHAT DO YOU GUYS USE TO CHANGE YOUR PLUGS WITH? Just a regular 18mm deep socket? or do I have to get one from the Yamaha dealer.OR??????????

18 mm thin wall deep socket. There are some that are too thick to go in there. I have several that will fit so not hard to find. I have the socket 3/8s drive with a u-joint and short extenison and it works great. Break loose take ratchet off and use fingers.

18 mm thin wall deep socket. There are some that are too thick to go in there. I have several that will fit so not hard to find. I have the socket 3/8s drive with a u-joint and short extenison and it works great. Break loose take ratchet off and use fingers.

THANKS YAMMER!!!!! I almost pm'ed you before I posted it because I knew you would know;)

:sign yeah that:

Most hardware stores sell sockets as single items so you buy just the one you need. SK Wayne, Snap On, Craftman, and a lot of others will slip in there fine if they are not impact sockets.

You should be able to find a 3/8 18mm deep well without too much trouble. The spark plug sockets are 6 point but a 12 point will work for ya to.

Mike

Most hardware stores sell sockets as single items so you buy just the one you need. SK Wayne, Snap On, Craftman, and a lot of others will slip in there fine if they are not impact sockets.

You should be able to find a 3/8 18mm deep well without too much trouble. The spark plug sockets are 6 point but a 12 point will work for ya to.

Mike

Just another stupid question but why don't anyone make a true spark plug socket with the little rubber do hicky in it to keep from breaking the plug........jus asking.....

Just another stupid question but why don't anyone make a true spark plug socket with the little rubber do hicky in it to keep from breaking the plug........jus asking.....

Plug companies pay them not to???:rotfl: I haven't broke any on the bike like that but several on car.

If you can't find what ya need you haven't check McMaster-Carr yet. :big-grin-emoticon:

They have a bit of a selection.

Just ask Flyinfool. :rotf:

Mike

WHAT??????

I have never broke a plug using just a deep well socket. I have broken plugs using a plug socket.

The rubber insert is not to protect the plug, it is to hold the plug into the socket while you get it started in the hole.

:sign yeah that:That is the one I use and love it. :thumbsup2:

Same here. Works great.

WHAT??????

I have never broke a plug using just a deep well socket. I have broken plugs using a plug socket.

The rubber insert is not to protect the plug, it is to hold the plug into the socket while you get it started in the hole.

:confused24:

I always break the plug loose with a socket,remove the socket and slide a rubber hose over the end of the plug and unscrew the plug. I slip the hose over the new plug and start the threads with the hose then use the socket to finish tightening. Makes it almost impossible to cross thread using the hose.:)

Champion also makes a rubber installation/removal tool. I have been using mine for years professionally. Sure makes things easier in those hard to get to places. Last time I got one, they said may not be available for long. Just have to check it out and see.

Champion part #CT-463.

Unfortunalty over 40yr of working on cars/trucks/bikes/go-carts......... I think I have a spark plug socket for just about everything. I say just about as the stinking weed eater has a 3/4" plug. Anyways the piece of 3/8" or so fuel or vacum line works great. Gives you enough grip to turn the plug in, but if it aint in the threads straight it wont cross thread. I also use anti-sieze on the plug threads so I can get them back out eventually if needed.