IGNORED

Handle bar adjustment

I want to move my handle bars back a little.

After my first "long distance" ride to MD I came to the conclusion that the pain in my shoulders was due to reaching forward to grip the bars.

Si I took off the ignition switch cover and removed the big nuts and moved each bar back 1 spline. Due to the rake angle this also lowered the grips to the point that they were hitting the battery/air cleaner cover. So I loosened the upper bar nuts and raised the grip by 1 spline. this got them back to their original height. I have been riding it this way for a week now to try to get used to the new feel but I just don't like the new feel either. I do like the for/aft position as I can now utilize the backrest to actually support my back better since I am not leaning forward.

When the bars came back it also moved them a lot closer together and angled them back more. This combined with having to raise the grips for clearance puts the grips an an angle that causes a significant outward bend in my wrists that is uncomfortable. Also with the grips closer together I am no longer pushing into the curves but more of a pulling the bars sideways type of feel. This makes the bike feel very unsteady at low speed and I do not feel like I have solid control at high speed.

I was thinking of getting out the hot wrench to re-bend the bars to get back to the correct ergonomic angle for my wrists. and end up closer to having the effect of the bars just being moved straight back and not closer together.

Before I attack it with the torch I want to acquire a spare set of bars, JUST in case.

Or does anyone have any other ideas to just move the bars straight back without messing up everything else?

While searching, I did find someone that was going to make a set of 1st gen bar backs. I thought of that but I have no way to make an internal and external spline to mount the bars to.

Hey Jeff, that was me with the swapped risers. Here's the pic. Also, I have swapped over to regular handlebars that I need to "adjust" just a little more to be comfortable but otherwise I am happy with. So if you want a set of spare bars to try out, let me know. Oh, to flip them you have to drill out a little on the riser to allow the pin on the base to remain in place.

-Andrew

Handlebars02.jpg

I seem to recall reading somewhere that somebody had adapted a set or parts of ... was it the old Kawasaki Voyager bars or the Suzuki Cavalcade .... something like that?? to a 1st gen because of their different adjustments.

Also, my bike didn't have the decorative cover over the fork opening, so you'd have to remove that to swap the risers leftright. It also brings the handlebars real close to the fake gas tank cover and I couldn't (didn't) put the cables back inside the risers. And the clutch/brake reservoirs/hoses are jammed next to the risers.

Just an FYI.

-Andrew

I seem to recall reading somewhere that somebody had adapted a set or parts of ... was it the old Kawasaki Voyager bars or the Suzuki Cavalcade .... something like that?? to a 1st gen because of their different adjustments.

I put on Kawasaki Voyager bars. I was getting severe tendonitus in elbows. I pesonally think the angle and adjustments on the bars was a poor design. My wrists were at odd angles and I didnt like the lack of control feel. I like my bars more dirt bike style myself for me that's more comfortable and a better feel of bike control. Plus with regular bars you can add accessories easier. Depending on your risers I got a little more adjustment but you have to be careful of the windshield and tank cover etc. I also changed to a GSX600/750 master cylinder.

I also have a set Venture Bars you can have for the price of shipping if you want to try to modify them.

Here is a post of what I did at the bottom of page.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15246&highlight=handle+bars

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=3093&d=1190324841

Edited by CrazyHorse