IGNORED

how would you fix this

The other day I was cleaning my bike and noticed a deep scratch on the rear of my trunk. looks like somebody may have keyed the bike. I am sure if I backed into something hard enough to make that scratch I would have noticed. How would you fix a deep scratch in the plastic. this is on a 2007 Midnight Venture. scratch appears to be light grey so assume the trunk is really grey plastic painted black. if it is black paint it will be hard to match.

Al

I've got a couple of scratches on my trunk lid, too. When they first appeared I couldn't figure out where they came from, and had the same idea as you, that someone else did it deliberately, maybe a kid.

After awhile I realized that I had done it myself by bumping into my trailer as I was maneuvering of my garage. I keep my trailer parked pretty close to the side of the garage where I keep the bike. I had been hitting the rear of the bike against metal bits on the trailer. And, I was never aware of it from the saddle. The license bracket on the trailer is at the perfect height above the trunk lid to dig a nice groove if I get the bike under it. It doesn't take much to dig a groove into the paint and plastic.

As to how to fix it, I'm not aware of anything that will do it perfectly short of a complete repaint. I just try to ignore it. Sorry for your pain. It hurts, I know!

everytime I look at the bike I see that scratch...now. To tell the truth I have no idea how long it has been there. Most of my tools and things I use on a regular basis have wear marks, scratches etc, so I guess this is just a sign of use, gonna get one of those wax crayons they sell for furniture scratches and then try to ignore the scratch. you know I had 11 bikes wedged into my garage this winter It could easily have come from that

Al

If it really bothers you fill the scratches with body filler or plastic putty. If you are careful you can use a credit card or something to get the surface even. Then touch up with matching paint from Color Rite. Rub it out and buff. It will probably still be visable just not as much.

Mike

Allen,

Can you post a picture of the scratch?

Just me thinking out of the box here, without being able to see the scratch, I do not know if is in a location where you could fill the scratch and then place a decal over it...

If this is not in your game plan of ideas, most body shops could touch it up where it is not noticable. You can remove the trunk and drop it off at a local body shop.. Within two to three days they should have it painted for you..:confused24: