IGNORED

Lifeguard fired after saving mans life?

a1bummer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/lifeguard-fired-leaving-post-beach-hallandale-florida-135238189.html

What is our society coming to?

Has anybody here seen the movie Idiocracy? Could our world as we know it possibly be headed in that direction? Sad, but I fear is may very well be true.

Bill

I could go for some Starbucks :whistling: I have heard of a fire department letting a house burn becasue they had not paid a 25 dollar fee.

Edited by etcswjoe

Guest tx2sturgis

I saw this and heard about it on the news.

Do they not understand the word? LIFEGUARD.

He was 'guarding' 'life' by helping to save someone.

Jeeze.

I wonder how it would've went for him if he had NOT saved the man's life?

Just plain ridiculous what America has come to. People are afraid to do what that know is right simply because they know they could possibly have their lives ruined as a result.

Like it has been said, "Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't"

We need MORE people like this guy!

Bill

Too bad the good Samaritan law doesn't cover a person and keep them from getting fired because they were performing an act that would fall under this law. I think it should. I've herd of a few cases like this where a person was performing something that would fall under the good Samaritan law and end up being fired because of it.

I have heard of a fire department letting a house burn becasue they had not paid a 25 dollar fee.
Yup, I saw that one as well. Some sort of community DUE if I remember right. The fire dept was on seen to keep any others houses from burning if I remember right. They let his house burn because he didn't pay his dues. Just plain wrong I tell ya!

Bill

Here's the article I believe your recalling. $75 dollar yearly fee it was. The man said he forgot to pay and would do so after the fire was put out. But they still let it burn.

http://seerpress.com/fire-department-lets-house-burn-down-over-unpaid-dues/9139/

I agree that the lifeguard did the right thing.

But... from the company's view point... he did go outside the area they are supposed to supervise. Does that open the company up to liability if something went wrong with the lifeguard trying to save someone outside the area they are paid to protect ? In the good 'ol "take 'em to court" USA the company and lifeguard could be sued ... whether the person lived or died.

What would have happened had someone in the company's "zone" died while the lifeguard was attending the person outside the area? There is another liability lawsuit !

"Swim at own risk" means exactly that. Must be a minor "Darwin" award for that ! I'd feel more sorry for someone drowning in the lifeguard's zone while he was attending to the person outside the protected area than I would had the lifeguard not responded as he had. I'd still fault the guard had he not responded.... but you do have to look at it from all sides. Sorry.... just the Canadian way !

Local example... driving back from another town nearby (Ancaster) we were passed by a fire engine. It ended up driving almost all the way to Cambridge for a house fire. Took them about 30 minutes to get there. Because of where the city boundary is for Hamilton (which Ancaster is kinda/sorta part of) they had to respond to the fire rather than a crew from Cambridge. Had they responded from Cambridge they would be 5 minutes to get there.

Yup, I saw that one as well. Some sort of community DUE if I remember right. The fire dept was on seen to keep any others houses from burning if I remember right. They let his house burn because he didn't pay his dues. Just plain wrong I tell ya!

Bill

Here's the article I believe your recalling. $75 dollar yearly fee it was. The man said he forgot to pay and would do so after the fire was put out. But they still let it burn.

http://seerpress.com/fire-department-lets-house-burn-down-over-unpaid-dues/9139/

Is this not a little like paying protection money to the mob or a street gang :think:

Is this not a little like paying protection money to the mob or a street gang :think:

That is exactly what went through my head. Pay up or we'll let you house burn down. But still not quite the same seeing as how the firefighters didn't start the fire in the first place for having NOT paid the fees.

Bill

The news "almost" covered it. NBC said he was fired, offered his job back, and he said NO. Love to here more. I imagine some idiot boss is squirming about now.

My dad was a pilot in WW2. Later he was training a student in FL (Stearman) and he saw another plane go down in the swamp. It was tail up and starting to burn, pilot unconscious.

Pop had the student pilot, who had not solo'd invert so Pop could bail out and get down and pull the other pilot out. He did. Instead of commendation, he got nailed for leaving the student pilot in the air. But I think he got a wink from his commander instead of punishment.

You do what is right.

The news "almost" covered it. NBC said he was fired, offered his job back, and he said NO. Love to here more. I imagine some idiot boss is squirming about now.

My dad was a pilot in WW2. Later he was training a student in FL (Stearman) and he saw another plane go down in the swamp. It was tail up and starting to burn, pilot unconscious.

Pop had the student pilot, who had not solo'd invert so Pop could bail out and get down and pull the other pilot out. He did. Instead of commendation, he got nailed for leaving the student pilot in the air. But I think he got a wink from his commander instead of punishment.

You do what is right.

WOW! Now that's bragging rights!

RIGHT ON BOB.. i MY opinion, anyyone that could let someone die, for a reason like that. is an idiot.. and doesent deserve to live.. this is my PERSONAL view... I personaly couldnt live with myself

As Forest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does..."

Do what ya gotta do and to hell with the Idiots.

:sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that: :sign yeah that:

a1bummer;697149]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/lifeguard-fired-leaving-post-beach-hallandale-florida-135238189.html

What is our society coming to?

Has anybody here seen the movie Idiocracy? Could our world as we know it possibly be headed in that direction? Sad, but I fear is may very well be true.

Bill

The downside of having lawyers in our sociaty. They made it so a person is scared to breath, in case he gets sued. To bad more effort wasn.t put towards reprimanding real crimanals. Edited by saddlebum

Common sense is not so common any more. Sad but ture. A year ago I was at Surfside Tx with my wife. The beach we were on is a no life gaurd beach. I went to swim while my wife stayed on beach. I have a little experience swimming in the gulf so I was paying attention. I noticed two young girls about 13 years old and an older guy about 18 swimming further out. It wasn't long before one of the girls was seperated and screaming for help. As I was swimming out to her I kept going thru the little bit of life gaurd training I had when I was younger. Sure enough when I got to her she grabbed me with both arms and legs. I assured her that I had her and she was not going to drown today but she had to release her legs and help me kick. Well every time a wave came she climbed me to avoid going under so I just took deep breaths and came back up and started side stroking again. I got her back to standing depth and went back to help the other two who were almost back to standing depth. I am no longer the swimmer I used to be and knew this before I started out, but I could not stand by and watch a person drown. The next day I learned two young girls had drown just two miles down the beach and one lady had to be rescued just up the beach. I hope the girls know how lucky they were. I guess all things do happen for a reason.

kickshot

In the past I drove ambulance and was designated first aid on the ships. When I took my courses the question of liability came up. We were told that as long as we had our certificates we were bound to help anyone who needed it to the best of our ability and we could not be sued. I had a go round with the company over this when they insisted that since they had provided the course I was to only help the crew members and not passengers. I replied that the law was that I had to help everyone. They backed off. That is how it works in B.C.

Guest scarylarry

Question I have and haven't seen is, had he not left his area and knowing the man was drowning with him be a life guard, could he have been charge with something?

This whole story would have been turn around then and his boss or bosses would have fired him I'm sure of..

I would think he could have been charge..

Still he did what was right...