IGNORED

Where to put a Shindengen R/R

I've been looking for a place to install the Shindegen R/R. Still can't seem to make the decision to get rid of the OEM sound system even though it does not work. I like the idea of having a radio and CB.

Looks like there might be room in the forward part of the left audio compartment, particularly if the cassette is removed. Don't mind losing that although I don't know if it needs to be attached for the rest of the audio to work. That would be for another thread anyway.

Found what looked like the perfect spot just above the rear shock, lots of room, open to the air but kinda close to the rear cylinder exhaust outlets so it might be too hot there. Any thoughts? Another option is to put it in the left cowling air intake. I think someone did that but can't find the thread. Also can't seem to get the grill off. Looks like just one screw holding it but there is a prong on the other side, the inside, that prevents it from coming out. Now I can't get it back in.

Everything related to Ventures seems to be so complicated except for riding on the highway. I think I'm feeling frustrated.

Good thought Brian, but the lower fairings were removed quite a while ago because they restricted my knees. Not sure if I'll put them back on although the bike does look better with them. Might only be a temporary solution but decided to mount the R/R on the inside forward part of the left fairing pocket and if it is in the way of the cassette then bye bye old technology.

Sure would like to get some opinions regarding mounting it in the space behind the engine above the shock. This would be just a bit above where the aft end of the frame brace bolts to the frame. It's an easy fit if that area does not get too hot.

Hey Clive,

Try looking under the rear trunk. A small plate with the R/R mounted to it on the frame the trunk mounts to would do the trick. Extend the wires from the harness up to the rear trunk and you would be good to go. I think it was FrankD that had some great pics of the R/R located in this area. Give him a shout.

Earl

Would it be possible to put it where the original is? Make up an adapter plate?

I bought the charging kit from Earl and I installed that R/R back in the original spot by the swingarm. I'll try to get some pics of it and post them up.

I made a bracket and put it right behind the engine above the plastic ducting that sits on the engine. It's hanging on a bar of aluminum that I bent and bolted on top of the stiffening bar that goes along the left hand side. that way all wires are where they are stock and I have good air flow over the regulator.

You can see the aluminum bracket in this photo, the regulator is right behind it.

I was going to mount it in the stock location, but short of getting a drill out and drilling out all the screws mounting the stock regulator, that was not going to happen. so I cut off the wires to the stock one and abandoned it in place.

No, the Shindengen R/R is thicker thaN THE oem, so mounting it in the original location won't work. I'm not home, so I can't look and see if I do have pictures of mounting it where Earl did his, under the travel trunk, but I don't remember having them. I'm still running the OEM unit, because before my trip last month, I didn't have time to dream up a mount for it. Some have mounted it in the left fairing but I've got a few extra things in there alreardy (horn relay, power supply for GPS, etc) and I'd have to move it down the the forward bottom of the pocket. If you don't have the original radio installed, it's much easier. If you pull the cassette, you have to add a jumper that tells the radio that the cassette isn't running, and I have the wiring diagram at home. Mounting it in the left fairing there wouldn't be a quick job (in my bike) though. The black panel under the fairing isn't flat there, so a mounting plate/system would be needed. Another possibilityh is on top of the air box, if you don't have the TCI mounted there (I don't). I don't think I'd mount it in the fairing lowers. They are pretty light weight, and the regulator would strain the mounting tabs, plus you'd have to wire it so you could get to the plug so you could disconnect it when youi pull the lowers (sync the carbs, change spark plugs, etc). Things are packed pretty tight on the 1st Gens.

Frank D.

@ Timgray

That is exactly where I was thinking. Looks like a fairly easy place to attach a plate on the left side at least although the rear master is in the way on the right side. Might , probably will, move it there when I have more time.

@ frankd

As I mentioned, last night, mounted it in the left fairing. It is flat enough, almost perfect in fact. Burned a couple of holes with a soldering iron and used some large self tapping screws. Haven't tried to put the cassette back in yet though but expect it will not fit. Have to come up with a temporary cover.

@ skydoc

Under the trunk looked like a good place too but thought it would take too much time.

Supposed to be leaving for Kruzin the Kootenays tomorrow. Not sure I'm going to make my schedule but had an extra day planned for the trip so should still be able to get there on time.

You know if you guys would spend more time on forum and less time sleeping all this good information would have gotten to me before I had to make up my mind on my own. :buttkick:

Thanks for all the input. :big-grin-emoticon: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

All I used was a 8" lone piece of 3/4" wide flat aluminum. drilled a hole to mount the R&R, wires pointed at the bend. drilled a hole for the bolt in the frame that holds the stiffener on. Slide it in bolted it on. IT will get almost no water there unless I ride into a 1 foot deep puddle at high speed, and has some decent air flow.

I think I have a more detailed photo at home, I'll post it later. took 2 minutes to drill the aluminum and I bent it over the edge of the garbage can with my hands.

I mounted mine on the bottom of the trunk. Routed the wires along the frame beneath the seat and spliced them into the stator and system wires.

I did the same thing except on the hot side, I ran a 10 ga wire to the front and spliced it in at the main fuse.

On the ground side, I ran a short 10 ga wire to the closest bolt on the frame.

:cool10:

I made a bracket and put it right behind the engine above the plastic ducting that sits on the engine. It's hanging on a bar of aluminum that I bent and bolted on top of the stiffening bar that goes along the left hand side. that way all wires are where they are stock and I have good air flow over the regulator.

You can see the aluminum bracket in this photo, the regulator is right behind it.

I was going to mount it in the stock location, but short of getting a drill out and drilling out all the screws mounting the stock regulator, that was not going to happen. so I cut off the wires to the stock one and abandoned it in place.

The stock R/R will come out if you use a good #3 phillips. I used a #3 tip into a 1/4 socket and onto a rachet...came out easy. As fo rthe Mosfet R/R. I put mine into the horizontal left INTAKE duct. Fits good with high quality Velcro and can be removed if needed. Yes, I needed to drill a small hole thru the duct for the wires. #14 for Stator and #10 for +/-. FYI #10 might have been an overkill. #12 is what most use including Yamaha. The R/R never gets hot...

Edited by jasonm.

The stock R/R will come out if you use a good #3 phillips. I used a #3 tip into a 1/4 socket and onto a rachet...came out easy. As fo rthe Mosfet R/R. I put mine into the horizontal left INTAKE duct. Fits good with high quality Velcro and can be removed if needed. Yes, I needed to drill a small hole thru the duct for the wires. #14 for Stator and #10 for +/-. FYI #10 might have been an overkill. #12 is what most use including Yamaha. The R/R never gets hot...

It's a 30 amp system. 10 ga is rated for 30 amps. 12 ga is rated for 20 amps.

As stated earlier I put my R/R in the left faring where the cassette used to be. I'm thinking seriously about moving it, probably to the space behind the rear cylinders as Tim mentioned although I also liked the under trunk position. I'd have to look it up to be sure but as I recall, without cooling the R/R will supply 27 amps and with cooling it is more but can't remember how much. To move it I'll need to get 2 more spade connectors that will fit the R/R plug. Anyone know where those connectors can found?