So I really want a bit more sound outa the new bike. I've seen a youtube vid for V&H Monster Ovals - they sound really nice with a deep soft tone. Think I'll go for the ones with the black tips. So the thing is: do I just simply order ones for a R/King off V&H? What year? My bike is an '08 Midnight Venture. Also I've seen the adapter brackets for them on ebay. Is that all I need to fit them?

Dont they have a set that is set up for the RSV?

Last time I checked, they only had them for the Harley's. They sound a whole lot better on our Ventures though. Like a 327 Chevelle with a low restriction exhaust. Wish I had the money for a set.

Andy

So can I just be clear on this, as it's alot of money if i get the wrong muffler!!

Is it correct that providing I have the bracket (just purchased on fleabay) ANY Road King muffler will fit?? If so I'll get V&H fish tail.

So can I just be clear on this, as it's alot of money if i get the wrong muffler!!

Is it correct that providing I have the bracket (just purchased on fleabay) ANY Road King muffler will fit?? If so I'll get V&H fish tail.

A common muffler swap is the RK (Road King) slash-cuts .. they can generally be had for 0 - 100 dollars depending on where you get them. That rear bracket fits and you will need a clamp for each side where they join the header pipe. A common clamp is the V-twin clamps part # 31-9920

I got mine from Canadian Chopper in Richmond, BC ... cost about $37

Canadian "Chopper" Dist Ltd - 604-278-6147

150-5751 Cedarbridge Way , Richmond , BC V6X 2A8

A common muffler swap is the RK (Road King) slash-cuts .. they can generally be had for 0 - 100 dollars depending on where you get them. That rear bracket fits and you will need a clamp for each side where they join the header pipe. A common clamp is the V-twin clamps part # 31-9920

I got mine from Canadian Chopper in Richmond, BC ... cost about $37

Canadian "Chopper" Dist Ltd - 604-278-6147

150-5751 Cedarbridge Way , Richmond , BC V6X 2A8

I just picked up a pair of RK's. The new RK's do not seem to be the same size

at the manafold pipe! They will only slip on as far as 3/8 to 1/2 inch, that is as far as

I can get them to go! Tried wackin the heck out of them with the rubber mallet also. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Steve :confused24:

I just picked up a pair of RK's. The new RK's do not seem to be the same size

at the manafold pipe! They will only slip on as far as 3/8 to 1/2 inch, that is as far as

I can get them to go! Tried wackin the heck out of them with the rubber mallet also. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Steve :confused24:

From my recall of other's having the same issue, I believe there are some tabs or nubs or some kind of raised "bumper" inside the inlet which needs to be ground off.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong or provide more detailed info.

From my recall of other's having the same issue, I believe there are some tabs or nubs or some kind of raised "bumper" inside the inlet which needs to be ground off.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong or provide more detailed info.

For $10 Harbor Freight make a pipe expander set and that makes it easy to slip on, just do a little at a time...:backinmyday:

I have done the RK's the Bubs, and the LA Choppers. I liked the fit of the Bubs and the LA Choppers best as they are made for the RSV. The LA Choppers sound the best in my opinion. The LA Choppers are oval tipped black the tips can be rotated 180 degrees and the slash cut and can have the packing removed or repacked if necessary and rejetting was not necessary according to the guys at the shop when checked with the EGA.

• 1 month later...
For $10 Harbor Freight make a pipe expander set and that makes it easy to slip on, just do a little at a time...:backinmyday:

It looks like the pipe expander is the only answer!

The RK pipes are approx. .025" smaller than the header pipes!

I hope that expanding the RK pipes will not take off the Chrome!

Steve :fingers-crossed-emo

Take a trip to your local Autozone. They have a "loan a tool" program and probably have the expander. You can use thiers and not be out the money.

Treecol Try the RK take off mufflers first. Look around on craigs list by your location and see if any are for sale. Good sound and your not out $200-300 bucks. You should be able to find a pair you can go pick up instead of ship, check with your local HD dealer for some take offs. There were a couple years you want to stay away from as they had cat converters in them, but its like 09-10 model years. Look thru the fourms and you can find the "good" part numbers. I'm still searching for an alternate source for the clamp on the muffler end, right now I'm using just a plain old hose clamp.