IGNORED

carb trouble in al

tazmocycle

i went a few weeks ago to help a young member with his 96 royal star 28mm carbs. got it to run better, but while checking out the float levels the drains screws wouldn't stop leaking. i was going to help him out after i got back from ohio, but he took it to a shop where the guy who owns and does the work. he worked on it and got it running good but when josh took it home it started leaking gas out the overflow again. he took it back and they worked on it again and said the carbs are right, but the gas is boiling in the carbs at about 100 dregees and causing the carbs to overflow. i was wondering if anybody else had heard of this before. i have worked on about 30 of these bikes and never ran into this at all. terry is the guy working on it and i invited him to come on and post on here and see if anybody can help him out. terry's two wheels is the name of his shop and i have sent several friends there that has bmw's as he is really good on them. he also works on several other brands of bikes including a couple of police harlies, hondas and bmws. i'll keep an eye out on this and let him know what to look for when he comes on the site.

Maby sombody has re-routed, some of the fuel lines, or moved the fuel filter, and run some of these components to close to an exhaust pipe.

Just a wild guess. Some of these bikes, has had aftermarket fuel pumps, and filters installed. Maby poor judgement in positioning one of the components.

Does this model have the carburetor heater circuits? I don't know exactly how those things work but maybe there's something like a temperature controller that has gone bad and the heater circuits are running continuously and not cutting off? I'm just guessing. Maybe Goose or someone else will chime in on this and explain. Keep us posted and good luck.

There is only 1 reason gas comes out the overflow the needle valves are not shutting off the gas when the bowl is full. 100 degrees is everyday around here and mine never boils gas out the overflow. If the gas was boiling you would get vapor out the overflow. there are a few reasons for the needle valves to leak the most common is contamination (something stuck in the valve) a bad float can cause it if the float leaks and gets gas inside the float it will no longer float and will not close the valve. The needle valves them selves could be worn out or damaged. excessive fuel pressure can cause overflow the valve can only hold a few lbs of pressure. Are all 4 leaking or just 1?

• 2 weeks later...

yes it's the same bike owned by jd, i helped him on it and went on vacation and he had took it to terry to fix. i have a coule of sets of carbs but been covered up at work as this weather is a killer of a/c! i offered to put a set of my carbs on it and see if we can get it going.

• 2 weeks later...

i went thru the set of carbs i have and made surethey were in good shape and took them up to terry's shop and gave them to him. he said he would get them in next week. hope this get it fixed for him, he's a little down on the bike now.

Well i went by terry's yesterday and they had put my set of carbs on the bike and ran it a bit. He said they leaked a little when they first started up but stopped. They had ran it several times and took it for about 30 minutes ride and said it ran great. They didn't sync the carbs, but they said it was running without any lugging or loss of power. After josh get back in town and get it back, i'll try to chech them oit and see if they are in-sync. I'm going to tear the old set down and see if i can find anything in them that was causing the problem. I'll post what i do or nor find. I hope this pick up josh's spirits and he gets to do some riding now.

i took the carbs apart and they looked clean all thru. looked at the floats and they looked a little odd. got my gauge out and measured them and they were set about 8 to 9 mms and they should be 14-15mms. they were also crooked from one float to the other on 3 of the carbs. where there's a double set of floats in each bowl the one on the side away from the needle valve was about a mm lower than the other one. terry wants me to let him know if i find anything wrong with them, so i'm going to set them up right and take before abd after pics to show him the differant. i'll probly put them on my bike and run them for awhile to make sure they are ok!! i'll post them on here when i get them done. just hope i can finto do it as i'm still loaded up at work.

Hey tazmo if I were to bring my carbs to yo could you go thru them as well and tell me if I need new or if those could be rebuilt im in no hurry as im getting another bike this weekend if all goes well im headed for north caroline tomorrow to get it and I know what you mean about work loading you up

yea! i thought about riding down to see you and spend a little time on the beach!! do you think they would let us set up a 10x10 canopy on the beach so we can tear them down there?? maybe grill a few burgers and dogs too? maybe a cooler of beer too?? lol!

i have to work sat(tomorrow) but will probly be around the house sunday. you can call me tomorrow and we can talk about it, don.