IGNORED

Alaska - Here We Come

RedRider

My Dad, younger brother, and I are heading off for Alaska tomorrow morning. We are renting KLR650's in Anchorage and riding for 12 days throughout this great big state.

Day 1 - Anchorage to Denali Nat'l Park

Day 2 - Tour Denali

Day 3 - Ride to Fairbanks - Visit Gold Dredge #8

Day 4 - Ride to Arctic Circle, take picture and spread some ashes, return to Fairbanks

Day 5 - Ride west to Manley Hot Springs, soak for a while, return to Fairbanks

Day 6 - Ride to Tok

Day 7 - Ride to Eagle, then cross into Canada to Dawson on Top of the World Highway

Day 8 - Ride back to Tok

Day 9 - Ride to Valdez

Day 10 - Take Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) to Wittier. Ride to Seward

Day 11 - Ride to Homer

Day 12 - Ride to Anchorage

Day 13 - Fly home and resume my regularly scheduled life.

About 2600 miles. 140 miles on gravel to/from the Arctic Circle. About 150 miles of gravel to Manley Hot Springs. Balance should be paved (unless we take some detours).

We were originally intending to ride up there, but we only have two weeks. The ride would take about 6 days each way (with my Dad along - he can't/won't do the huge miles to get up there in 3 or 4 days). This would only leave about 4 or 5 days to ride in Alaska. Just didn't make sense. Need at a minimum 3 weeks to ride up/back.

Will have a ride report when I get back.

See ya' all in a couple of weeks. :smile5:

RR

Doing the "triangle" is the absolute best way to get a flavor of Alaska. You will not regret your choice.

A few words of advise

The Richardson Highway has a lot of frost heaves. This will slow you down a lot because the other traffic will have to slow down to handle them. When you do go to pass watch for little red flags alongside the road. These are used to tell you a particularly aggressive frost heave is there. That being said they are not able to mark all of them so keep an extra vigilant eye on the road ahead.

Make sure you check the weather very closely going to Valdez as I have been trapped in Thompson Pass in July due to snow.

Always give yourself plenty of time and remind yourself not to get frustrated with the motor homes, which you will encounter way more than you want to. They are there for the same reason you are.

Enjoy the trip and soak up every minute of the great state of Alaska. This will be an adventure you will never forget.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

Doing the "triangle" is the absolute best way to get a flavor of Alaska. You will not regret your choice.

A few words of advise

The Richardson Highway has a lot of frost heaves. This will slow you down a lot because the other traffic will have to slow down to handle them. When you do go to pass watch for little red flags alongside the road. These are used to tell you a particularly aggressive frost heave is there. That being said they are not able to mark all of them so keep an extra vigilant eye on the road ahead.

Make sure you check the weather very closely going to Valdez as I have been trapped in Thompson Pass in July due to snow.

Always give yourself plenty of time and remind yourself not to get frustrated with the motor homes, which you will encounter way more than you want to. They are there for the same reason you are.

Enjoy the trip and soak up every minute of the great state of Alaska. This will be an adventure you will never forget.

Ride Happy, Ride Safe

Thank you for the information on the Richardson. Good thing we will be on rentals.:smile5:

We will be checking the weather daily and adjusting our routing accordingly.

RR

All the best on your journey, especially with family, a real memory maker. I am still 36 months off from scraching this adventure off my bucket list as I have already promised myself this as my retirement gift. Will certainly look forward to hearing more about your adventure down the road.

Safe travels and keep that rubber side down.

Norm

Cool, thats on my bucket list probably next year. If those klr's have stock seats your in for some pain and suffering.

I am taking along a Wally World Stearns ATV seat pad, a beaded seat cover, and a sheep skin. Owning a KLR has its privileges when renting a KLR. Yes, the stock seat is a torture device.

RR

Been there, done that and would do it again in a heart beat. Have fun and be careful. Watch out in the construction zones. They can go on for miles and can be treacherous. I did it on the RSV and was advised to only do the top of the world hwy. if it was dry and it was but it rained hard when we got to Dawson City and we heard that three culverts got washed out on the TWH. If you can work it in the ride from Dawson City to Whitehorse is awesome. At Whitehorse you can get a one day bus trip to take the narrow gauge railroad to Skagway. Well worth the time if you can do it.

One thing about the KLR's is that the tire pressure makes a big difference on the dirt or gravel. Lower pressures will give you much better traction and get rid of the marbles on ice feeling.

I loved my KLR650. Only sold it to get my 87 Venture for my son to ride. Play with the pressures and your ride will be much more enjoyable. :happy65:

I liked my klr it was a good motorcycle and very capable of both on and off road riding. I had it 4 years and only put 3k miles on it because it was uncomfortable to ride for very long. I replaced it with aR1150gs bmw with a russel day long seat and my arse is much happier.