IGNORED

I can no longer ride.

Steve S

Hello everyone.

Due to a major accident in April of 2011 I can no longer ride. I am very thankful that I am pretty much back to normal, which is being generous for me, but riding a motorcycle is out of the question for me. It has taken me this long to get to the point that I can even tell my story. It sure stinks, but it is life.

While trying to slow down for a curve I got off the road. The ground was soft and the bike stopped, but i didn't. I went off the front of the bike and dug a trench in the ground with my brand new Arai helmet. I firmly believe it was that helmet that prevented some serious brain damage. After a 3 week stay in Vanderbilt hospital and 3 months at home, I was able to return to work driving a towboat on the Mississippi River. As I said, I am truly blessed.

Due to this accident I have gotten rid of what was left of the bike and am in the process of disposing of other things. The first and most important is a trialer that I won from Venture Riders two years ago. I have listed the trailer in the Classified section. It is with a very heavy heart that I do this, but it needs to be used. It is a shame to allow it to set and not be utilized.

My thanks to everyone for allowing me to tell my story in here. I pray that every one of y'all have a wonderful and very safe ride every time you set out.

Steve Stewart

So glad you have made a recovery and are able to tell us about it..........like Mini said once a member always a member, just because you dont ride any more doesnt mean you have to stay away, hell you can even come to the meets in your cage or your towboat.........LOL.

Glad your still around.

That is a major drag but we are glad that you are better and able to do what you can. I remember when your name was drawn for that trailer and I thought dang....didnt win again. I have a trailer so wont be bidding....hope it goes to a member of our "family" here.

Glad you are here to tell us about it and I can feel for you it took me 10 years after my wreck to buy another bike, never did stop riding just could not bring myself to have one of my own. Like others have said stick around its a great group of folks.

Hello: Thanks for sharing. Accidents can happen to any of us and on any vehicle. It took me 25 years before I got back on after an accident. I truly love the sport. It is one thing that my wife and I enjoy doing together. Please stick around. The bike may be gone but the friendships here are for a life time.:)

Guest Ken8143

my brother just sold his wing - he lost the fire in his belly for riding after he went down hard twice, badly breaking first one knee then the other. A sad day - but seasons of life come and seasons go.

I enjoyed so much riding with him, so it is sort of an open question about what I will do. Being on the road every week makes home time important and I just don't get out like I used to.

Not exactly looking to sell my 1st gen, but might could be persuaded.

Hope you stick around here Steve! I hate to hear stories like that but I, and everyone else here, understands like no one who has never ridden can understand. This is a family. I will be gone for months at a time but like the prodigal son, I am always welcomed back. You are always welcome no matter how many wheels are under you.

I'm sorry to hear your time to put the bike away has come. I can see the future a bit and don't like whats coming way to soon for me. Please stay and add your thoughts to this site as we do need some one to keep us in line.:backinmyday:

Ya! What he said!

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat to some extent. I'm better than I was some years ago but still have days where I simply can't walk without a great deal of pain even with a cane. I tipped the dang thing over twice last year because my legs have gotten weaker. The top heavy 1st gen doesn't help. I can still ride on most days with little pain. Some days it's easier to get on and off of the bike than it is to get in and out of the truck. Luckily I'm a bit of a self proclaimed engineer and will think of anything I can to keep riding. Even if that means mounting some handlebars in a sidecar if I have to. I've seen contraptions where people have strapped wheelchairs to a sidecar frame and driven from there. Or at least strapped the chair down and slid over onto the bike and rode using a jockey shift setup or similar. So I know there are some options out there even if you legs don't work as they used to.

So like some of the others have said, we hope you'll stay around and continue with the input. Who knows, maybe in the future your health and/or you will, will allow you to return to riding. I'm sure there are plenty here who could help ya make it happen whatever the case may be.

Hang in there!

Bill