IGNORED

help with problem on 2006

Ok here the deal.

Several times the bike has cut out like it is starving or out out of gas.

One time I choked it and it started but when I tried to give it gas it bogged downand died.

I leave it set for a while and it starts and runs fine.

Today i brought it home and pulled the tank and the air boxes.

First thing I noticed was oily stuff under the rail that holds the wires down.

This is left side ONLY. Right looks nice and dry and clean.

Oily and messy. I pulled the plug and it is clean and dry no signs of oil blowing by it.

What do I need to look fo ras the cause I am going out to walmart to buy carb cleaner and clean it all up really good then keep a close eye on it.

Any help would be great.

It is a 2006 with about 40,000 on it.

If its bogging and dieing you have a fuel problem. Its a problem with your filter or your fuel pump. Apperently the fuel pumps on these bike have been know to go bad. I would change the filter first, then check the pump.

Based on the very limited information here, I'd bet your fuel filter is clogged, or maybe the petcock intake screens. Could easily be a pump going south, but the fact that you have heard it several times in one day says it could just as easily be struggling to suck the gas as intermittently trying to pump.

Your best test is to bypass the pump and run on gravity feed for a bit - if the fuel line and filter are good, it will run perfectly on anything over 1/4 tank of gas without a pump.

Goose

Thanks for the great info I just got a new filter and I am going to change it out.

Is the oily stuff around the top of the carbs where the boots from the air box slides down over them? I had the same problem and found mine where coming loose and causing a little bits of gas to pop out at times. I actually found that the boots were turned around 180 degrees from the way they should have set in there. I turned them, cleaned everything up and the oily problem is gone.