Probably a one off, but if a heads up helps anyone ..

Had a meltdown couple of weeks ago (the 87 VR & me). Noticed the back half plastic fins on the right side-vent were warped. man was I pi@@ed, anyhoo, this was the only symptom of the motor overheating. it was extremely hot combined with city driving must have launched the motor temp. Temp gauge held steady slightly above normal on the green entire trip. (still don't understand why the temp gauge didn't redline) Didn't notice the fan cut in at any time, not to say it didn't, it is functional. There doesn't appear to be engine damage.

Long and short of it, found the top of the 2 part front cylinder head cover/heat deflector had come apart and partially slipped forward between the front cylinders and the rad fan. The upper cover is secured to chassis frame by friction fit and connect to each other by a rubber channel and a dozen interlocking male/female rubber prongs. Repositioned covers and end of problem methinks.

Checked front cylinder head covers this morning. Sure enough, they're separating slightly at the rubber channel. Reseated again, maybe zip tying them together would be one fix. Hope I'm on the right track here.

left fin in image is normal. tough getting decent pics of the cyl covers.

That's normal. On a 90+ degree day the bike will be near red unless you are going highway speeds. I removed my louvers completely from both sides after it melted a few of them. It's why the Louvers are not common on any bikes you see used, most people melt theirs and remove them.

ran out of spare louvres for right side, tried straightening warped louvres with hair dryer, lolol, S warp. At $160.00 a pop for replacement vent, removal sounds like the viable option. Ran 2 up 90*f a few hours yesterday afternoon no probs. Upper cylinder cover/deflector didn't shift.

I had to place a piece of ABS plastic in mine and tape them shut to keep my legs from melting off in the summer here. I want to make an ABS cover to totally block them for summer riding.

I have read here that there is enough air flow out the bottom for engine cooling.

This is just a thought, but what position is your drain valve set in? If it's set to 'on' the coolant will by-pass the thermostat and move fast enough thru the engine that it will not pick up heat efficiently , and the coolant will stay cool while the block will heat up. Set to the 'off' position will slow flows down and allow the radiator to do it's job.... This may also be the reason excessive heat is radiating off the block and melting louvers on those hot days..??

Tour-cruiser with auto ice maker would sell well over here today.

Condor, alignment with match mark on drain housing was set to off.

Given time restrictions here is temporary Mguiver Gorilla tape over 1/8" board fix. (did both sides) The tape held well considering sweltering temps. Eventually will mount permanent plate from the inside. Thanks for the inputs.

Edited by Max
both sides