Alright i know spark plug replacement should be straight forward. But I've used every swear word i know, and I've even made up a few. I'm trying to get the new plug into the front cylinder on mt 85 venture royale. the other three went right in. do i have to take off the whole front to gain easy access to that spark plug. Pl;ease help, I'm at my wits end. thanx Lazy

First, Get a mirror and look down the hole to be sure there is not something there trying to fall into the cylinder and blocking the plug.

Use a short length of gas line on the end of the plug to act as a handle to get it started.

Look at the front on the other side to get an idea of the correct angle for the plug.

And patience. and your new vocabulary........

If you didn't already, having the lower fairing off helps

No need to remove the upper fairing.

Surgical tubing might not be stiff enough.

There is a plastic panel above the valve cover that can make it hard to get in there, The panel is not bolted in, it just snaps on top of the nuts that hold down the valve cover. It can be wiggled out and back in. Just look close and make sure you pay attention to how it fits and how it came out.

I used the tubing to start, it should fit tight over the ceramic and be fairly stiff, I put a little anti seize on the threads, ease it down and finger start it, it should go easy most the way but as flyinfool said it's all about the proper angle and sockets bad for most of this process.

Alright i know spark plug replacement should be straight forward. But I've used every swear word i know, and I've even made up a few. I'm trying to get the new plug into the front cylinder on mt 85 venture royale. the other three went right in. do i have to take off the whole front to gain easy access to that spark plug. Pl;ease help, I'm at my wits end. thanx Lazy

If you head down to Nelson for the Kruisn the Kootenays rally at the New Grand hotel this July 1sr weekend youll have all the help you can handle.

Brian

Wait til you lean the tricks and you will wonder how you ever had trouble with that. Takes about 20 seconds once you get to it. Lot of things to learn on these old things but they are worth it. Hang in there. Neighbor kid not a bad idea... Got a wife?? I ask the Warden for those little fingers often. GOOD LUCK!!!

DO you have the original tool kit? I use the spark plug socket that comes in the original tool kit.....one end has a rubber piece that grips the plug. That's the end I use to start the plug. BTW, you do have the plastic piece that sits on top of the motor (heat shield) raised up don't you? If you don't have the factory tool kit, I suppose you could use an 18mm deep well socket and then take a piece of paper or cardboard to wedge the plug in the socket. Then put an extension into the socket and use that to install the plug.

Frank D.

It was suggested but maybe missed to

INSPECT WITH A MIRROR to find the debris that fell down there and is blocking the hole.

Depending on what is seen, it may be removed wth a 'hooked' piece of wire, may a stick with gum.......