IGNORED

Radio Controller Issues

Jakbag

I need a little help with my 2001 RSV. My radio controller will not shut off, change channels and none of the buttons work except the volume control. I reviewed a boat load of previous posts and therefore split the fairing and checked the connections and all were fine. On Weds I installed new speakers, removed the CD changer and installed an AMP and everything was working just fine. Today, I go out and about 2 miles into my ride the radio controller starts to malfunction. Here's a very interesting thing: the rear push to talk for the passenger will change the radio station when it's pressed. Now that's VERY ODD to me, especially when the radio controller won't do anything except adjust the volume. I will ateempt to trouble shoot again tomorrow. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

JAKBAG

When I bought the bike used last Aug I was told by the previous owner that the CD player was disconnected inside the fairing. Up until last night I had never removed the CD, but had previously removed the cassette player last October. I've never had any problems with the radio controller up until yesterday. As far as the connections goe, I have taken them apart, cleaned, applied D grease and reconnected. After myself and a friend removed the CD and installed new speakers and an Amp everything was working perfect. I used the FM and aux input for my XM without any problems. Now the radio controller is only able to adjust volume up & down and nothing else. It's very weird that the rear push to talk changed the FM station??? I only found that by accident while leaning across the back of the bike and pushing the button. I do understand what you've said about getting the connections mixed up, but why would it work fine then stop? I also installed the Buddy Rich cable and thought maybe that caused the issue, but no because I removed the cable and it didn't make a difference.

I'm completely baffled by this dilemma!! I've read thru a ton of old posts and most said it was a loose cable marked RED, but that wasn't it either. One old post even said that they were experience the issue with the passenger push to talk and found that wiring was being crimped in the fairing. I will go over again today in more detail.

Any help would be much appreciated because I'm at a wits ends!!!

Jakbag

Thanks Buddy! I will give another try tomorrow. I gave up for today,especially since it's quite HOT here in NY. It's just such a freaky thing since it all worked fine on Weds then when I went out yesterday it started to act up. Have you ever heard of anything like this? I actually thought it could have been a defective radio controller, but??? I will let you know.......

Jakbag

Don,

I would greatly appreciate that offer:))) I was struggling with the idea of buying one and if that wasn't the problem then I was stuck with an extra. Either later tonight or early tomorrow morning I will take the fairing apart once again and clean the connections and reapply D-grease. It's the weirdest thing Don and it's got me quite puzzled to say the least. I've learned so much from this site and without a doubt it's the BEST $12 I've ever spent:) I have a countless list of work that I've done to the bike since last Aug and I owe this site the huge THANK YOU for all of the tips, tricks and tech support! I will let you know I make out. If needed ill PM my address to you.

Thanks,

John