IGNORED

1st Gen Float Level & Fuel Pump

First a little history:

I've had my 84 Venture Std for about 1 yr, but before that she sat idle for quite some time. I know she has some rust in the tank, but I'm not yet ready to pull & treat the inside (I'm relying on the filter for now). Over the past year, I've disassembled/cleaned the petcock and replaced the fuel filter (which was suprisingly clean). I've also had the carbs off and cleaned the bowls, jets, etc. She'd been running just fine until...

Now on with the current situation:

My buddy & I recently went on a 1400 mile trip to Michigan's UP:biker:, and I put a bit of Seafoam in the tank at each fillup (per some recommendations here). On the way back I began to notice that the bike had more oil than when I last checked :shock3:. I babied it, got home, drained the oil and it smelled like gas. It appears that 2 of the carb float levels are too high, 1 carb on each side. The filter still looks good, so I'm theorizing that some "gunk" has been loosened up from inside the fuel pump and migrated to the float needles/seats. Perhaps after shutdown, the excess fuel is draining thru the carbs and down into the oil.

Has anyone disassembled their 1st Gen fuel pump, cleaned it, and managed to get it back together :confused07:? Anyone ever added another fuel filter, between the pump and the carbs? Any ideas on cleaning the mesh screen filters at the needle/seat assembly? Honestly, I'm thinking about just changing the oil, adding a whole can of Seafoam to the next tank of gas and seeing if that breaks up the debris that might be stuck in the needle/seat/screens. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

BTW, M-22 west of Traverse City & M-58 west of M-77 are great roads! But stay on the roads...the sabertooth black flies of the shore & beaches along Lake Superior are really something else :yikes:.

I had three filters in line once doing the same thing. When bottom came out of tank I changed it. You have some good ideas. I have cleaned fuel pump. Didn't help much. My filters were catching a lot of rust. I didn't have the gas go to the oil. My tank gave out right around the petcock. This was my first 1st Gen and when it took a notion to run you had better hang on!! Watch Flea-Bay you might catch a good tank. And check the bottom of yours. Carefully....Stuck my finger thru mine after it started seeping when I pushed on it. Gas goes EVERYWHERE QUICKLY!! Sea-Foam was only 4 bucks a can then. Get some BerryMan's Chem Tech at wally world. Blue & Red can I think. About 1/3 the price of Sea-Foam and in cases like this maybe better.

If you are thinking about cleaning the net filters in the carb bodies the best bet is to remove the carb rack and open the fuel bowls. Blow air pressure through the needle seats back through the body and out the overflow nipple.

Removing the net filter and replacing them is a PITA and not sure if the plugs for the body are even available anymore. Been there. Don't plan on doing it again. Really not needed.

Run your gas down to below half a tank at least and remove the fuel level sending unit. Take a good look at the inside of the fuel tank for rust debris and the condition of the pick up filters on the petcock. The pick up fliters on mine had fallen apart and every bit of rust was going directly into the fuel line through the reserve pick up s it is at the very bottom of the tank. It would clog the inline filter in no time and a lot of it made it to the fuel bowls. Caused me a lot of headaches. I had to replace the petcock on mine.

If you are having tank rust problems I recommend this product.

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Did my '84 several years ago and a few other tanks since with great results. Makes the tank interior feel and look like a Thermos bottle. Not a fleck of rust in the filter since.

Sea Foam is a great product but if you have rust particles building up the Sea Foam won't dissolve that. A good cleaning through the system, sealing the tank and replacing fuel lines from tank to carbs will be the most helpful for a final fix.

Mike

I would drain the tanks and try a rust remover, then coat it and be done or run on an auxillary tank, why do the work and maybe have to go back and do it again. I actually saw an old wing with a boat tank where the trunk goes. He said he was fixing the tank but wanted to ride. Ugly butt. . .

Thanks for the recommendations: Berryman's, don't try replacing the screens, cleaning the pump is possible, gas tank epoxy & a possible source for a replacement tank.

I suppose the first thing I will try is the Berryman's and/or Seafoam. Next, pulling the carbs and blowing compressed air back thru the screens. I suppose if I go thru the effort of pulling the carbs, I might as well disassemble & clean the pump too. And then eventually getting to the tank job. It's one I'd like to put off for a perhaps a winter project because I'd like to be riding again as soon as possible. I will write again to let you know how it goes.

According to the manual, the pump design looks rather straight-forward. Any comments about disassembly or reassembly of the pump?

Thanks all!