IGNORED

Saddlebag brackets and Lighting

Im in the process of installing a Venture trunk to my '06 RSTD. I know I can cut off the lock pins for the passenger sissy bar but I dont want to do that in case I ever want to remove the trunk and switch back to the cruiser look. So Im asking if anyone here has a pair of the chrome saddlebag brackets from a Venture that the trunk mount bolts to for sale. Ive looked on eBay but the sellers wont seperate and also scanned craigslist. Heres a pic of what I need...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/948/17888f.jpg

Also my bike is Pearl White and I need to paint the trunk does anyone know what automobile color is close it. I looked here but I dont want to pay $400 for base coat and paint.

Also an idea I did to my RSTD was to put extra lights so I can be seen at night. I bought 2 packs of the 12" red and 1 pack of the blue LED lights at Autrozone. The have adhesive tape on them so no drilling. I cut the wires off of one set and soldered the two 12" pieces together to make them 24". Started at the back and ran them across the bottom of the saddles. I took the blue 12" and stuck one on each side under the tank on the inside of the flange where the tank is welded together. I get alot of complements on them abd believe me I can be seen and I only have $60 in the lights

I mounted a trunk to my RSTD. The work around I came up with to switch back and forth was to first carefully grind the weld off the back side of the pin. You need to remove the rail for this. Once you grind the weld flush with the surface of the inside of the rail ( not seen when mounted) an appropriate size punch and hammer and the pin comes out and you are left with a clean hole. Save the pins.

I had access to some stainless 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch weld nuts from some old waverunners I had cannabalized for parts. The weld nuts were already attached to some stainless steering brackets. I trimmed these and epoxied them to the back of the rail.Absent having access to this or something similar, you can weld some tabs to an 8mm nut and epoxy those to the rail. The Venture trunk mounting rack uses 8mm x 1.25 bolts. So this solves mounting the trunk rack. Now the Pins for the factory backrest.

I then took the pins I ground off and welded them on to some 8 x 1.25 mm bolts. I took a 8 x 1.25mm socket head (allen) cap screw, and ground most of the head down. I left enough of the allen head hole to support and center the pin for welding.

After welding, a little grinding and shaping, I can now thread the pins in to use the factory back rest when the trunk is removed. If you have access to a lathe, you could get a 8 x 1.25 bolt with the appropriate length shoulder ( same length shoulder as the pin is exposed) and turn the shoulder down. You will have to grind down the majority of the bolt head to match the shape of the button head of the pin. No Lathe? Chuck the bolt in a drill press and use a file to turn down the shoulder. The lock pin doesn't hold much load, the spools do that.

The initial time invested is a little longer this way, but less time ( and money) than swapping both rails each time you want to switch back and forth. I have some pictures somewhere. Will try and find them (added some pics in post below).

If you have a signifcant other, I can tell you from experience that once she rides with the Harley trunk and wrap around backrest, the factoy backrest won't cut it anymore. My trunk hasn't come off since I mounted it. Just saying......

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

Here are some pics to go with the above post. Didn't take as many as I thought but you get the idea. Once your done, Its four bolts ( and electric if applicable) to remove trunk, four bolts to remove trunk bracket, and just thread the pins in to use OEM backrest. You can install the trunk bracket without removing the backrest spools.

RSTDdog

Here are some pics to go with the above post. Didn't take as many as I thought but you get the idea. Once your done, Its four bolts ( and electric if applicable) to remove trunk, four bolts to remove trunk bracket, and just thread the pins in to use OEM backrest. You can install the trunk bracket without removing the backrest spools.

RSTDdog

Hey thanks Dog, if I dont get a set I might just do your idea.

Hey thanks Dog, if I dont get a set I might just do your idea.

Farm1810 has a set of brackets on ebay. The ebay ID number was posted in a thread in Watering Hole by Star4772 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71365 .

If you don't go the bracket route let me know. I can go through my stuff I probably have at least two more of the SS weld nuts I can cut off and send you. You'll just have to trim them to fit exact before you epoxy them.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog

Farm1810 has a set of brackets on ebay. The ebay ID number was posted in a thread in Watering Hole by Star4772 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71365 .

If you don't go the bracket route let me know. I can go through my stuff I probably have at least two more of the SS weld nuts I can cut off and send you. You'll just have to trim them to fit exact before you epoxy them.

RSTDdog

Thanks, will do

OK started on the conversion. Everything going good so far and the pins came off easy. I decided if Im going to do this I doubt I will remove it so Im going to drill our the lock pin hole the same size as the other holes to have a little bigger bolt in the front mount. Ill probably remove the spools as well to make room for grab handles while Im at it and I think I can add them with out removing the saddles again by just opening the saddle lid.

I do have a question about the helmet locks on the trunk bracket. I bought this trucnk bracket from ebay but didnt get keys for the locks. Any info on how to get keys? There is no #'s on the bracket to go by or do I need to get new locks. Slim chance Ill use them with the extra space the trunk will have for helmets but just asking. Tried my key and it doesn't work in the locks.

I would take them to a locksmith and have him make some keys for them. I don't use mine very much except on trips without the trailer and when we don't have the trailer the wife has the trunk FULL. I'm sure your wife will be able to find plenty to put in that new trunk.:rotf:

OK I see you have already started the conversion but did you think of using a second back rest bracket as a base? I have done just that and now I can change from tourpack to no tour pack or use the back rest in less than a minute. BTW the light look great I'm actually doing the same but I am having a hard time getting my hands up under the fender so I guess i'll be taking the tire off. Did you have to do this or did you find another way?

Jim

yes I thought of the backrest conversion and since the lights are self adhesive tape I stuck them along the front bottom. Your bike being a dark color they would hardly be noticed. I'll post pics later

Just take your trunk to a body shop... Mine cost 250 to paint, all they did to match was use a paint gun the detects the color just like in the hardware store...

matched it real good

Yea I think thats what Im going to do when I get the trunk mounted is ride it to a paint shop. Good idea Thanks

OK I see you have already started the conversion but did you think of using a second back rest bracket as a base? I have done just that and now I can change from tourpack to no tour pack or use the back rest in less than a minute. BTW the light look great I'm actually doing the same but I am having a hard time getting my hands up under the fender so I guess i'll be taking the tire off. Did you have to do this or did you find another way?

Jim

Here's how I did it. I have saddle rails so they're are hidden a little for being on a white bike. By the way what faring do you have on the front? Thats my next item to get. This one looks like a good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATWING-FAIRING-YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-05-LATER-BAGGER-STYLE-WINDSHIELD-STEREO-/190703659951?hash=item2c66d2ebaf&item=190703659951&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

NEO55m

I have a Hoppe fairing and that link appears to be the same. I have also seen a Dragonfly that looks just as good. The pic doesn't show all the hardware needed to mount to the RSTD so be careful. Check the Hoppe site for more details. BTW with all the hardware it is super easy to install the instructions are excellent.

Good Luck and thanks for the info on the lights

Well I think I got it. Its mounted and now I'll go to a few body shops and see what the damage will be for them to paint it. I even added a 2nd brake light. I was reading about how to add flashers in another post so thats next