IGNORED

1986 Carb Seal and O-Rings

Workin on an 86 Venture, installed new diaphrams in the spring. 2 were in pretty bad-shape, cleaned the insides as best I could and installed new o-rings when checking the floats and needles.

Does anyone have a list of the o-rings/seals and gaskets needed to properly tear down and rebuild the carb's? I plan to reuse the diaphams, (thanks Skydoc for sending the good sliders) and have resigned myself to taking them off and starting over.

My fuel mileage went from 220-240 km's per tank, to less than 150. Also, seems to be fouling the rh rear carb quite a bit. I've turned the mixture back a half turn a couple times, and it seems to help the plug, but it's become a lazy pig again.

Please help me getting the WINBGO back running her best.

Thanks all.....

I'll be watching this thread as I just installed new diaphragms and the new little washers on the slide needle on my 87. Unfortunately, the thing still runs like total crap. New plugs are going in today, but I think I have to pull the complete rack and clean each carb.

This makes me a very unhappy camper. :crying:

I have added several documents that I have copied off of previous posts. The 3 part one was cut up to meet file size rules and you can re-past it into 1 document.

I do not remember who posted the original information but i thank them for it and hope they are not upset at the re-posting.

CARB REMOVAL AND CLEANING1.doc

Edited by KIC

KIC,

I was the author of the first document and I have one serious comment after working on a couple racks... It is REALLY tough to get all of the small passages clean on the carb bodies. I finally took them down to JUST the body and with them and the jets, went to an automotive speed shop and had them run them through an ultrasonic bath of cleaner acid... those puppies were like new!!! It's imperative that the fine jet in the jet block (inside the fuel bowl) be pristine and the problem is that it's SOOOO tiny and prone to plugging just by residual build-up from the fuel so if you can't get them perfectly clean, invest a few dollars for new ones... your choice will be wildly appreciated by the bike and will reflect in the idle mixture adjust. Use of a ream must NOT change the design hole diameter, it's a very precise metering jet and the whole low end is really determined by it's precision, you can offset it a bit by the idle mixture screw under the diaphragm but you really want them all pulling the same and with the same mixture and amount.

Had the carbs off in the spring when we completed the laundry list, (tires, progressives, bearings, brakes, clutch) and was afraid to seperate the carbs. I did the air thing, replaced the carb diaphrams and 2 sliders, along with the bowl o-rings when we checked the floats. I've got 1 idle mix screw that the previous owner buggered, and need to replace it. (when making adjustments, real, real carefull)

I have a friend with an ultrasonic parts cleaner that just got it running, and have decided to go back to square one with a total disassemble and rebuild.

Partshark has been my usual source for a parts diagram, but I was hoping that someone had a list of the o-rings and gaskets needed for a complete teardown.

Oh yea, bought a balancer with the guages from a local bike shop, had an inch of dust on it fer $30 bucks! Score!

I know there are more parts that some might find needed... but here's the parts that went into mine.

4 22U-14147-00-00 O-ring (goes on the post under the jet block)

4 22U-14968-00-00 Cap, rubber, large (goes into the base of the jet block)

4 22V-14968-00-00 Cap, rubber, small (goes into the base of the jet block)

4 3JB-14199-00-00 Gasket (jet block gasket)

4 4G0-14142-37-A0 Pilot Jet, 37.5 (tiny idle gas jet inside jet block, MKI used a different size)

4 3LD-1490H-00-00 diaphragm set 5 (coasting enrighment valve, I suspect ethanol may have caused this to deteriorate)

Took the panels off tonight, went through over 1/2 tank of fuel to go 50 kliks. Played with the sliders when I got the airbox off and found the rr not opening fully. Pulled the carb end off and found another seperated slider. The metal bushing fell out, diaphram out of place... Anyone know where to get new replacements? This will be the 3rd one I've changed.

Also, a lot of fuel/oil on the outside of the lr carb. ???

All the plugs seem to be burning the same, finally. I now know why I was fouling plugs in that hole.

Still plan on pulling the carbs, almost there anyways.

Undecided about the seafoam, tried it a few times with no noticable changes. When I mentioned it to the mechanic that org helped me set up carbs in the spring, he was adament about NOT using it as he says he rebuilds 2-3 carbs a month because it gums and clogs the carbs. I've never seen an improvement in mileage or performance from using it, although I know some swear by it.