IGNORED

Headlight not working,please help.

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a 86 VR that I just got a couple of days ago, this is my first big street bike, anyhow, when I picked the bike up everything worked fine, I could tell right away carbs need cleaned and battery is draining fast. I got the bike home and went to start it for a friend, I noticed the dash lights were not working, I'm referring to the lights that light up the speedo and tach, the lights above for blinkers and such worked fine, so I walked to the front of the bike to find that the headlight was not working. I checked the fuse and bulb, both looked fine to me.I went out the next day after work and the lights worked, now tonight they stopped working again. Electrical is not my thing, I tried looking at the wiring diagram on this site, might as well been written in japanese.Is this happening because the battery is junk? Is there a relay that deals with the headlight? Any help would be awesome,thanks

The starter bush button on the right grip has 2 sets of contacts.

1 set N.O. and closes when pushed to apply ground to the start relay to start engine

2 set N.C. and opens when pushed to remove power from headlight RLU (reserve lighting unit, powering the headlight) and dash lights

99.9% sure your problem is the second set of contacts are dirty and not closing when starter button is released. The grip can be opened and contacts cleaned. Thread about cleaning here somewhere.

Found the cleaning thread

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42433

Edited by bkuhr
add thread

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!! thank you guys so much, I only wish I would of asked a couple days ago as I now have the whole front of the bike turn apart lol! O well it needs a good cleaning, thanks again, it is the start button and I will be cleaning that ASAP!

Headlight works, now my blinkers don't?any ideas? Fuse is good

Just in case you have front end off, the turn signals will not work with the hazard switch unplugged. (right side under handle bar, in plastic cover)

Gary