Guest racerod

I have a 1st Generation Venture Royal. Is there a code number to use to get a replacement ignition key made and where can I find it. Thanks, racerod129

The code number is stamped onto the original factory keys and on the key tag that was issused when the bike is new.

Now being the sharp mind kind of guy I am I take a wild guess and say that key tag is long gone. Some owners wrote the code numbers down in the owners manual that came with the bike.

Bet that ain't there either.

With any luck you might have one of the original keys in your hand. Any luck?

Now I have never pulled mine to check but there have been stories about the code number also being on the ignition key lock itself.

So there are the options on finding the number to get a new key made to factory specs. Having one NEW key to work in all the locks is a good thing,

Hope ya find what ya need.

Mike

My local locksmith had the blanks in stock. It was around $7 total to have 3 keys made.

Now if you are saying that you have no ignition key at all, then your only bet might be to take the ignition switch to a locksmith to have him make one, and get some spares right away. I keep a spare key hidden on the bike so that I can still get home if I should loose my keys while out of town.

Your key code is etched onto the aluminum housing of the ignition switch. The housing is attached to the steering head by two cap screws - 10mm head I think. Don't make the mistake of trying to remove the lock cylinder, it's on the housing.

If I recall correctly you can get them out (with enough extensions and swivels) though the opening in the fairing the forks pass through.

With the key code you can order a replacement from http://www.key-men.com.

When I lost my key to the 83 I trailered it to the locksmith & left it for a week. 1st key he made worked in the ignition but not the luggage. After more work he got 1 key to fit everything BUT I have yet to get the locks that release/remove the sidebags to work. Don't know if they're keyed different or just stuck. Seems like he charged $60 for 3 keys. Just bought a 94 Ford Ranger w no key & have to do the same thing again...

The locks that hold the bags to the bike are very prone to failure and I have not had much luck trying to fix them so I just open bags and remove the screws from the locks.

Gee... That kind of negates a key feature of the bike. Removable suitcases! I can only imagine how it was 30 years ago when everything worked as intended.

Try a x118 key blank in the lock, if it fits you have half of the problem solved, next place a mirror near the ignition switch numbers so you can read them ,(no need to take anything apart) remember they will be seen backward. Then have locksmith cut key to those numbers. And yes Venture has about 8 different key blanks.