Hello fellow riders.

I'm a brand new member to the Yamaha family. I've been riding cycles since I was 16. My first bike was a Harley Sprint. That died on me when I was young and didn't get another bike until back in 2003 when I bought a Honda Shadow 600. That kept me happy for the last 9 years but I wanted something bigger that I could ride 2 up with the wife. Was just kind of looking around and fell in love with the 2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe that a local dealership had for sale, so I pulled the trigger and now I'm the proud owner of said bike.

I've got a few questions.

1. The bike itself didn't come with a owners manual. I've got the one off of Yamaha's site, but I'd also like a service manual. There are some things that from the owners manual didn't seem very clear to me and I'm hoping that the service manual will help clear it up. Any suggestions as to what service manual I should get? I've seen a lot of the electronic ones on e-bay for

2. This is the first bike that I've owned that's had adjustable suspension. What kind of tool do I need to adjust the suspension?

2a. I think I've found the suspension adjustment (again, the PDF from yamaha wasn't very clear) for the front forks but can't find where the rear adjustment is. (I have hard bags on if that makes a difference)

3. I'm not afraid of doing some of my own maintenance especially since there really isn't anywhere local I can take the bike to get serviced. (thus question 1 about which service manual I should get) Are there any kind of "specialty tools" that I need to get? It already seems to me like I might need to get a tool to sync the carbs and some kind of low pressure inflator/gauge to check and adjust the suspension?

I think that may be it for now.

Thanks in advance!

Hello fellow riders.

electronic ones on e-bay for

2. This is the first bike that I've owned that's had adjustable suspension. What kind of tool do I need to adjust the suspension?

2a. I think I've found the suspension adjustment (again, the PDF from yamaha wasn't very clear) for the front forks but can't find where the rear adjustment is. (I have hard bags on if that makes a difference)

I think that may be it for now.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Site!! Don't give your money to ebay. Become a supporting member of this site for a meager $12.00 and I will gladly hook you up with link to download the official Yamaha Service manual with RSTD supplement in PDF format free and then you can print individual pages from it or the whole thing if you want to make your own paper copy. A member here has set up an FTP link to a server where you can download it. Its 64 mb so hopefully you have a decent Internet connection. Your 12.00 goes to help Don (Freebird) run and maintain the site.

The rear suspension is an air shock. If you still have the stock shock,the air valve for it is located on the right hand side of the bike above and to the rear of the side cover kind of below the seam where the driver and passenger pillion meet (that general area). There is plastic frame cover with the valve mou nted in it. The valve points up. The frame cover is black and so is the valve.

Agin Welcome. Good group and everything yoy ever wanted to know.

RSTDdog

irbk, welcome to the best forum on the Internet. (okay, one of the best.)

Do not hesitate to ask any and all questions about your bike on this site. The guys and gals are all very helpful. There are NO dumb questions, only unasked questions.

What color is your '06 RSTD ?

Read alot, have fun, and go ride that new bike.

Miles:bighug:

What color is your '06 RSTD ?

She's the pearl white one. I think that it's got a real "classic" feel to it. Really do love the bike. I'm still getting used to riding 2-up, but solo I hardly notice the weight difference between this bike and my old Honda 600 even though there is a several hundred pound difference.

Guest tx2sturgis

Yes the little Progressive Suspension air pump/gauge (30psi model) is handy for these bikes. Dont try to use any type of air compressor on those fittings, unless you can regulate the pressure down to less than 30 PSI or so. Even then, the volume needed is so low that you risk damage to the seals.

You probaby wont need a carb synch tool right away, unless the carbs have NEVER been synched...if that is the case, the bike will probably have a noticeable vibration during acceleration. If its smooth, your ok, at least for awhile.

One of the first things I did to mine was to replace the wimpy stock taillight with a nice bright LED module that fits under the stock lens. They are not cheap, but I like to be seen from behind in traffic. Getting rear-ended would ruin a persons day. :whistling:

Yes the little Progressive Suspension air pump/gauge (30psi model) is handy for these bikes.

One of the first things I did to mine was to replace the wimpy stock taillight with a nice bright LED module that fits under the stock lens.

Any place in particular you would recommend getting the progressive pump guy from? I found this one on Amazon for $40

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZPGCQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p263_d0_g263_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0FEJ5620KCCZY47XV12Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: Progressive Suspension GP3-30 '0-30 PSI' Mini Gauge Pump: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21q9leIX-IL.@@AMEPARAM@@21q9leIX-IL[/ame]

and I have an amazon prime membership, so free shipping (that's good). As for the taillight, is that the one from denniskirk? I know I've seen one on there but didn't pay too much attention to it. One of the guys in my local EAA chapter just got rear ended on his bike. He's got some broken bones and such but will live. Oy.

Guest tx2sturgis

I havent used the one without the hose, so I'm not sure if you can get it in there easily. I bought the one with the short hose attached.

As far as the LED taillight, check out this link:

http://www.customdynamics.com/Yamaha_tail_retro.htm

The online pictures dont do these things justice. They put out a LOT of light.

• Update: I looked again at your Amazon link and it does say that a hose is included...so I think that one should work fine.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I noticed you are from Racine we are having a get together maintenance day this friday, Sat, and Sunday Morning in Viroqua, Wi at Orlin's house you should come!!!

I'd love to but have family obligations this weekend that will prevent me from attending. Next time!

Guest tx2sturgis
The "non DOT approved" thing kind of worrys me? Should it?

I bought the 32 LED module, and its not searingly bright, and have never had a problem. All that notice really means is that IF you were to open up a custom shop and start cranking out custom bikes with that module installed, they could fine you for not meeting the DOT regs if the bike is sold across state lines.

There are some that might argue about the legalities, but its only a problem if an officer behind you is looking to pull you over for some OTHER reason. VERY few local officers will ever try to enforce DOT regs, unless its a helmet issue.

They can and DO endorse laws requiring you to have all your required lights working properly.

I have never had a problem and I cant recall ANYONE on this board ever being stopped for normal red LEDs on a bike. I think most officers realize we are just trying to stay alive out on the streets. Cops and the courts have better things to do than make you put a wimpy stock bulb back in there.

You'll be fine.

Edited by tx2sturgis