IGNORED

Pulled Cassette, Radio Died

terryc

I’m desperately hoping someone here can give me a clue, my radio has died and I have no clue what to do.

I pulled out the cassette player to make a spot to stick my iPod. When I put everything back together the radio no longer works. It acts like the antenna isn’t there, the aux input plays fine, but I get nothing on FM and only static on AM and CB (though I never use the CB so maybe there just isn’t any traffic around here).

The connector is plugged into the amp. I checked continuity back from the plug that goes into the amp to the antennas. Both the base and the antenna on the CB side checked out. On the radio only the base checked out, but I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

There isn’t any connection between the cassette and the radio is there, I hope? Anyone have any ideas?

Oh, this is a 2005 Venture.

Edited by terryc
Add Bike Model

There isn’t any connection between the cassette and the radio is there?

Yep thar are. Radio won't work without the cassette deck.

BUT...

There is a way: You need to install a jumper plug (was originally tied to the amplifier harness) short DIN connector with a single jumper wire. Do not have one here to look at but in my drawing it jumps from the 6 o'clock pin to the 3 o'clock pin. Not sure which way you are to be looking at the connector so could be 9o'clock. Hopefully someone will jump in with a picture of the plug!

Sorry, I thought you were working on a First Gen. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58880

Edited by Prairiehammer
Correction as to what model we are talking about.

I made a glove box out of my cassette play a month ago. Radio works the same as it always did with no extra fusing around. All I can suggest is the antenna is not fully connected. If it worked before the modification it should work now. But with trying to get the cassette player out past all the wires something must of come loose

I did a search for removing the cassette on a 2nd Gen and didn't find anywhere that mentions a jumper across a plug to make the stereo work. Best summary is :

richiej :

Answer to removing Cassette

The stereo should still work, but you would still need to run the AUX connector to a new place on the fairing. Most of the face plate on the cassette box is used to hold the spring loaded door, and for the two inner fairing screws. You can probably do without the two screws, and if you can do without the door, you could cut a pretty large hole for accessories, like a glove box without a door. I think that it looks better with the door though, therefore, the slot would have to be pretty small.

Also Sylvester :

Yes unplug the cassette. All will function as normal if everything else is in good shape. Taking the whole thing out is not a problem. There are threads on this in the tech articles. Many of us have taken this out and installed gauges where the door used to be.

The jumpered DIN is for a 1st Gen :

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-41100.htm

If you plug the cassette back in, does the radio work? Start with some basic trouble shooting.

Well, I could probably do that if I knew what I was doing.

I'm thinking that there is only one antenna connection to the amp, that being the bullet shaped connector. I'm also thinking that the AM/FM antenna is the one without the load on it, and that it should be on the right hand side (while sitting in the saddle).

Am I thinking correctly?

I have to admit that I kinda screwed up the cassette while removing it, so reconnecting it to see if that makes the problem go away isn't feasible. Otherwise I would have done that right off. I can get one off eBay for $40, but that's kind of expensive for a long shot.

Edited by terryc
More Info

I pulled the cassette deck on my '06 to put in a set of gauges. I've still got the instructions Ponch sent along with the gauges, and I took a quick look at them. I see nothing about a jumper anywhere. As I recall, you could just pull the caseete deck without affecting anything else. I'm guessing that some connection got loosened up in the process of doing everything else. Good luck!!:confused24:

Guest scarylarry

When I installed the gauges I just unplugged the cass. and everything works...

Look and make sure the connections are put back together correctly, mine was color coded blue to blue etc.

Should be a small piece of tape wrap around each connector...

Man Larry your everywhere too. Like Bob Meyers. lol I'm leaning like I said towards something with the antenna. If it picks up AM it must be working. Have you got an old car antenna laying around by chance to slave in to try?

There weren't any loose connections that I could find. I'm about 99.99% sure I got everything hocked up the way it is supposed to be. The spare antenna idea is a good one, but I don’t have one.

So I gave up, and took it into the dealer. The fairing was off and everything is out in the open, so hopefully they won’t beat me up ~too~ bad when I get the bill. Hopefully they can figure it out.

One quick question though, any of you guys that have worked on your amplifier before: do you disconnect the battery first? I didn’t, I’m wondering if I might have zapped it somehow.

I'll report back what the dealer comes up with.

OH NO possibly the blue smoke got out? Seriously you may be onto something. I supose static might zap it. I would think as long as key was off no voltage going to unit there shouldnt be any way you could short out anything. You didnt hear a pop or anything while working on it did you?

No, I didn't hear a pop or anything, but if it isn't anything else.... Also this was the answer I was dreading so it will probably the the one I will get.

Those units retail for something like $1200. Hopefully if that's the answer the dealer comes up with I can find a used one somewhere for a more reasonable price.

Guest scarylarry

Don't go thinking the worst yet. You did say that the AM does work some...So that might mean it is not pop..

I went back through the posts but didn't see where anyone mentioned the squelch on the CB. Make sure the CB is off.

I don't think there is a Mute on these radios but I do believe there is a automatic volume control, which I have never found, that maybe causing the problem.

Like some others said, check all the connections including the antenna connections.

Maybe there is a wire or antenna wire pinched somewhere.

Intercom?

I don't believe you fried the radio though.

Keep looking, 1200 dollar radio may not be the cure and the dealer won't

know for sure either, all they do is swap parts tell it works!!!

BOO

This post is a bit spooky after yesterdays ride. 2/3 of the way through a 200 mile ride I get nothing on FM and barely anything on AM. Did nothing but ride, no working on anything.

I may have hit a wrong button when trying to manually tune, but can't get anything to come back. I was wondering if antennas can just go bad? Or an antenna connection.

And now i get ready to start my work road trip so I can't even work on it till Thursday.

I do get music if I plug my Ipod in using a cassette adapter. And the bike is a first gen 86.

Edited by JohnT
adding information

John T

I know nothing about Gen 1 Ventures , but there was a post here on the forums the other day where someone just found out there was a MUTE button on his Gen 1, said he had been putting up with low volume for a long time, when he hit the mute button it UN MUTED the radio and nearly made him death. Maybe that is your issue, maybe you bumped the mute button on your ride? Just a thought.

Steve, thanks but that's not it. I did however turn up the volume the other day, get little or nothing, remembered the post and hit the button. :) Was eye opening.

I can hear cassette audio, and a bit of AM, but get no reception on FM. I was thinking of the "MarshallMod" which is basically upgrading to a Firestick antenna. Just hate to spend money if I don't have to.

from the original post "it acts like the antenna isn’t there,, , but I get nothing on FM and only static on AM" is what I am getting.

Edited by JohnT
additional information

On the first gen the radio/cassette unit pulls up and out of the dash. On the back of the unit it plugs into the dash with a connector with several pins. You need to clean those and put some dielectric on the pins and you should be fine.

BOO

Steve, thanks but that's not it. I did however turn up the volume the other day, get little or nothing, remembered the post and hit the button. :) Was eye opening.

I can hear cassette audio, and a bit of AM, but get no reception on FM. I was thinking of the "MarshallMod" which is basically upgrading to a Firestick antenna. Just hate to spend money if I don't have to.

from the original post "it acts like the antenna isn’t there,, , but I get nothing on FM and only static on AM" is what I am getting.