IGNORED

I need proof/documentation

1rooster

I've heard it over and over that the 1st gen is faster than the 2nd gen.I have a 86 and a 99 with sidecar.There is a straight stretch of road here we call the dragstrip.From the big rock to the mailbox I ran 85 on the 86.On the same stretch on my 99 I ran80 and that was with the sidecar.Does anyone have documented proof that the 1st gen is faster other that I said it is.does anyone have drag slips where the same rider rode both bikes?I HONESTLY do not believe my 86 is faster than my 99.

PS. Bet this will probably be deleted within the first 10 repliees but I do need an answer and not just an opinion.:confused24:

:shock3:Both bikes are faster than anyone has ever posted on this site..... for instance, just sitting in the garage they are moving at approximately 2,724,666 MPH. ( And here is the math to back it up):

As you move toward the poles that number decreases. At the north pole the speed is zero and you are simply rotating in place at one rotation every 24 hours. So let’s assume you are sitting somewhere in South Florida moving at about 1,000 miles per hour or 1,610 KPH.

The Earth is also making one orbit around the sun every year. That sounds like a long time, but the orbit is huge. The Earth is roughly 93 million miles (150 million km) away from the sun, giving its orbit a circumference of 584 million miles (942 million km). That works out to 66,666 MPH or 107,000 KPH.

If you are on the side of the planet where the planet’s rotation is moving in the same direction as the orbital direction, these two speeds add together. If you are on the opposite side, they subtract. We are trying to calculate a maximum speed, so we will be adding.

Our solar system itself is also moving in an orbit around the galactic core. The solar system is something like 25,000 light years away from the center of the galaxy, and the galaxy makes one rotation every 250 million years or so. That gives the solar system a speed of something like 420,000 MPH or 675,000 KPH.

So there is speculation that the galaxy is moving through the universe at a speed of 1,000 km/s, which means 3,600,000 KPH or 2,237,000 MPH.

Adding it all up, you get:

1000 + 66,666 + 420,000 + 2,237,000 = 2,724,666 MPH :shock3::shock3::shock3:

Doppler shift= Red is moving away, Blue is moving toward you. Therefore--- Red is faster, just like my second Gen RSTD :)

Edited by CalhounWV
Doppler shift answer question of which is faster.

:shock3:Both bikes are faster than anyone has ever posted on this site..... for instance, just sitting in the garage they are moving at approximately 2,724,666 MPH. ( And here is the math to back it up):

As you move toward the poles that number decreases. At the north pole the speed is zero and you are simply rotating in place at one rotation every 24 hours. So let’s assume you are sitting somewhere in South Florida moving at about 1,000 miles per hour or 1,610 KPH.

The Earth is also making one orbit around the sun every year. That sounds like a long time, but the orbit is huge. The Earth is roughly 93 million miles (150 million km) away from the sun, giving its orbit a circumference of 584 million miles (942 million km). That works out to 66,666 MPH or 107,000 KPH.

If you are on the side of the planet where the planet’s rotation is moving in the same direction as the orbital direction, these two speeds add together. If you are on the opposite side, they subtract. We are trying to calculate a maximum speed, so we will be adding.

Our solar system itself is also moving in an orbit around the galactic core. The solar system is something like 25,000 light years away from the center of the galaxy, and the galaxy makes one rotation every 250 million years or so. That gives the solar system a speed of something like 420,000 MPH or 675,000 KPH.

So there is speculation that the galaxy is moving through the universe at a speed of 1,000 km/s, which means 3,600,000 KPH or 2,237,000 MPH.

Doppler shift= Red is moving away, Blue is moving toward you. Therefore--- Red is faster, just like my second Gen RSTD :)

So what you are telling me is,even with the bikes parked in my garage with the 99 in front it is actually faster sitting still.Makes sense to me. And I believe what you are saying is documented so that is good enough for me.:cool10: if I had a moped sitting in my garage in Ecuador I could outrun a Venture running 100 mph in WV.

Edited by 1rooster

check this out a gold wing and a 2nd gen?

That's painful to watch !!

14.04 sec @ 96.01 sec.

Neither one of them were getting any bite coming of the line.

Skydoc said his 1st gen hit high 11's.

Gary

Well, let's just say that Yamaha doesn't publish 1/4 mile times for the 2nd gens. Must have a good reason, hint, hint. Aren't they also limited to 115 mph or so while the 1st gens aren't? Gotta wonder.

The '83 reviews give them a 12.69 sec @ 103 mph 1/4 mile time, top speed about 136 mph. That's the 1200cc at 90 hp. That video had the guy on the 2nd gen doing 14.32/14.38 sec @ 90.8 mph 1/4 mile, no idea how beat or loaded up the bike is. Stock hp is 97 for the 1300cc IIRC.

-Andrew

You must be smokin some of the green stuff moving at 1,000,000 miles per joint, too. Come you know "green" is faster.

Now that I have that 86 tranny in my 83, I think that my 1st gen could easily outrun most 2nd Gens. Thanks again for the donation, it made a big improvement in my bike.

