IGNORED

Xmas in June...or so I thought

Miles

I thought it was going to be Xmas today, as I was expecting a couple of packages from vendors, and indeed the packages did show up. Yeah for UPS !

Package # 1 contained my new Flanders bars, and my new upgraded high output stator, all from Rick at Buckeye Performance. I am planning on installing the upgraded stator sometime in August, because I have rides between now and then, and that way I have it on before I go on the Three Flags Classic. So today I went about installing the new Flanders bars, part # 650-08783. All went as expected, no issues, and while I did maintain the positioning of wires and hoses on the clutch side, as they were originally...I did reroute all the wires and hoses on the throttle side to be behind the triple tree. I also installed new Kury Iso-grips, in all black...without the weighted bar ends.

I am happy with the installation, and in a short time I will get used to the newer longer bars, and the position they now put me in. I (believe) it will be a good thing, as I knew the OEM bars were too far forward.

Package # 2 contained my new Ultimate seat for my '06 RSMTD. (drum roll please)

Now folks, I have been around a long time, and as the name states...I have over a million miles on my butt. I knew when I took this seat out of the box that this was going to be a problem. I have owned over 25 motorcycles during the past 42 years of riding, and have had 9 saddles made by Russell Day-Long saddles. I am well known for being able to ride over 2,000 miles in 24 hours, so...I knew when I saw this seat that someone on the planet just surpassed Mike Corbin for making the worlds worst motorcycle seat.

I went ahead and mounted the new seat on my bike. Sat on it...cursed a few times...got back off the bike...looked it all over...took several measurements...sat back on the seat again...cursed several more times...and decided to be a glutin for punishment and take the bike for a ride. After 100 miles, which was a waste of time, I knew I had to send this new seat back.

The Ultimate seat website states that their seats are the same dimensions as the OEM seat, and positions the rider in the same place. That is not true. The "pocket" on this Ultimate seat is exactly 2" forward compared to the OEM seat. I felt like I was riding up on the tank. The quasi-back rest/butt rest at the back end of the seat is very much exaggerated in a forward position. I was hoping to TRY this seat on my ride next week to northern Calif., and if the seat worked, then I could cancel my appointment at Russell to have them build seat # 10 for me. I truly and honestly wanted this seat to work...because it would have saved me $ 300.00 off the cost of the Russell seat, when I include tarvel, motel, etc.

Now, I know...there are different seats for different butts. And if you have an Ultimate seat...and you like it, that is great. I am happy for you. And if you have a Corbin seat, and also like it, I am happy for you too. But for me, the Ultimate seat now has the title of the worst seat in the world, followed closely by Corbin. There is a reason that 80 % of the bikes at the start of an IronButt Rally have a Russell saddle on them.

I know that Terry and the folks at Russell can build a seat for me...in person...that will allow me to be comfortable riding 1500 mile days. I hate to spend the extra bucks, but in this case, you truly do get what you pay for.

That new Ultimate seat that showed up at noon today, will be shipped out tomorrow morning...back to Florida.

:(