I decided to install a set of rear speakers on the 1986. Several tears ago I ripped out the cassette player guts and had wired the XM from my Garmin into the cassette input. Which worked very well. However the co-pilot did not have good volume since there are only 2 speakers. I purchased a Shark Audio kit with a wired on/off and volume remote and set about revamping the system. Tapped the front speakers and installed a line level converter. Sent that to the amplifier and on to the rear speakers. Consolidated my fm radio/xm input switch to one small 3 pole unit. Stuffed the entire mess into the metal cassette player shel and made a top for it. I still need a grommet for the remote wire. Also the yellow around the edge is grease. I put RTV on the plate and then greased the cassette box. Hopefully this will create a gasket that stays on the plate and is re-useable. I then picked up switched power and adjusted the line-level converter. It has potentiometers to set the input level. Right now I have it where 1/2 volume on the rear speakers sounds about equal to the radio at 1/2 volume. Trying not to rob too much from the front output. I am satisfied with the appearance and the sound. It is really very good! Total cost for the project was about $100.00. Don't believe the 100 watts! That has to be peak at full volume! I suspect about 15-20 RMS.

JB

Edited by lonestarmedic

Hey JB,

Very Nice Addition of the Rear Speakers to your VR! I especially like the "Mixer Monkey" feature on the rear trunk rack! As always JB, GREAT thinking out of the box on a speaker system that should have been on this bike from the get go! Ya' done good!

:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
Crayon Broke!

Wasn't really too bad to pull off. Speakers are held on with conduit/cable clamps. I took the speakers apart and pulled the little inserts into the plastic out and used 1/4-20 truss head screws. And you are right, it needed them. Mixer Monkey is so happy, Now he can rock out!!

JB

Been there done that. It has been a great improvement. I used the brackets that came with the speakers and "tweaked" them to mount where the luggage rack bolts to the trunk. These with the stock front speakers and a cheap enrock radio off ebay and it's loud and clear even at 80mph.:cool10: