Hi guys after reading a few posts about installing RK mufflers I started looking for a set and found out a friend had a set off his new bike sitting in the garage so he said I could have them. So I picked them up and found them to be cat free so I couldn't wait to put them on and got started. The stock pipes came off easy but I had to work the harley pipes over some to get them to slide on where I wanted them. After I got the pipes on I was trying to decide what to do for a mount then it came to me just use the stock mount so I fired up the die grinder and cut the mount off and the clamp cover and welded them on the harley pipes and there you have it factory looking but much much better sounding harley mufflers and I would have never known I could have such a good sounding bike for free

Looks like you did a good job. Adding the stock heat shield over the clamps makes them look stock. I added mine before I found this site and figured out mine had the cats sounded better than stock but not what I was wanting any way there gone now but had to do a little modification to the left side with a die grinder to get it off.

With all your work I sure hope you like them. I swapped a week or so ago. Then left right away on a 2200 mile trip with them. I'm taking them off soon as I can. To much roar on long trips and under power like in the mountians. Dont get me wrong, they sound good but I just dont want the constant roar.

Guest scarylarry
With all your work I sure hope you like them. I swapped a week or so ago. Then left right away on a 2200 mile trip with them. I'm taking them off soon as I can. To much roar on long trips and under power like in the mountians. Dont get me wrong, they sound good but I just dont want the constant roar.

Was they drilled out? I have a set undrilled and really like them..

I understand and I did jerry rig some mounts and took it for a spin before I went all the way. I also get a kick out of it when someones telling that they are not that loud or what ever cause its all opinion their too loud maybe just right for me and vice versa. Also riding style has a lot to do with it also as I normally cruise at 45-65 and its faily flat around here so to me they seem only slightly louder barely enough to cover the whine while slower in town they are nice and rumbly and alot louder then stock and when hard on the throttle to me they sound like a high reving small block and much louder then stock here aswell

Undrilled-bone stock. Around here I thiought I would be OK (Fla) Pretty flat too. Sounded pretty good, but a full day of pulling mountian terrain cured me.

Ditto here. They sounded great on day rides... like a F1-racer when accelerating onto freeways. Loved it. Until I did a few 750 mile days. I tried using earplugs, but any noise adds to fatigue and they were too loud. I went back to stock, but now I envy GoldWings and their whisper quiet ride.

To each his own!

Dave

Guest scarylarry
Undrilled-bone stock. Around here I thiought I would be OK (Fla) Pretty flat too. Sounded pretty good, but a full day of pulling mountian terrain cured me.

I have set undrilled and they are not that loud, maybe a tad but the drilled set is loud and seems to lose power..I doubt if I ever put them on again I just can't handle the noise...I just got from Florida and they seem same as here...

Wished I had the drilled set on north of Milton though maybe that would have kept that rattler from crossing the road:rotf::rotf:wasn't funny at the time though...

IDK between helmet wind and transmission whine I can barely hear mine at 55 60 but running slow or hammering on it they are much louder which is exactly what I wanted loud when I want and tolerable to stock when I don't want them loud.

ALSO I found out my mufflers are from a 2012 street glide if that makes any difference I don't know

Edited by 93turbo