IGNORED

unopenable saddlebag lid?

i was talking to a guy who had a venture and we were shooting the sh!t about pipes etc.

he mentioned something about a saddlebag lid stuck closed??? he said a strap from a peice of luggage got looped around the locking mechanism and could not be opened IN ANYWAY. They cut through the side of the saddlebag to release it or something??

i guess anything could happen once, and i do not know what other methods they tried, but this sounded very bizarre to me and now i am paranoid.

anyone ever heard of this??

I had a very similar thing happen to me when I first got my '03 Venture. I was on an overnight trip and put my laptop in the saddlebag. It fit right in, no problem. Got home, couldn't open the saddlebag. Turns out the laptop had fallen over and was keeping the latch from opening on the inside. Had to take it to the dealer and they had to drill the lock out if I remember correctly. Thank God I had the extended warranty. So yes, it can happen!

Ride safe,

1/2crazed

I had this happen on my 2006 but luckily it only jammed up on one of the internal latches and I was able to pry up the lid some. I then was able to get a coat hanger inside and after hours and hours and hours of messing with it, I was able to free it up.

I was very careful from that point on and didn't pack much in the saddles...:95:

My left one (the one with CD player in it) is very fickle about closing. It almos feels and looks like the lid is warped. When I got the bike I noticed that there was not a securing strap on it like the other side had. So I made a couple, otherwise when you opened it the lid would almostlay against the side of the bag. Now sometimes the bag is extreemly hard to get open. I have noticed it more lately that the heat is way up.

There are also issues with the bolts for the hinges coming loose inside the saddle bags. Now on my second bike with these bags, I have learned to remove all the bolts and lock tight them. They will jam the lock if they loosen up too far.

Me too!!

Few years ago in Eureka Springs, had the bag over packed and one of my extra shoes was jammed against the lock. ECK and I managed to pry up the top enough to get a broom stick in and move things around enough to get the lock to move. Took probably an hour or so though.

Cutting a hole in the bag seems extreme to say the least. I've also heard of someone cutting/drilling the hinge pin out and getting it open that way.

Now when I pack the bags I still pack them pretty tight but I make sure there is nothing real solid like boot soles and laptops against the lock. Also make sure no clothing is over the slot of the lock mechanism.

I think this problem is pretty rare but something to think about.

BOO

There are also issues with the bolts for the hinges coming loose inside the saddle bags. Now on my second bike with these bags, I have learned to remove all the bolts and lock tight them. They will jam the lock if they loosen up too far.

Make sure you don't get any of that loctite on any of the ABS plastic. I will eat the ABS.

A friend of mine had this happen on his 08 it was a relatively warm day and he had a full leather jacket that he stuffed down into the saddlebag. Once it was down there it expanded forcing the lid up and jamming the lock. He took it home and was headed for the shop the next day and thought to give it one last try and it came open. We agreed that it had to do with expansion and contraction and that when it cooled down he was able to open. Sounded good may have just been pure luck!

My left one (the one with CD player in it) is very fickle about closing. It almos feels and looks like the lid is warped. When I got the bike I noticed that there was not a securing strap on it like the other side had. So I made a couple, otherwise when you opened it the lid would almostlay against the side of the bag. Now sometimes the bag is extreemly hard to get open. I have noticed it more lately that the heat is way up.

Sounds like either the bag is not seated properly or your latch needs to be gone through, greased, tightened and aligned.

When putting my bags back on, I always get the bolts started, then test closing the lid several times to make sure it closes smoothly. If needed, I will slide the bag around a little bit to make sure it is not being torqued in any way as if it is not in its 'natural position' the lid does not close properly and can cause difficulties in opening and closing.

Not saying that there is not something wrong with your lid or whatever the 'securing strap' that you mention is not the problem - just throwing my experience out there too.

Make sure you don't get any of that loctite on any of the ABS plastic. I will eat the ABS.

I was careful. Good advice though. Also I thought I would add that I found some of the bolts loose when I went to re tighten them, a couple were nearly out. A friend with a Tour Deluxe had the same issue when he checked.

I have also had a bad saddlebag experience and ended up compressing the sides as my wife pushed down and it came free. I did pull the cover off and put some white lithiam grease on the moving parts and that has helped, especially by the bar.