IGNORED

Russell Day Long Seat

Wife and I planned a trip from Northern Delaware to Western North Carolina. We just returned via the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. We had a wonderful time thanks to this site. We have been reading about seats for many months and slurged for the Russell Day Long based on remarks from all of you. Initially, I did sit about 1" higher and the wings were a bit of a pain. However, within the 500 mile break in period all was good. I am again flat footed when stopped (I have a 29" inseam) and the wings have broken in a bit making stops no problem. Wife was complaint free relative to butt issues on our trip, and so was I. Thanks for all of your great information. Here are some seat pics.

Farm1810, happy to see that you have a new Russell seat. I go down there a week from tomorrow to have my 10th seat done by them the following day.

Did you do the ride-in, at their location in Shasta Lake City, CA., or did you have it done through the mail?

I have always ridden to their location, and it takes about 7 hours to have it built in person. But it really fits perfect when they are done.

Here is to having a happy bum !:cool10:

I am in Delaware, so followed their instructions of weight, inseam - rider and passenger, then photos of me on the bike, wife and I on the bike, and so forth. They turned my seat around in about 2 weeks. I found another RSTD stock seat on ebay for $35 so I wasn't without wheels. I thought I might use the stock seat around town and the Russell only for longer trips. But now that I have the Russell, I can't imagine going back.

• 2 weeks later...

Farm1810, I just got back last night from a ride down to Hotsville, USA.

While it may not have been the hottest place in the country on Thursday and Friday, it was hot enough to melt me. When I arrived at the motel at 5:00 pm, it was still 105 degrees out.

When I left yesterday to ride home, it was 102 at 1:45 pm. Had to ride 525 miles home in that heat...only to be cooled off and washed off in the last 15 miles, by a big rain/thunder/lightning storm.

Here are a couple pics of the new Russell Seat. # 10 for me.

[ATTACH]69499[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69500[/ATTACH]

It sure is nice to have a seat with built-in suspension, for those long days in the saddle.:cool10:

• 2 years later...
Initially, I did sit about 1" higher and the wings were a bit of a pain. However, within the 500 mile break in period all was good. I am again flat footed when stopped (I have a 29" inseam) and the wings have broken in a bit making stops no problem.

I have the same concerns with the seat I just bought. I'm glad to read that you did too and they worked out with break in.

I bought a mint used one from a west coast member on STAR Touring.

I did not know he was 6'4" till it was already shipped. I'm 5'8", add an inch in shoes.

So about the same inseam as you. I called Russell and they told me about their strict sizing method for buyers, and they could not modify it. Oh.

This was the single piece double seat. The wings were so forward, nope can't get feet on ground and sure can't back up.

So, friend Steve Anderjack (on this site & STAR) happens to be about 6'5" and scooped it up next day. He loves it.

Oh funny thing, he had his oil changed at STAR Days this year in MO. The shorter shop guy dropped the bike on the lift (with damage), probably because he was short and could not get his feet solid. (They repaired the damage.)

Not looking to buy again (liked the used price) but glad to hear that they do make the Daylong workable for shorter inseams.

My son and I rode from Charleston, SC to Washington, DC (just over 500 miles) and still felt good. This summer we were in southern IL for family reunion and we had to make a 720 mile run home. The seat was excellent! Could use a backrest but for now, I will enjoy it the way it is.