My 1983 venture will stall hear and there, when idles too long cough and weez when giving gas but will rev up. When gas is low wont start very easy. The idle is up and down. Could it be my fuel pump? Watch the fuel filter and gas was popping ever 5 or so seconds.

I would start by using the YammerDan method. enpty the fuel tank until there is only a quart of fresh fuel left(dump all old fuel), dump a can of Seafoam in and run the bike for a few minutes until youre sure the carbs are full of the mix, then let it sit at least over night, maybe a whole day or more. then put in some fresh gas and then ride the bike,dont baby it. seafoam should clear out your carbs. You may need to replace sparkplugs afrer as the crud the seafoam removes has a tendency to foul plugs.

(this method may not work if the carb low speed jets are block completely but its the easiest method i know of to get these machines running decently)

Also change your fuel filter...

Brian

Edited by friesman

Check the rubber caps that plug the carb syncing tubes. As they age they crack. A couple of mine had the closed ends all but fall off. Also check you diaphrams and sliders. I had one come completly apart ( the metal thimble that the diaphram sits on came clean out of the barrel). Both resulted in similar conditions you described.

Is anyone else getting strange quick links in the posts they read . The first time I noticed one was in Marcarls post re: the niagra falls ride from the international. I have come across it in three other posts. It will usuallly appear as keyword highlighted with double under lines. You think it is a link to something to do with the post but when you click on it you get advertising. In Marcarls post it took me to an ad for womans clothing. Once you close the post and come back to it, it is gone. The word the link was attached to is still there but no longer highlighted or underlined.

The 2 tubes on the shifter side? Was looking at them the other day noticed they broke off at the metal peice that holds them. Thought there were breather hoses.

No, those are overflow tubes. He was talking about the vacuum lines on the intake tubes below the carbs.

Or MarCarl is selling women's underwear to make a few buck... The question is .."was it new or slightly used ? :shock3:"

Hey just asking....... :confused24:

:rotf:

It is a joint Venture, for the International Rally.

Tom is the model & Carl is the spokesman.

And, it was slightly used.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/Tom.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/PICT0362s.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Bike is running good now. Just picked up a set of 2002 roadking pipes for nothing. Installing them this weekend. Just cleaned starter. Still having slow turnover. Going to replace soleniod next.

Thanks for all the help. Bike is running good now. Just picked up a set of 2002 roadking pipes for nothing. Installing them this weekend. Just cleaned starter. Still having slow turnover. Going to replace soleniod next.

If youre having the slow crank speed on hot start, FYI that its pretty normal with oem wiring and the oem starter.. There are threads in her describing how to swap out your starter and solenoid wires to a heavier guage and another fix is to swap out your oem starter for a 4 brush starter that the Vmaxs and 99-2012 Ventures have.

Mine just has the heavier guage wire fix and it cured my hot start issue.

Brian

I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing the solenoid. Just heavier battery cables and do the ground wire modification on the old starter or go with a 4 brush starter, as was mentioned above. New AGM battery will also work. Battery is available from Skydoc_17 on this site.

Jim