IGNORED

Exhaust Pops and pitch

:confused24: Hey all,

I am the proud owner of an 06' midnight venture.

The knucklehead before me gutted the ends of the mufflers with a screwdriver. They look like ass.

The sound is good but there is alot of popping when the throttle is released or going down hill off the gas.

I just installed Baron Bag Slash Slip-Ons.

The factory baffles were not wrapped, Wow are they loud, can't hear my Jimmy Buffett cassette.

The popping is even LOUDER now.

I wrapped the baffles with fiberglass, took it down to almost bearable, still popping loud.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Muffler Brand? Tuning? Etc.

The Baron Mufflers are going to be returned.

Thanks

They say the Road Kings have good sound, and I would have to agree. But I will also tell you I just got off a 2200 mile trip up from Fl to Cincinati Oh and back down thru the mountians so a varity of roads. Mine are comming off I think. I just dont think I want that roar and I'm pretty sure the boss wont particularly like it either. I think they sound good, but I dont want my ears ringing after a trip.

Hey Ed,

Congrats on the "new to you" RSV! Because you have removed the back pressure of the stock pipes on your engine, your bike is running lean. You could try a Carb. Sync. to make sure all is well with the Carbs., but usually a rejet is in order. Does your bike have the stock air filters or K&N filters? I am close to Altoona if you would like to stop by for a Carb. Sync. :thumbsup2:

Earl

The decel popping probably has more to do with the air injection. Fresh air is injected into the exhaust gas just aft of the ports, and as it burns it makes a popping sound. It does it with the stock exhaust, too, but is a lot less apparent.

It is also possible that you've got a leak somewhere in your exhaust system, given that you've recently man-handled your pipes. That will also cause popping. Cheap way to check for leaks is to hold a long fireplace type match flame next to each joint, motor running. Goose the throttle a bit and see if the flame deflects. Fix the leak, if necessary. Popping may be reduced after fixing such a leak, but if your air injection device is still in place, you'll always get a little popping from that. Best advice? Ignore it.

I have the Baron's Bag Slashes on my 08 RSTD and had the same issues you are describing. These bikes run lean at idle and on decel. I pulled the tank and removed the little brass caps from the idle mixture screws and richened it up a little and resynced the carbs and problem solved. Rejetting the carbs is a big job and really unneeded in most cases unless you change the entire exhaust system.

Hey Ed,

Congrats on the "new to you" RSV! Because you have removed the back pressure of the stock pipes on your engine, your bike is running lean. You could try a Carb. Sync. to make sure all is well with the Carbs., but usually a rejet is in order. Does your bike have the stock air filters or K&N filters? I am close to Altoona if you would like to stop by for a Carb. Sync. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl,

Thanks for the info. I figured it was lean and I just picked up a vaccume gauge to sync the carbs. If I botch this up I may take you up on the help.

Thanks again,

Ed