IGNORED

coolant vs antifreeze (question)

midnightrider1300

you plan on a lot of 100 plus degree riding or sitting in traffic for hours on 100 plus days if not I wouldn't spend anything extra. IMHO

well here in Alabama upper 90's with heat index well over 100, so i was just wondering if the coolant additive was worth the $$ and if it worked as advertised..

I have wondered the same thing. On the one hand if it would actually run a bit cooler that would be good. The other school of thought is the motor was designed to run at XXX temp. The thermostat is still going to open at xy degrees wether its water, water/glycol or water/water wetter or the like. I think its more a recovery thing. How long does it take for the coolant whatever it is to get back down to a temp that helps cool. How fast it sheeds the heat. If its on sale it probably aint going to hurt nothing, most have corrosion inhibiters.

well here in Alabama upper 90's with heat index well over 100, so i was just wondering if the coolant additive was worth the $$ and if it worked as advertised..

How you gonna tell if they work or not? You having heating problems now? Also heat index has nothing to do with how warm your bike runs. If it is 95 degrees the bike don't know it feels like 102. I tried the stuff in an old GW I had and couldn't tell the difference by the guage

yup

everything said above.

The bike does not see heat index. Only you do.

The thermostat will keep the engine at the same temp regardless of what is circulating in the system.

The ONLY time a more efficient coolant will help is if you are having overheating problems where you have exceeded the capacity of the cooling system.

with all that above being said here in MS, AL, FL, and LA the heat index can play a role as the humidity goes up the heat index react the same it goes up making for the cooling system to work harder or take longer to cool down in which you can exceed your cooling capacity when sitting in trafic or on a slow run i have not run it in my bike yet as it is still down but i have run it in several vehicles which it has helped (when following directions):confused24:. yes the thermostate works at a predetermind or set temp that it will open and close as it should but in the temps we have you sometimes do exced your cooling capacity and with an aditive in it, it help to cool it down some just pay close attention to the instruction and follow them to the letter if you do not it will be money wasted and will not help any cooling problems you may or may not have. just my 2cents and experience good luck if you decide to use it.

with all that above being said here in MS, AL, FL, and LA the heat index can play a role as the humidity goes up the heat index react the same it goes up making for the cooling system to work harder or take longer to cool down in which you can exceed your cooling capacity when sitting in trafic or on a slow run i have not run it in my bike yet as it is still down but i have run it in several vehicles which it has helped (when following directions):confused24:. yes the thermostate works at a predetermind or set temp that it will open and close as it should but in the temps we have you sometimes do exced your cooling capacity and with an aditive in it, it help to cool it down some just pay close attention to the instruction and follow them to the letter if you do not it will be money wasted and will not help any cooling problems you may or may not have. just my 2cents and experience good luck if you decide to use it.

Thats not correct when the humidity goes up the heat index goes up the reason the heat index goes up is because the cooling effect from evaporation goes down. It feels hotter to you because your perspiration does not cool your body as well in humid air. Your bike does not perspire at least mine doesn't. When the heat index goes up you bikes cooling system become more efficient because humid air absorbs more heat than dry air.

To answer the first question don't waste your money if your cooling system is in good condition 100+ temps are no problem for you bike.

yea my bike does perspire when i sit on it maybe your right that is what i was told about heat index im not a meoroli im no weather man or doc i know some things and dont know others i say what im told if it sounds right and it sounded right because i had 6 or 7 people try to explain to 450 of us workers how the humidity works with the heat index i thought i was using the same and right princaple if im wrong then i am wrong sorry i should have done my homework first on that but for the additive in coolant i use it in some vehicles and not in others i do know hot humid air is still hot humid air when it blows

i guess ignorance is no excusse and im full of it you are right redneck i had it completly wrong i thought it did not sound write when i was typing that post its been a bad day so far the blank has hit the fan and my mind aint workin right today i will bow out nd go home now

Edited by pmelah

yea my bike does perspire when i sit on it maybe your right that is what i was told about heat index im not a meoroli im no weather man or doc i know some things and dont know others i say what im told if it sounds right and it sounded right because i had 6 or 7 people try to explain to 450 of us workers how the humidity works with the heat index i thought i was using the same and right princaple if im wrong then i am wrong sorry i should have done my homework first on that but for the additive in coolant i use it in some vehicles and not in others i do know hot humid air is still hot humid air when it blows

i guess ignorance is no excusse and im full of it you are right redneck i had it completly wrong i thought it did not sound write when i was typing that post its been a bad day so far the blank has hit the fan and my mind aint workin right today i will bow out nd go home now

My 2cents says its the same as wind chill it only has an effect on people not cars or objects

Calm down take a deep breath exhale slowly things will get better. I was not trying to reprimand you I was just trying to explain how it worked and I obviously did it the wrong way. I apologize for getting you riled up.

ok there are coolants that claim to help a motor run 10-25 degrees cooler, do they work? or is it better to use antifreeze/coolant for the summer?

Hello,

I am the tech manager at Prestone. Couple things, first off, making your bike run cooler completely upsets the factory calibration of the engine. The performance will suffer including the fuel economy and emissions. They regulate the temp to optimum for the engine calibration.

The other issue is corrosion protection. Lots of the "super cooling fluids" contain little or no corrosion inhibitors. A disaster in a aluminum engine. High quality extended life coolant at 50/50 mix is all you need.

I took a test ride on an 07 RS Venture....loved the bike but was negatively impressed by the heat coming off the engine. It was 80 & sunny but still seemed excesive.

In the market

:Venture:

If the fan kicks on you will get a blast of hot air while sitting still and all that wind protection does hold the heat in. A good set of highway pegs makes a big difference in the hot months. But it is sure nice and toasty in the winter when everyone else is in the Garage.:2cents: