IGNORED

Carbureation Proplems

I'm putting in a question for my friend that has a 1987 Venture 1300. His Venture has about 24000 miles and he has had it since new.

We have had carb and choke problems. We changed the diaprahms and all of of them are now seated right and the slides are dithering as they should be.

However the bike just doen't want to run without right without the choke. We've synched the carbs but it still bogs down under power. The exhaust are runnin hot air not cooler air as it should.

Any suggestions would help. We have not taken apart the carbs and cleaned them yet.

Dick

I think that the pilot jets are at least partially if not fully plugged. Most likely you will have to take the carbs apart and clean the jets. If you are lucky, you can pour a can of seafoam in the gas, run it for a few miles and then let it sit for a day or so, then run it again. Repeat the process for several days and see if there is any improvement, if no improvement, it's time to clean the carbs.

I know no one likes to take the Carbs apart but it sounds like that's what you should do.

Take em apart and clean all the jet/ports and adjust the floats. You'll be happier in the long run.

When you have to add choke it usually means you are running lean which can cause heat.

Good Luck,

BOO

It's running too lean.

My mechanic was able to clear my carbs without pulling the rack off. There's a tread here for attempting that. My brother did it successfully on his. It's worth a try but if it doesn't work you probably are looking at pulling the rack and doing a proper cleaning. If you are able just to it right first.

What worked for my brother was to take off the airbox, diaphragms and spray in a carb cleaner. He used seafoam spray with the long tube but I guess anything that won't eat the diaphragms will do. He counted the turns on the mix screw, then pulled them and sprayed in there. Don't lose the o-rings (I think he swallowed one of his - don't ask...anyway it had to be replaced). He did the exhaust heat test to make sure all 4 were firing, and then ran heavy on the seafoam for a while.

That's basically what my mechanic did on my #3 which was missing at idle.

Both bikes run great although his needs a sync.

I have used the same trick as TZ88.This was first put out by the old Venture Touring Society in their house magazine Venture Roads in a column called Bench Wrench.I think you can still find it over at MTS, their successor.They recommend Berryman's B12 and I have had better luck with that then Seafoam for cleaning.Get the spray and the liquid. Pour liquid in tank, run for awhile and let sit. Then remove airbox and with long tube attached to spray,and bike running,spray it into every hole you can find.Stick tube into hole as far as it will go.Do multiple times until can is used up( big can).Run it for awhile.You may have to run more then one can thru the tank and you may have to do the spray think more then once but it will work.The last bike I did this to was an 08 that had sat for 3 years with no stabilizer in it. In 25 years of riding V4's I have never had to pull a set of carbs unless there was something actually broken.I may be the luckiest *** in the world but that is my experience.

I have used the same trick as TZ88.This was first put out by the old Venture Touring Society in their house magazine Venture Roads in a column called Bench Wrench.I think you can still find it over at MTS, their successor.They recommend Berryman's B12 and I have had better luck with that then Seafoam for cleaning.Get the spray and the liquid. Pour liquid in tank, run for awhile and let sit. Then remove airbox and with long tube attached to spray,and bike running,spray it into every hole you can find.Stick tube into hole as far as it will go.Do multiple times until can is used up( big can).Run it for awhile.You may have to run more then one can thru the tank and you may have to do the spray think more then once but it will work.The last bike I did this to was an 08 that had sat for 3 years with no stabilizer in it. In 25 years of riding V4's I have never had to pull a set of carbs unless there was something actually broken.I may be the luckiest *** in the world but that is my experience.

That's MTA http://www.mtariders.com/v3/

One more thing. Count the turns on your mix screws and let us know. I suppose it could be as simple as that... but I wouldn't bet on it.

There's a thread on here for that. Basically you have to remove the mix screw plugs if they are still in, gently screw in the mix screws to lightly bottom while counting the revolutions.

The mix screws are normally set to 2-1/2 turns from bottom. If you are under 2 on any or all you might have found your problem.

You will want to re-sync the carbs if you change the mix.