You must be smokin some of the green stuff moving at 1,000,000 miles per joint, too. Come you know "green" is faster.

Come on guys, it's the beginning of summer and you're all sitting around here smokin' something and figuring how fast the universe is moving when you should be out riding!!! Let's go, winter's coming very fast!!!!

Of course!!...NOW I UNDERSTAND.:lightbulb:

I've heard it over and over that the 1st gen is faster than the 2nd gen.I have a 86 and a 99 with sidecar.There is a straight stretch of road here we call the dragstrip.From the big rock to the mailbox I ran 85 on the 86.On the same stretch on my 99 I ran80 and that was with the sidecar.Does anyone have documented proof that the 1st gen is faster other that I said it is.does anyone have drag slips where the same rider rode both bikes?I HONESTLY do not believe my 86 is faster than my 99.

PS. Bet this will probably be deleted within the first 10 repliees but I do need an answer and not just an opinion.:confused24:

OK. this is from my post to a thread in Sep 2011. The info came from a couple of Cycle World issues (I have them going back a looooooong way.) Hope it answers your question.

Andy

""For what it's worth.

From the June 1986 issue of Cycle World:

1986 Venture Royale - 1/4 mile 12.95 sec. @ 102.72 mph

top speed on a radar gun 118.00 mph

dry weight 774 lbs

From the June 1999 issue of Cycle World:

1999 Royal Star Venture - 1/4 mile 13.75 sec. @ 91.14 mph

top speed on a radar gun 105.00 mph

dry weight 850 lbs (Yamaha says 805 lbs dry - must have been a misprint in CW)

Let the arguments begin!!"

I've gone faster on my 1st Gen Lady Blue, fourth gear... I needed to pass six cars, and a semi truck, I had enough time, I gunned fourth gear on. I'm sure the Semi Truck driver doin' 50 was ****tin' himself when I passed his sorry arse, who only NOW after FIVE MILES of straightaway, decided less not do 45.

I do know I DID red line the engine to 8000 ish rpm. I do know I WAS doing 123 (go figure)

Aside it all, I probably could of upshifted to 5th, but if I remember 5th is OD, not much of a power gear.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the First and Second Gen's are EXACTLY the same in every way, HP wise, weight wise, etc. There are riders on this forum that have NEVER hit the Rev Limiter on their bikes. (You know who you are!) These are the same group of riders that have never found their center stands either!:crackup: In the UTUBE Vid, I never did hear or see the Second Gen. owner break traction at the green light, and I would hardly call his take off a "Hole Shot". I have personally spooled two speedo's out of the dash on my 87'VR, but I have also been spanked in the twisties by a bone stock 83'VR.:doh: I have never ridden the "tail of the dragon", but I have ridden the 6 hours to Don's Maint. Day in 3 hours and 10 minutes, after working a 12 hour shift, at night! The point I am trying to make is, it is all relative. For some reason, riding well over 100 MPH has no effect on me what so ever, BUT when I lean my bike over to the point that parts of my body, or parts of my bike start to scrape, well my friends, that's where I draw the line. Now don't get me wrong, I like a good twisty road as well as the next person, but I like going really fast, in a strait line much better. Go figure. The best 1/4 mile time I have ever ran on my 87' VR was an 11.86, and 114 MPH. This was without NOS. I tried a 50 shot of NOS in 5th gear the same weekend, and the rear wheel broke traction so badly just under 100MPH that I almost lost control of the bike. I also tried a 50 shot of NOS in 4th gear, and the tranny locked up so tight from the power that I was not able to shift into 5th gear. My best top speed on my 87'VR was 146 MPH over 3 miles with a 100 shot of NOS in 5th gear, (GPS measured, speedo exploded around 137MPH) I can honestly say that I won't be doing that again. Now, my 87'VR has been slightly modified, and being a full on adrenalin junkie doesn't help either. If you have never smoked off your rear tire from a standing start, or shifted thru two gears with the front wheel off the ground, then at 50 plus years of age, (average VR.ORG member age) it would be BEST not to try it now. These days, I much prefer riding to the Ice Cream Stand, than running 50 over the speed limit. My suggestion is to find people that like to ride the same way you do, and ride often with them.

BUT I will say this, for a night's room and board in the lovely state of North Carolina, I will be more than happy to come down there and let you look at the really cool LED lighting I have, ON THE BACK OF MY BIKE!:confused24:

Ride safely folks, you can buy many bikes, but you only have one life.:Laugh:

Earl

Here's my 2 cents: At a Venturers Rally one of the guys with a second gen stated that he might have made a mistake in buying his second gen because after trying to stay up with me the whole day he couldn't. I said there is only one way to find out which was faster...... we lined up out on the pavement and with a running start, both hit the throttle at the same time. We stayed pretty close through 1st but when I hit second (and the front end lifted off the pavement), I stared pulling away and he never caught up. I don't know what color or year his was but my 88 is one of them fastest color of 1st gen.... Salt Lake Silver/Anthony Gray.