IGNORED

A conundrum...?????????????

Condor

This story starts back in Feb'2012 when my beloved Motorvation Trailer got legs and disappeared over the horizon. Since the escape it's remained at large. It was insured so I wasn't worried about finding something to replace it, and after a few months I started shopping Craigslist instead of hoping to see the Motorvation listed for sale by the DS that took it. About a month ago I ran into a nice 2003 American Legend Trailer and bought it. It looks good behind the RSV even though it's black, and the price was very right. Fast forward to last weekend. Just before buying the AL I found a white 2010 Teardrop listed in a local auction, but ran into a scheduling problem and couldn't make the auction. To my surprise it turned up again last weekend due to the bidder not having the bucks to pay for it. So I bought it this time around. The price was very close to what I had paid for the Legend. I actually bought it to make a few bucks since I already had a trailer that I liked. Here's the conundrum.... The dang thing is growing on me, and now I don't know what to do??? Which one should I keep?? The Legend is built to retro blend with a Harley and does look good behind the '99. The Teardrop has cleaner lines and is like a cavern inside. Which way do you think I should go???

Pack everything you'd take on a trip in one and then transfer all that in to the other one. If one has extra space, keep it so if you buy something on the road you can pack it instead of shipping it home.

Just a thought.

Or pull each one and see which gets the better gas mileage.

Or keep both and trade off each trip.

I always handle these decisions like this:

1. Function is always first. It would appear either of these are perfectly capable of functioning with no repairs or little effort.

2. Money:mo money: Which one can you sell/turn and make the most money on. After all, more money has a way of getting us over the little things we may not like. The idea here is to end up with a functional trailer for NO money. How nice would that be!:cool10:

Ride on!:biker::biker:

Here is my 2 cents..for what its worth..

The black one would more then likely be just fine for any and all trups you plant to take in the futre. It has a much lower profile meaning a lot less air drag..

The White one looks much heavier and will have more air drag due to the blunt front of it. The White one will most likely also need a bra across the front to protect it from debris that will cause chips in the paint.

The black one already has the cooler mounted on it (no work involved), and it appears the cooler just about covers the whole front of the Black one so a bra may not be needed for it..

Ok,, now its time for you to make your mind up..

If you are anything like my son, you will do the complete opposite of what my opionion is.....:rasberry:

I like the looks of the Black one. What color is your bike?

It's a '99 silver/pewter Dan. The Motorvation was white and did look good with the silver. If I keep the black I'll probably end up painting it to match the bike, but the Teardrop would be left alone. :confused07:

What's the issue? Just to a tandum tow.....:rotfl: :rotfl:

:mytruck1:

Hmmmmmmm?? :whistling:

Your choice here Jack. Just to let you know I have the exact same teardrop that I've been pulling behind the trike for the last 3 years. I think either one looks good behind the RSV's.

Very nice looking combo Larry. With the ice chest mounted do you get many road dings??

I like the teardrop better, I think the rounded lines match the lines on the bike better. the other trailer looks ore angular like it would match the stright lines of the bags of a harley.

Brian

Good point......

Very nice looking combo Larry. With the ice chest mounted do you get many road dings??

Yes I do get road dings but remember I've got two big tires on back but no dings where the cooler sits. I think with your bike there's be much less chance of that happening.

For comparison the width of the trikes wheels are about 48", outside to outside. My trailer is 30" wide for the body with an additional 4" per side for the fenders, so it still tucks in nicely behind the 3 wheeler. I has seen other teardrops with the fenders built inside the body thou yours looks exactly like mine. Other dimensions are - 40" height from ground to top of body, 48" body length, & a 38" tongue from center of the coupling to the front of the body.

This is the company who built mine. I know there's others out there making them too. http://www.jemanufacturing.com/

Here's a couple links of those:

http://www.adventureteardrops.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=68&Itemid=125

http://www.adventureteardrops.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=68&Itemid=125

http://www.rvcapitalwholesalers.com/shopRVCW/pc/configurePrd.asp?idcategory=198&idproduct=17513

Even teardrop campers if one wanted one. Lots to chose from on the web.

Larry

Yes I do get road dings but remember I've got two big tires on back but no dings where the cooler sits. I think with your bike there's be much less chance of that happening.

For comparison the width of the trikes wheels are about 48", outside to outside. My trailer is 30" wide for the body with an additional 4" per side for the fenders, so it still tucks in nicely behind the 3 wheeler. I has seen other teardrops with the fenders built inside the body thou yours looks exactly like mine. Other dimensions are - 40" height from ground to top of body, 48" body length, & a 38" tongue from center of the coupling to the front of the body.

This is the company who built mine. I know there's others out there making them too. http://www.jemanufacturing.com/

Here's a couple links of those:

http://www.rvcapitalwholesalers.com/shopRVCW/pc/configurePrd.asp?idcategory=198&idproduct=17513

Even teardrop campers if one wanted one. Lots to chose from on the web.

Larry

Yep, this one is made by J&E also. The other style looks to be made out of paneling while the J&E is hand laid fiberglass. That may be the reason they're a little heavier. I called and talked to Eddie at J&E in Elkhart about getting another lock set for the hatch cover, and he kinda hinted that they haven't made any for about a year and a half... He also wholesaled them to American Teardrop here in Ca.,but it looks like they will be closing their doors in Loomis and moving somewhere in Nevada. Las Vegas I think?? So all the glass Teardrops come from J&E. Eddie said he did have extra keys for only about 5 different locks, and explained where to find the number. It was right where he said it would be.... :) So I'll be calling him monday to see about buying a key or two...

I guess that cooler would be blocking any road crud from hitting the trailer with only one wheel kicking up stuff and centered...

Go to the local Beer Store with your 3/4ton PU and load upwith cool ones.

Fill each trailer with cold 6packs, counting as you go.

Which ever trailer holds the most 6packs wins.

Give me the losing trailer full of beer.:cool10:

That's interesting news about J&E Jack. A good locksmith should be able to make keys for it. I sure like mine as it's a well built trailer. Nothing cheap or flimsy about it at all. Besides the quality of the teardrop I loved that it matches my trike body so well. Of course there's other trailers I like as well but got a decent deal on this demo when I bought it new.

I'd try to decide which body style I liked between those 2 trailers but put the quality , capacity, etc in the mix too. After doing all the grading between them you should have a winner. Going to be hard to go wrong with either one I suspect thou. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Well Jack did ya decide which one stays and which one goes yet?

Larry

I really haven't Larry, and I'm not just saying it. They both have their good points. If I do decide to keep the Teardrop I'll probably end up painting it like the Legend to match the bike. I've seen a couple of really cool looking schemes. I'll get serious when I finally get the paper work and registration on the Teardrop which should be in a couple of weeks. If I am going to get rid of one, I think the best time would be just before Sturgis.

I would do as some have mentioned, fill one with stuff, then transfer it all to the other and see which holds the most stuff. Then take them each filled with stuff on an afternoon ride and see which had the better fuel mileage as I have got a lot different mileage with different trailers. Or put a hitch under the tear ddrop and hook the American legend up behind it and pull doubles.:rotf:

I would do as some have mentioned, fill one with stuff, then transfer it all to the other and see which holds the most stuff. Then take them each filled with stuff on an afternoon ride and see which had the better fuel mileage as I have got a lot different mileage with different trailers. Or put a hitch under the tear ddrop and hook the American legend up behind it and pull doubles.:rotf:

I wonder if I need a Class A license to pull a set of doubles????? :) And I bet backing up would be intertaining.... :whistling::rotf: