IGNORED

Question about membership dues

n9viw

Hey all,

I had a quick question about membership dues.

It would seem to me that, with 13,078 members, at $12 per member per year, that's $156,936 per year. WOW! Quite a lucrative business you've got here!

I considered it was possible that, of the listed members, only a portion of them were actual paying members, and the rest were a rotating batch of trial members. I don't know how your member counter works. In any case, figuring on the extreme lean side, let's say that only 1% of that total, or 130 members, were paying crew. That would bring the annual funds to $1,570. Not bad for a gig that's essentially a hobby.

Granted, that's not accounting for expenses (webhosting, cost of software, upkeep, etc), which, for your average vBulletin board (which are generally FREE access) should amount to about $50/month. That takes but a sliver out of the potential pot of dues coming in.

As for the rest... where does it all go?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the question back at you is why is your first question on this board about something that really is none of your business? why is the grass green? why is the sky blue? who cares is just is!!! I have spent money in many places as a motorcycle owner and non have met the value of what this website is. Look at it this way it is a way to keep the riff raff out!!!! If you would like to join We would love to have you, if not delete your post and fade away!!!

The value is what the value is. As many here, my $12.00 has been the best investment I have made in a long time. I have saved hundreds and hundreds and many hours of time here. Made friends.

And... I am guessing you don't believe in the free enterprise system. If somebody invests their time and money and builds something the rest of us wants... financial reward is not what it is all about, but if it works, well... so be it...congrats.

Now I would say that you started off on the wrong foot here... this is a family..a very large family... and you just attacked the Patron...:no-no-no:

Now go cash your welfare check and well....go... :rasberry:

n9viw,

:2YELLOW:

Hang around some before you think it's an easy cash cow ...

and even if it is - worth every penny to me

Thanks for stopping in and visiting, kick your boots off and stay awhile.

Hey all,

It would seem to me that, with 13,078 members, at $12 per member per year, that's $156,936 per year. WOW! Quite a lucrative business you've got here!

I considered it was possible that, of the listed members, only a portion of them were actual paying members, and the rest were a rotating batch of trial members. I don't know how your member counter works. In any case, figuring on the extreme lean side, let's say that only 1% of that total, or 130 members, were paying crew. That would bring the annual funds to $1,570. Not bad for a gig that's essentially a hobby.

Granted, that's not accounting for expenses (webhosting, cost of software, upkeep, etc), which, for your average vBulletin board (which are generally FREE access) should amount to about $50/month. That takes but a sliver out of the potential pot of dues coming in.

Nick-

I can understand your question.

Don Nelson is the big cheese and the originator of the site. While you are coming into the group when he is asking for a modest fee to help cover the costs of running and maintaining the VR.org website, many of us have had the privilege of participating during the years that all of this was provided to us for free at Don's expense.

Is there a direct correlation of pay $12.00 and get this or that, no. Hang around a little bit and you'll find out that it's the best money you'll ever spend.

Great advise on how to maintain, fix or customize your bike, money saved at the repair shop... always, but mostly it is worth it for the great people you'll meet and get to know, the maintenance days, the helping hands, the rallies, rides and the daily interaction on the website.

For the forfeiture of one Coke a month, it's a deal I can't pass up.

Dave

I don't think it was meant as an attack, Don does not make much if anything at all off the board after hosting events like MD and International aslo taking care of members that have had diffrent needs. I first had the pleasure of meeting Don in 1999 and I can tell you he is all about the ride.

Hey all,

Aussie Annie would be a good one to talk to about how this site helps EVERYONE.

Hey all,

Beer and wild women. And on the touring bikes he/we ride

Hey all,

As has already been said, this part is really no one's business other than the boss.

Did you send a similar email to Microsoft, questioning Bill Gates' earnings, if and when you bought a copy of Windows? Don't think so!

I'll sit down now......:rant:

Best investment I ever made and I'm going to stay in my corner.... My fingers are on fire!!!! Remember that famous phrase about our Great Nation?? LOVE IT OR......yeah I know back in the corner!! Outta let me out for a little fun once in a while!!!:whistling:

We would love to have you stay around and I know you can't get better bang for your buck but....OK I'm done................not

We are holding our International rally July 22-26. If you want to see what we are all about come to the rally. Or go to any Meet and eat or any day ride that are held around the country. Find out what we are all about before you pass judgement. It is an honor to belong to this family and well worth $12. Oh and just so you know there are more then a few members that are down on there luck who have been help by this organization. Not to mention the folks here that give ther personal time and money to help there bothers and sister. If this is what you are looking for then please join us.

I hope this is a ligitamate question.:confused24: I have been here since this site began and was free. I pay now because it is money well spent.I don't really know where all the money goes anymore then I know where any business spends all of its money.At least as far as this site is concerned I don't care,I get more then my money's worth.If you're asking does this site have any value my answer is yes,the value is incalcuable both in terms of knowledge about bikes in general and Yamaha Ventures/Royal Stars in particular and also the social interactions/friendships.If you are just stiring the pot then please go away.:no-no-no:If you have a Yamaha Venture,Venture Royale,or Royal Star in particlular or any motorcycle in general and want a great association with some real riders stick around, have some fun, enjoy the ride. Besides you'll probably waste more then $12.00 on far less worthwhile things then this,even if all it did was line Don's pockets:)

Edited by Pegasus1300
spelling

Hey all,

The 13,000 member number does not equate to actual active members. From what I've seen it includes expired members, trial members, etc. A more realistic number of active users is around 1200, with some of those being trial members.

So... roughly saying there are 1,000 members @ $12 is $12,000 per year. From that subtract cost of web hosting, licensing the forum software, however much Don might take as payment from his company for managing and moderating it (and he spends a LOT of time monitoring it), Maintenance Day (catering for 150 to 300 people @ probably $15/person - at 300 people costs him $4500... plus the time he and his wife spend organizing it). Don't think Don "pockets" much for his efforts or the grief some poeople give him.

On the other side... what do YOU get for your $12 ? Unlimited support to keep you on your bike and riding. Free maintenance if you attend Maintenance Day (with a free meal). Members who will go out of their way to assist you (carb tunes, bike maintenance, emergency repairs). Visiting members have been provided with bikes for touring during their North American visits. Parts Diagrams. Maintenance Manuals. Prayers for the sick. Free parts offers or low cost on hard to find items. Oh... and can't forget the naked chat rooms !

Maybe you asked to see what value there is in this site since you are a trial member. Asking how much "profit" Don takes from membership isn't a reasonable question and not one any of us has asked or been concerned with in the past because : 1) none of our business; 2) the effort Don puts into this site with upgrades and adding features when asked; 3) that Don has created this forum for the Venture rider community; 4) the value each of us gets from our $12/year; 5) the social aspect (group rides)

99% of the members don't care if you ask a question that can be easily found thru the search feature, instead they'll give you the link and/or tell you how to enable yourself. On some sites you get beaten up for asking what they deem to be an stupid question - on here there are no dumb questions

Try the site, meet the members (organized rides in your area).... best value for you'll find and only costs you $12 a year. You can't get this much fun for such a low price.

(Not a shill for the site.... but a happy member)

Best $12 I've spent all year. Just did fork seals and progressive springs last weekend, without the help and information available here I would not have thought about the progressives and would have followed the repair procedure in the service manual; which would have taken twice as long to complete the repair.

Can't beat the quality of help available from other members on this site.

I live a long way behind nowhere, don't think I've ever even met another member of this site (in person)

The maintenance advice, knowledge and support I've found here can't be matched. I didn't start riding until age 49. Never turned a wrench on anything. Figured that's what mechanics are for.

Since I bought the beast last year I'd added accessories, changed the seat, etc. This spring I wired in a Stebel horn, built a trailer from a kit, wired the bike for the trailer, installed a hitch, and dragged said homemade trailer 5000 km from here to Montreal and back (my first real road trip).

Would never have had the nerve to attempt the trip, much less do the trailer and associated bike mods, without the expertise, guidance, and support from this site.

This afternoon I'm gonna change my own oil, just because I can.. (another new experience)

Is Don making $1000? Is Don making $100,000? Don't know, and don't care. I'm paying $12 a year and getting incredible value for my money.

Welcome to the family. Relax and enjoy.

Hey all,

Really? How much money do you make? What is it you do to get that money? How many hours do you spend a day to get that money? Are you really worth that much money? What do you spend the money on? Please provide detailed explanations and a spread sheet.

Really? How much money do you make? What is it you do to get that money? How many hours do you spend a day to get that money? Are you really worth that much money? What do you spend the money on? Please provide detailed explanations and a spread sheet.

Now now.... don't want to scare off a prospective member. Maybe the $12 Don gets from his membership will pay off his kid's College education !

ok im new to this GREAT BIG FAMILY by a few months and i can tell you 12.00 is not worth the money i spent on this site it should be 120.00 considering the money (that i dont have yet) these guys have saved me just in repairs i would have spent at a shop yes my bike may still be down but for me to fix my carbs will cost me around 200.00 in parts (guesstamite) versus 1600.00 + at a shop . the knowledge and willingness of these people wanting to help others is priceless and the friends you get to meet. this is a great group of people on this site

Ok,

Guys don't exasperate!!!!

Now we know why he is driving a CB 750....

Our payment is nothing in retribution of what we got from all our people around.

Ah, don't forget the cost of maintenance for the monster of the pound, that we only can watch once or twice a year...

But still, you don't need to pay. Just finish your trial.

Ah, we don't have a section for CBs...

:080402gudl_prv: