IGNORED

Why I won't put off life...

I've had a few people wonder why I got back into biking some years back when money was and still is so tight these days. My career took a major hit 20 years ago and another one 10 years ago, so we have had to watch every penny, especially since my wife finally had to retire. I work at a crappy, frustrating job (commission only) that pays $12,000 in a good year and about $4,000 to $5,000 in a poor year (One good year in the past 7 - mostly poor to fair for the rest) with not too much available in retirement funds. At 64 years of age I can only hope to retire by the time I hit 75 - if I'm lucky. Now, as has been pointed out to me - I could sell a couple of bikes and a car (Only need one car if I don't work) and with the insurance and maintenance savings and selling the house, I could retire now - and sit at home watching TV all day! No thanks! I enjoy riding - the bikes, the open air, the people - everything! The house will hopefully be sold this year (It's bigger than we need, but the market is crap for this one around here) but I'll keep the job. Why? Well, as I've told others, I want to live not just survive. The day will come soon enough when all we can do is sit and watch. I'd like to try and enjoy life with my wife while we still can. We have had some tough times and made a lot of sacrifices to make sure that our girls had a good education (They each have a University degree and a college diploma) so that they wouldn't get nailed like us. Now we want to enjoy life as much as we can.

So why this story now? My neighbour Ben, a good old fashioned Italian gentleman turned 75 this year. He was still working at his job (Low stress - selling men's clothing in a high end shop) and trying to save up for a better retirement after he and his wife put their two girls through school. Well, I found out yesterday that Ben has been diagnosed with Leukemia - this after having heart problems for the past 12 years. I've always tried to help out (Clean out their driveway every winter since he can't and paying to have it done gets expensive in a bad winter.) but there's not much I can do to help him now, except be there for him. So ... I continue to not put off having some fun with my wife (Awww come on - get your minds out of the gutter!) on the bike and enjoying life as best we can. I'm not a spiritual or religious person, but Ben is and I'm sure he would appreciate knowing others were praying for him. So you're welcome to send a few his way. He may not be a biker, but he is "good people" and deserves a break.

Thanks,

Andy

I will remember your neighbor Ben in my prayers. Hope he and his family the best. Take care Andy. Nice of you to pass this along. I would always want a friend as you.

Hope your circumstances also change. Life is good, and I am also blessed, for I am happy and satisfied with my income and my life. Money is not what life is all about, all though it really does help to have enough to keep the wolf at bay.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2: :usa:

It's not the destination - it's the journey. You have to enjoy the ride of life. I've told the kids there is much more to life than a mortgage and car payments. You can't take it with you - never seen a U-Haul following a hearse.

Darthandy

This is the very thing that had happened to me, your neighbor is not anything new and people think that they can save and save for that better nest egg. I was let go from a job of 21yrs and days before my 50th birthday and vacation I was let go.

I too have had this feeling that my life is just a waste doing what the "man" wants. I have had my bike for 1.5yrs and have taken on this mission for my wife and I to see our USA... See it before it see's me go. Make it or call it a "bucket list" , something to do and all to see.

I worked my rear off making someone alot of money and yes they paid me well but all of a sudden they wanted a couple of kids to do my job and with no regard as to what it would do to me.

Please take into yourself all the time you want to see your wife and life and USA that you want, you owe it to you and yours alone. We only go around once and then theres eternity...

sincerely

Angel:080402gudl_prv:

When people ask me why I live the way I do ( as if there is no tomorrow....because there might not be) I tell them that when I am in the nursing home or on my death bed i want to be able to smile and say " I am glad I did" not frown and say "I wish I had".:cool10: