IGNORED

Utah Route 12

Aimhigh

I saw on the tele this morning a trip along Utah's Route 12. Early research reveals this is a 125 mile, seemingly rugged road with some really super sights. Is this road motorcycle friendly? When would be the best time of year to ride it? Appreciate any input.

We have a group that like to take that route each fall. Enjoy!!

I'm intrigued by the group you are a part of that take the trip each fall...sounds as though that is the time to go...I'm thinking we may give it a go next year.

The info I have been reading reveals many side trips you can take (some recommending 4 wheel drive) so I'm thinking we will find someplace in the area to stay so we can motorcycle and take the truck.

Thanks again for the info.

There is a stretch of this road that runs along the very spine of a ridge through some badlands (north of Escalante, I think) where they literally only cut off the bare minimum of the knife edge to allow an 8' wide two-lane road with NO shoulder and NO rails - there is a 1,000 foot drop on BOTH sides - if you get a flat here, you are dead. I was dieing to look at the scenery and drop-offs, but really did not dare to take my eyes off the road enough to enjoy it - I guess I could have slowed down more, but that was a trade off I didn't want to make (and I really wasn't running that fast!). If your tires are not in good condition on this stretch, you will really regret it.

Goose

Great Ride would love to live closer.

Recommended ride!

Starting in Monument Valley / Valley of the Gods

UT163 East toward Mexican Hat, just east pick up

UT261 North (Has a 5.3 mile stretch of dirt road that goes up the canyon wall the switch backs are paved) Unbelivable beautiful ride. Dead into UT95

UT95 West (Trail of the Ancients)

1. Side trip into Natural Bridges National Monument

UT24 West

1. Side trips at Capitol Reef National Park

UT12 South/West (A journey through time)

1. Grand Staircase

2. Bryce Canyon National Park

US89 North

UT143 South/West (Utah's Patchwork Parkway)

UT148 South (Cedar Breaks Scenic Byway)

UT14 East (Markaguant High Plateau Scenic Byway)

US89 South

UT9 West into Zion National Park

and dont miss the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and all the side roads in the canyon.

You can see some of the pictures at my blog on the wife and our trip in 2008.

http://www.brianshoemakersironhorse.blogspot.com

There is a stretch of this road that runs along the very spine of a ridge through some badlands (north of Escalante, I think) where they literally only cut off the bare minimum of the knife edge to allow an 8' wide two-lane road with NO shoulder and NO rails - there is a 1,000 foot drop on BOTH sides - if you get a flat here, you are dead. I was dieing to look at the scenery and drop-offs, but really did not dare to take my eyes off the road enough to enjoy it - I guess I could have slowed down more, but that was a trade off I didn't want to make (and I really wasn't running that fast!). If your tires are not in good condition on this stretch, you will really regret it.

Goose

There's a drop off, but it's not straight down. I think you could ride down either side on a dirt bike. Since I haven't ran off the road in the last 100,000 miles, I wasn't worried about that 50 yards.

Gee, I run off the road every 30 miles or so - I guess I was really lucky...

I suppose there is no real point in trying to describe for someone some of the features that make this road really special to ride...

Edited by V7Goose

Goose,

Which road did you take north of Escalanta?

NF153 Pine Creek Road or Main Canyon Sweetwater Road?

Might make a pointe to make the side trip next time.

No side trip - this was just UT12 all the way from Capital Reef, south over Boulder Mountain, then down along the north side of the Grand Staircase. It is a great road.

I'm sure there are tons of wonderful side roads, but on our last trip we hit this in a grand loop from St. George, north around to Capital Reef, back down to Bryce Canyon, then up over the beautiful 10,000 foot mountains at Cedar Breaks and back into St. George. That is a long day's ride, but worth every mile. But it sure doesn't leave much time to explore side roads!

Goose

UT12 is one of the best roads to ride.Very motorcycle friendly.Because of the height it is not too bad in the summer but you should plan on doing it in the morning from the end of June to the 1st part of September. The fall is a good time to ride as the colors are fantistic and in Spring it is very green and cool.There is a turn out at the top of Boulder Mt and you can see deep into Arizona from there or Colorado or New Mexico. Torry Ut at the end of 12 has many good hotels and some really great restaurants. There are so many great rides to go on from that point you could make it a base. I will be there with the Utah British Bike Club the weekend of July 14th. The group utadventure(Dave) refers to(Temple Riders Association) will be there in September.The Norton Owners Club had their international rally there a couple of years ago. Since I live fairly close to there I try to ride it once or twice a year. The ridge Goose refers is called "The Hogs Back". Some mistakenly refer to it as "The Devils Backbone" but that is a ridge to the north in hiking and 4 wheel drive country.

Maybe V7Goose's route 12 is different from my route 12 because I never ran into any dangerous situations except at the very beginning with the 10mph curves. But I do not dispute his word, I was so excited to be there I was oblivious to anything but the WOW factor I experienced on every turn. I tried to post 4 pictures but seems only one posted. You will not regret riding this road. An awesome site when you go thru the woods in Aberdeen and pop out looking over the Pacific ocean.
Yup, those are absolutely different route 12s - no place to pop out looking over the Pacific Ocean in Utah!

Goose

I rode route 12 a few years back on a Connie before riding home to Alaska. I think it was the most dramatic, awe inspiring ride I have experienced on a motorcycle. Crossing the hogs back almost made me dizzy, I remember the wow,wow,wow I yelled in my helmet. It is a ride you want to have someone along to share the experience with. I will be retiring to that area soon so that I can return to riding all of southern Utah and beyond.

Just as one last attempt at clarity, this thread is about a UTAH state road - clearly identified in the title of the first post. By definition, if you are riding on a Utah state highway, it is impossible for you to be anywhere but in the state of Utah.

Therefore, if you find yourself enjoying any road in another state, no mater what the route numbers are, you are NOT on Utah Route 12.

Goose

Uh sorry guys but you just can't get to the Pacific ocean on UT 12.Maybe on a US 12 or 212 or some other road but not this one. It starts and stops wholly within the confines of the state of UTAH. But don't let that stop you.Its a great ride,high WOW factor and if you string it together with the right other roads in due time you will get to see the Pacific ocean.

Sorry Goose didn't see your post correcting this issue.

Edited by Pegasus1300
content