I rebuilt a set of bubbs using ceramic packing and like the sound a lot... :thumbsup2:

I'm interweaving/layering s.s. screen with my packing material this time seeing it blows out so fast. Where did you get your ceramic packing. :confused24:

I'm interweaving/layering s.s. screen with my packing material this time seeing it blows out so fast. Where did you get your ceramic packing. :confused24:

Found it on Ebay. The seller was up in Idaho If I remember correctly?? They use the stuff to pack race bike exhausts. It will withstand higher temps than glass packing. I wrapped the baffle with stainless screen from McMaster-Carr before wrapping with the ceramic. So far so good. Rode to Cody and back... 2500mis...last year, and I can tell if there's been any change in the sound.

Found this on YouTube that was interesting. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsLktGzNx8]Ceramic Fiber wool vs Steel Wool. This is going to be used for muffler packing - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Condor

I had a set of Chambermaids on my 05 Roadstar. They were nice and light, but very loud. Bike ran pretty good on them without much in the way of carb tinkering. However, Bub had some quality problems. This was several years ago. I had a set of Chambermaids on my own Roadie, and then about a year later bought an identical set for my wife's Roadie. Problem was, the second set I bought would not line up with the brackets on the bike. Bub sent me another new set, but it had the same problem. I was able to verify that it was the pipes and not the bike by mounting my original set of Bubs on her bike, and they fit fine. Something at the factory jig got screwed up and they manufactured some pipes incorrectly.

We finally solved the problem by grinding material off the face of the pipe where it goes into the head and seats against the gasket. This changed the angle of the pipe relative to the rear bracket. After mucho grinding and repeated fitments, I got things to line up, though I did have to use a half inch stack of big washers to get the final bit to the bracket. I had to grind so deeply that the pipe had to be sent back to Bub to have the ends welded back on.

Bub folk were apologetic, and sent me a couple of nice T-shirts for my trouble. I appreciated their ideas and willingness to send me new pipes. I had to work pretty hard to make them work. Would have been better I suppose to just get a refund, but I couldn't find a set of pipes that I liked better than the Chambermaids.

Ordered my Bubs just over a week ago, aparently, they are making them and it'll be another 5 weeks at least before I can get them. But I will report what I think & hope to do a youtube post of the sound.

• 4 weeks later...
Put my stockers on to get it quiter but hate the sound compared to my BUBs.

Gonna repack'em and put them back on!

Repacked and installed but......................I liked the sound better without any packing!

They were just a little too loud though. Sounds better than stock, unless you dou't want to hear the exhaust at all.

My RSV came with BUB Mufflers.

They were way too loud for me...

I took them apart & repacked - still too loud

then I modified them with 8" baffles - still too loud

Bought stock & put my old BUB mufflers on eBay.

Quiet is nice when you go on multi-hundred mile trips.

At least for me it is...

You can use tips like these not a very good picture but I can rotate them to any position I want. Plus with tips like these the Bubs are a little louder due to less back pressure. My brother has a set of bubs on his 07 midnite with the bubs tips and his bike is quieter than mine.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa254/richier73/IMG_0364.jpg

With all the talk and the law changes regarding the noise of loud pipes does anyone know if there would be a legal problem running these pipes in any of the US Staets or in Canada?

Well, they're not stock so depending on how they write the law, maybe/probably. Stay out of the throttle in the city or populated areas and don't ask for trouble. My Bubs are quiet when I need them to be.

With all the talk and the law changes regarding the noise of loud pipes does anyone know if there would be a legal problem running these pipes in any of the US Staets or in Canada?

There's always a lot of talk about exhaust noise and what's loud and what's proud. Basically I think even if you did get pulled over, a LEO isn't going to write you up. Noisy exhaust's are an equipment violation. They don't make a thing. You generally have 30 days to correct the problem and get it signed off. Zero money made. They'd rather write a 30 or 40 over ticket and collect the big bucks... I personally don't know any of my riding friends in over 40 years that have gotten a ticket, and some had a ton of bark. You'd probably get some attention if you fired up the beast in a residential area every morning at o530hrs... That said I still have my OEM's hanging out in the garage.... :)

I bought a 2006 RSTD two months ago. It came with Bub's mufflers but the PO threw in the stock mufflers. I love the sound of the bubs. They seem to be rather quiet when idling and open up under acceleration. The sound levels off when cruising down the road. Everyone that hears them are impressed and nobody has said they are too loud. I may put the stockers back on someday but I really like the sound of the Bub's. I have never had aftermarket pipes on a bike before and almost all of my motorcycles have been Japanese 4-cylinders. I think the Bub's make the bike sound a bit revvy.

Davo