Hello all, new guy here with an 83 xvz12 I have had for about 15 years now.

Great site, wealth of information here.

Quick question, I am planning a styling change, based on a couple of bikes I have seen here which I call "semi-bobbed", basically I want to expose the engine more (it's a great looking engine, why keep it covered?) and remove the trunk, etc...

Make it look a little more like a fairinged cruiser than a full dress tourer.

My question is: Before I cut the side covers down, is there anything I should consider, best method for cutting, tips, tricks, etc?

Thank you, Johnny.

I did mine years ago and like it just fine. I even think it is cooler on my legs and I ride with shorts on all the time.

I cut the lower part a bit in front of the point where it connects and used a heat gun to soften the ABS plastic and rolled it to a point. I then used some plastic epoxy to shape the point and sanded it down. I also removed some material at the upper part to get the side panel to align with the upper fairing.

I have some pictures on my PC that has not been on in a long time and can try pulling them up if you want. They show the backside of the panels.

I call them "bikini side panels"

RandyA

image.php?u=262&dateline=1230676543&type=profile

Thanks for the reply,that would be great, if possible.

I would appreciate it.

Yeah, your sidecovers and a couple others I have looked at on here are what inspired me.

I think the Venture looks great as it comes from the factory, but after 15 years of having it, I am ready to change it up some.

I was thinking about going full chopper on it (they sound like two pissed off harleys going down the road with straight pipes, only faster.), but finding some kind of tank or tank shell to fit the wide double tube frame is a little challenging, and after seeing some pictures here, I think the "semi bobbed" look is pretty darn cool. cut down side covers, get rid of the leg vents under the fairing, cut the windshield down, take the trunk off..etc.