IGNORED

intermittent mic-mutes

jryan

While on cycle trip, my mic mute is acting up. One day it works...the next it doesn't. When it does work, then it's been good for the day. when not working, neither ptt button has any affect...the mic is always live. I checked all connections under seat but don't have tools or desire to split fairing while on the road. Anyone ever had weird problem witn them before?

I dont have the mic mutes. But I have had problems simular to this with a radio and some lights (auxilary type) Both times ended up being either a ground connection or the powerconnection. Did you use a solder in type or the scotch lock (clamp over wire)?

I have the mic mutes and had a similar problem. I would be riding down the road and the mic would come on automatically and the ptt wouldn't turn the mic mutes off and they were doing other strange things. I emailed the guy with mic mutes, I think his name is Mike, and he said to take the fuse holder under the seat apart and clean the two ends of the connector good. I did that and now they work fine. When my wife and I go on a trip on the bike I will clean the connectors and haven't had any problems since.

Yea commonly known as a "scotch lock" connector. Eventually over time it may cut the wire in two. Alot of folks dont use them because sooner or later they cause electrical gremlins. I'll use them but not on anything I have to depend on like lights and such.

For pwr I used the clamp over wire type. They seem tight tho. I will try cleaning the fuse holder tho too. Today they're working fine...so far anyways! Thanks guys.

I'd strongly advise you to go with better connectors or solder the wires. Every time I have used those "scotch lock" power taps they have eventually malfunctioned. They will feel "tight" but the connection is poor and gets worse with age. Get rid of them. You'll be a lot happier.

Andy

• 3 months later...