IGNORED

Harley Ultra Classic Oil Recommendations

lshafer

First of all, don't judge. I traded in my RSTD a couple of months ago for a 2012 Ultra Classic. It's a beautiful bike and a blast to ride. Nothing against my RSTD because I loved that bike to, I was just looking for something different. Anyway, I'm sticking around this site because of the knowledgable folks and because everyone is so nice. I know there are a handful of folds that have Harley around here and I was hoping to get some advice. Oil is a huge topic regardless of the type of bike you ride and it seems everyone has an opinion. I've pretty much decided to stick with regular mineral oil, not synthetic. This decision was based on the fact that I've ran regrular oil in every machine I've ever owned and never once have I had an oil related issue. I'm a 2500 to 3000 oil change guy so I just fail to see what the benefit is of paying the extra money for synthetic. That being said, what are you Harley riders' recommendations for regular old mineral oil in the engine, primary and transmission?

Thanks guys.

Les

I can't recommend a dino oil since I have been using synthetic oils for the past many years. In my RoadStar I use Mobile1 and HD Syn3 for all three holes in my 09 Ultra Classic. I myself change mine out at 2500 miles due to the heat these air cooled motors generate.

I didn't really answer your question tho. :confused07:

I can't recommend a dino oil since I have been using synthetic oils for the past many years. In my RoadStar I use Mobile1 and HD Syn3 for all three holes in my 09 Ultra Classic. I myself change mine out at 2500 miles due to the heat these air cooled motors generate.

I didn't really answer your question tho. :confused07:

Just a quick question? won't the synthetic make the clutch slip on the Yamy being it is a wet clutch...........just asking......thats why i use dino oil because thats what i heard....if it won't i'm going to switch next oil change

First of all, don't judge. I traded in my RSTD a couple of months ago for a 2012 Ultra Classic. It's a beautiful bike and a blast to ride. Nothing against my RSTD because I loved that bike to, I was just looking for something different. Anyway, I'm sticking around this site because of the knowledgable folks and because everyone is so nice. I know there are a handful of folds that have Harley around here and I was hoping to get some advice. Oil is a huge topic regardless of the type of bike you ride and it seems everyone has an opinion. I've pretty much decided to stick with regular mineral oil, not synthetic. This decision was based on the fact that I've ran regrular oil in every machine I've ever owned and never once have I had an oil related issue. I'm a 2500 to 3000 oil change guy so I just fail to see what the benefit is of paying the extra money for synthetic. That being said, what are you Harley riders' recommendations for regular old mineral oil in the engine, primary and transmission?

Thanks guys.

Les

What does Harley owners manual say?

What does Harley owners manual say?

Harley says you should use HD oil (of course). I just don't want to travel over an hour to an HD dealer in my area just to get oil. There are plenty of other quality oils for bikes that I can pick up at auto parts stores or maybe even Walmart.

Just a quick question? won't the synthetic make the clutch slip on the Yamy being it is a wet clutch...........just asking......thats why i use dino oil because thats what i heard....if it won't i'm going to switch next oil change

Not unless it's got friction modifiers in it. Mostly that's when people try to use regular automotive synth oil and don't check out the seal on the back of the bottle to see if it says "friction modifiers".

Many here have used synth oil and don't have any problems. I've used Mobil 1 4T and am now using Rotella T-6 synth and have had no problems with slippage.

Harley says you should use HD oil (of course). I just don't want to travel over an hour to an HD dealer in my area just to get oil. There are plenty of other quality oils for bikes that I can pick up at auto parts stores or maybe even Walmart.

Well, I say take a one hour ride, don't just buy the oil, get the filter too. And a new (louder) exhaust system. And some safety chrome. And some Harley Davidson boots. And a couple T-shirts. And a vest. There, that covers about a half dozen trips to get HD oil.

Last HD I owned was a '61 XLCH Sportster back in the mid-60's. I would suggest using what the owner's manual recommends. Remember this is a air-cooled V-TWIN, and the oil for these engines has to fill a different need than a liquid cooled engine.

I've got a buddy that has an 07 Heritage. He looked for quite some time to find a sutabe sub oil for the expen$ive HD oil. Check the owners manual it will tell you what the spec needs to be as far as SG-SJ-SH or whatever. It will also say probalby JASMO. Which is a fancy abrev for something like Japanese Assoc Spec Motor Oil. (close but not exact) Anyways that is the key to a non-slipping clutch. Cage oil that will work in a bike is getting harder and harder to find because they are dropping the weights. He is using a oil recomended for diesel trucks, much like the Rotella T6. I think its maybe a Dello or something but in a 50w. The air cooled bikes need a bit more viscosity I guess to help keep thier cool. I used the Mobil 1 20w50 v-twin oil. It is a Syn. But there are some other out there you can get @ your local Autozone-Advance parts house.

Oh yea , dont forget there is more oil to change in the gearbox (its seperate) and the primary.

Yup! Air cooled engines do a number on the viscosity of oil fer sure!! Synthetic oils keep their viscosity longer but if it is a new bike some actual wear is important to the breaking in of an engine, so you may want to consider a blended type oil that is partial synthetic. You may want to read the fine print on your warranty because knowing Harley, use of non HD oil may void your warranty...

As long as no friction modifiers your ok.

I used Castrol 20/50 in my last Hardley (sorry) It was a 56 Pan. I've used the Castrol 20/50 in every bike since the mid-60s and it has worked great. Yamalube or Harley oil is a good way to get rid of extra cash... I actually been looking at the Rotella because of ease to get but just won't turn loose of the castrol til I have to. Sam's Club is selling a 6 gallon box of Rotella (spelling?) for a great price. Around 76 bucks?? And they don't do Castrol anymore.Wally World has the Castrol.Use a Good oil and change it as you should.

Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline,Royal Purple, are all synthetics I've read or heard about in the big oil debate. I still have HD synthetic in mine as of now. Will probly switch to Mobil 1 when I do switch.

I am using a synthetic in my Ultra Limited, but when I needed to add oil in my previous '03 I found that they recommend a diesel rated dino oil. Hard to find in the right viscosity sometimes but its out there.

I know a guy from Ontario that had an 09 Ultra and used reg. HD oil in it. Changed it every 5,000 untill he hit 50,000 miles then every 3,000 untill 90,000 miles. No work done on engine, just regular maintance. He just traded it for a new one. He said something about warrenty being void if you didn't use HD oil. I have heard simular stories, so you had better check with dealer to be safe. My 09 Ultra had HD sny.3 in it and after warrenty was up switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin sny. oil. Very happy with it so far.