I'm helping a friend with his 83 venture, not charging, at all. At the 3 white wires from the stator, I am getting between 9-11 volts on all white wires, however, when I measure from any white wire from the stator to grd, I am getting continuity. As I understand, there should be no continuity from the stator wires to grd. Also, I have tested the diodes in the rectifier, with a DVOM on the diode test position, and I have continuity in both directions, on all diodes except 2. Again, as I understand, there should only be continuity in one direction of a diode, so that fails the r/r as well. My question is, am I right in these conclusions, or am I missing something. Also, I think this is an aftermarket r/r. It has the 3 white wires, 2 black wires and 2 red wires. Also, there is no brown wire, which I read in previous posts, this is a voltage sense wire for the factory original r/r, not the aftermarkets. All comments will be appreciated, thanks.

Later model R/R's did not have the brown wire on the 1st Gens.

Attached is a PDF on checking diodes, if any fail, trash R/R

If stator is unplugged, there should be no continuity to ground.

Are you measuring AC volts on stator, should be a lot higher than what you have.

Gary

Later model R/R's did not have the brown wire on the 1st Gens.

Attached is a PDF on checking diodes, if any fail, trash R/R

If stator is unplugged, there should be no continuity to ground.

Are you measuring AC volts on stator, should be a lot higher than what you have.

Gary

Yes, stator was unplugged.

"...Also, I have tested the diodes in the rectifier, with a DVOM on the diode test position, and I have continuity in both directions, on all diodes except 2...."

That is your problem: Diodes only has continuity on one direction. That is their Job (Rectify). The 2 you mention only has continuity on one direction? if yes, they're OK. If no continuity at all? they 're blowed.

The ones that has continuity on both: ARE GONE...

If I was you, I put all new rectifier bridge.

:no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no::no-no-no:

Not bad news, Just a $300 repair + a day to disassemble and install the new. It's not hard except for the screws that hold the stator to the cover, yamaha had godzilla install those.

And dont do OEM parts. Upgrade to a Hot Shot stator from Ricks and a modern R&R. The stock ones are junk compared to the new ones.

One of the guys here is selling a whole kit to do everything, That is the way to go. Contact Skydoc_17 he might still have a kit or two left.