IGNORED

Another Toy - 1986 BMW K75C

RedRider

This has been a good year in the bike turnover department. Think I may have found one to hang onto for a while.

If you may recall, I recently picked up a 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T barn find. Well, the word got out and I sold it for $300 more than I paid without even putting a battery in it.

So, now there is a hole on the garage floor that needs filled. It was filled Sunday with a 1986 BMW K75C with just over 20,000 miles on it. Was working with the previous owner for 3 or 4 weeks to get the pricing to where it needed to be. He finally gave in on Saturday and I picked it up on Sunday.

Got plates and insurance today and went for a 25 mile run to the grocery store (that's 2 miles away). Need a different seat, but other than that, it is a really smooth little bike. Think I found an almost new Corbin just a few miles away. Need to do some investigation to see if it will fit.

For those not initiated to the BMW world, the engine in this bike is affectionately known as the flying brick. It is considered to be one of the most reliable, long lasting engines ever put in a motorcycle. And smoooooooth.

It needs a new front shoe (age cracking), but otherwise ready to ride, ride, ride. It will likely be one of the boy's bike since it is a tad small for me.

The 3 cylinders act like a V4 - it likes the revs. The power band hits about 4000 RPM and just moves out. Decent front disc brake and an anemic drum rear brake. Great bike.

RR

I had a BMW K1100, 4-cyl version of this bike for several years. It has a lot going for it mechanically, if you can adjust to its strange looking engine. The K75 is on my short list for a medium sized street machine if I buy another bike. There are lots of them out there with over 100,000 miles on them.

Good find.